Author Topic: Suugested Selling Price for 2017 CT  (Read 3476 times)

• Offline Lakes Duo

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    13
    • Topic Author

Offline Lakes Duo

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Suugested Selling Price for 2017 CT
    on: Aug 21, 2018, 10.09 am
    Aug 21, 2018, 10.09 am
    Hi Folks

As much as this forum has been really useful, I've decided to sell my CT. The one thing I hadn't foreseen was issues of getting the beast in and out of my garage due to the slope of the driveway. It's a real handful and I've already had one accident (and almost a few others) getting it in and out, to the point where I now dread taking it out. So I need to sell and opt for something which is a bit more manageable.

There is a small scrape to one of the protective bars, but that's it. No panniers ………….. but is it worth me getting hold of a set in order to sell the bike? It has been service by Honda and has done under 5,500 miles

My main question though is how much is it worth? I've tried using a website where they call you back, but needless to say I told the muppet that he must think I'm stupid if I was going to sell to him at their suggested price. So that was a waste of time!

I've trawled ebay and dealers have them on the forecourt for around £9,900 up to £10,950. I know that I am not going to achieve this at the top end, but recommendations as to how much I can realistically sell it for would be greatly appreciated.

As all the adverts quote ……………. one careful lady owner of course. Well ok, scrap the lady bit. But it has been garaged during it's short life with me (I had it from new) and I used it to recently pass my IAM test (even got a F1rst !!!!). Must have been all the cups of tea I bought my examiner.

I did consider keeping it as a trade-in which is still an option. But taking into account that it will soon go into hibernation for the winter it's just going to sit in the garage and I would rather know that it's gone to another home. Another reason is that I have costs like insurance renewals coming up, so I am thinking that at least if I sold now privately then I can start afresh with a new bike before next Spring.

All and any suggestions welcome. 

Many thanks all.

• Offline FZ1

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    261

Offline FZ1

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: CT 2012 Manual
    • City / Town: Cambridgeshire
    Re: Suugested Selling Price for 2017 CT
    Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2018, 07.42 pm
    Aug 21, 2018, 07.42 pm
    No idea about the value, but have a look at Bike Trader, MCN sales (you've already done eBay Motors), etc, to get a real-world idea of what people are asking (obviously they  sell for less than the advertised price, but it'll give you a pointer)

Cheers,

Jon

• Offline Slidy

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    116

Offline Slidy

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Crosstourer, S10
    Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2018, 06.38 am
    Aug 22, 2018, 06.38 am
    When you say you've trawled ebay, did you use the 'show only' filter to show just 'Sold Items'? it might give you the prices actually achieved.

FZ1 (obviously they  sell for less than the advertised price, but it'll give you a pointer)

Not necessarily true. I buy and sell all of my bikes on ebay and have had mixed results over the years. I bought a W650 10 years ago, rode it for over a year, put it back on, and got £500 more than I paid for it.
    Earlier this year I put my CT on for £7,000, and was offered £6,750 for it. If I needed to sell I would've taken that as it was close enough, but as it was I had decided that if it didn't hit the £7,000 mark I would keep it for at least another year.

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2018, 07.23 am
    Aug 22, 2018, 07.23 am
    Because you hibernate your bike in the winter makes situation more difficult. Unless your lucky if you are going to sell privately it will have to be well under market price. If you did not hibernate a bike I would go for a PX before your insurance is due assuming you know what bike will suit you although dealers will not be very interested in a CT at this time of year. One other thing if you have room in your garage you could purchase a turntable so you can ride the bike in and then turn it around that's assuming you would then want to keep the CT. Good luck.
    Bill

• Offline FZ1

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    261

Offline FZ1

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: CT 2012 Manual
    • City / Town: Cambridgeshire
    Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2018, 05.46 pm
    Aug 22, 2018, 05.46 pm
    *Originally Posted by Slidy [+]
    Not necessarily true.

Fair cop - I don't buy/sell too often so i'm probably out of touch with the market!

Cheers,

Jon

• Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    610

Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master
    Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2018, 11.20 am
    Aug 23, 2018, 11.20 am
    You have had it from new, done 5500 miles on it and passed your IAM test, so you are obviously competent. Its a heavy bike and you (we) need to take care moving it around at standstill, I have the same problem, as I keep mine in a workshop that not only has a door that is a bit narrower than the handlebars, but have to push it up a ramp to get through the door, as the workshop floor level is about 400 mm higher than ground level. I haven't dropped it yet, but have had some near misses!. What I do use, once inside is to put it onto a Heavy Duty Centre Stand Bike Mover, so that I can put it where I want it in my workshop and also easily turn it round to get it out again.
    Having said that, if you want to get rid of it and are going to buy another (lighter) bike why not just PX it and if you dont want to use it over Winter, just leave it in the garage (insured or not, your choice) Yes you are going to take a hit on the selling price, but then you know that.
    Good luck, whatever you decide

• Offline Lakes Duo

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    13
    • Topic Author

Offline Lakes Duo

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2018, 02.38 pm
    Aug 23, 2018, 02.38 pm
    It's a nice idea and one that someone else had recommended. Sadly though, you have to take into account the state of my garage. Whilst most riders seem to benefit from the luxury of a tidy garage, mine represents a small building site accompanied by cement mixers, wacker plates and a plethora of building supplies.

Even with my son's trials bike having recently been sold providing me with a little bit of extra space, just getting on and off the bike is 'an experience.' To say that there isn't enough room to swing a cat isn't even appropriate as I would relish having that amount of space. Not that the cat would enjoy the experience however.

So the prospect of some form of turntable just isn't going to sort the problem. And it isn't just the garage as the start of the driveway begins with a large 'hump' which means that I have to sit on the bike and push it backwards over the rise just to get it onto the driveway at which point it wants to go 50mph backwards.

The fact is, I've almost lost the bike on too many occasions to the point where ownership is no longer enjoyable and the bike has sat in the garage since the day I passed my IAM test. I still carry the shoulder injury from the last time it caught me off guard getting it out of the garage when I thought it was going to tear my shoulder out of it's socket - and that was about 3 months ago. And I'm not on the small size either so the ratio of bike weight to my build is not the issue.

So whilst  I really appreciate the constructive solutions that people have offered, it isn't going to change the fact that in my mind I have decided that it is time to part company. It's like having a girlfriend that cheated on you. Do you really want to stick it out for it to happen again???

I have looked into a trade-in, but before potentially going down that route I thought I would at least make an attempt at selling it privately so that someone can benefit from it (a better price) compared to paying dealer prices. Having scoured ebay, Bike Trader and MCN, all similar speced 2017 bikes being sold by dealers are priced between £9,900 and £10,500. Yes these are dealer prices, but that's exactly my issue as there isn't a single one listed as a private sale so I have no idea what to expect or ask for.

Needless to say, even though the dealer was quick enough to take my money when buying the bike - even they can't be arsed to give me a reply to the same question, so at the moment I am frustratingly none-the-wiser. 

• Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    610

Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master
    Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2018, 03.04 pm
    Aug 23, 2018, 03.04 pm
    okay, so here's my advice, for what its worth. Ebay Classified listing for £9000, with 'make an offer', sit back and see what happens. :002: