DSC09216

Views: 426
Posted by: redbaron
in: Redbaron
DSC00342

Views: 200
Posted by: NJW1200X
in: NJW1200X

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: DCT Transmission 'clatter'  (Read 1722 times)

Offline pa_max

• Crosstourer Member
Re: DCT Transmission 'clatter'
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 01:16:40 PM »
I like the DCT on my 2016 CT less and less.
Especially when I compare it with a manual transmission on my friends bikes during rides.
My biggest gripes are unpredictability in long turns, like ramps and exits (loops) from one highway to another and sudden jerkiness while applying front brake. especially, when you stop on a down-slope at a stop sign. I've been riding for more than 30 years and I consider myself a pretty experienced rider but operating this DCT sometimes reminds me of the war with the machines.

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 02:44:44 PM »
Assume you have experimented with the various auto modes and manual mode?  Particularly in manual mode, you decide when it shifts, pure and simple. The three sport modes are better at keeping the revs up than D mode but do tend to make the bike shift sometimes at inopportune times as you (and I before that) posted.

Regarding jerkiness at slow speeds or stop signs I've found it just requires you develop a little more finesse with your throttle hand and keep the front brake covered.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 02:46:32 PM by DEMBONES »

Offline pa_max

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 02:57:34 PM »
Yes, I've tried all the modes and settings. I am not saying the DCT works extremely bad, just that on CT it's not refined to the point when you can fully enjoy an automatic transmission - your constant intervention is required. Which makes me think - is the DCT really better than a manual transmission?
I rode my friends maxi-scooters - BMW c650GT and Suzuki Burgman 650, their CVT work soooo smooth.
Anyway, I keep on riding my CT and will be doing it for a season or two and then will start looking for something else.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 03:00:13 PM by pa_max »

Offline Mspeirs

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2017 CT DCT
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2018, 07:47:19 AM »
Three things annoy me re DCT.

1. the clunky first few gear changes.

2. the driveshaft clatter at low revs

3. the inclination of the DCT to downchange too early on steep descents or under hard braking at low speed.

What I love about the DCT is the smooth and near perfect timing of the shifts in the higher gears, and the ease of manouvering a large heavy bike at low speeds, on often difficult terrain just by gently massaging the throttle.

Lane splitting, hill starts, tight turns in narrow alleys etc, are a breeze.
I swear, DCT has made my life as an aging rider, so much easier.

I’m 20,00km into this bike now, and I’m learning to manage the quirks.
Sport 2, has become my mode of choice. I find this really helps in reducing that shaft clatter as I gear down. I guess it changes down a little sooner, keeping the revs up just a little.

I manage the inclination of the DCT to down shift too early on steep downhills etc, by just flicking it into manual in these situations. It really is so easy to do, just the flick of a finger and everything is under control again. My feeble old mind is even starting to remember to switch it back to auto too!

I’ve often asked myself the question, ‘would I rather have a manual’? And I always come to the conclusion that while the system isn’t perfect, nor is the auto transmission in my car, but the the advantages really do outway the niggles that piss me off.

My 2 cents worth.

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2018, 02:16:52 AM »
 :460:

Offline VFRCTHRider

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2018, 07:35:18 AM »
I have a manual CT and it also has the transmission 'clatter'. This developed about 6000 miles from new. It is simply down to too much slack in the transmission and, in my opinion, not acceptable. Honda have had a go at fixing it by replacing the shaft drive assembly but has made no difference at all. I have learned to live with it like everybody else. As has been said before, if you keep the bike in a lower gear when driving through town or in slow traffic it's not really a problem. It just sounds worrying at is bangs between on and off drive but probably sounds worse than it is (I hope). Time will tell. I've had several shaft drive bikes before this and never had this problem.

However, I wouldn't change this bike for anything else. Yes, its heavy to move around but adaption is the key, don't try and move it too quickly an plan where you park it on slopes and it will be fine.

Every bike probably has it little niggles, my FJR liked to throw most of it's engine heat over my legs and this got quite uncomfortable in the summer months, particularly in traffic.

Slight change of subject, is anybody doing the Ride to Save lives, 23/09 from Newark Showground? I've done a few charity runs over the last 2 years and have yet to see another CT. I'm also doing RTTW on 06/10 starting from Woodhall Services on the M1 (Sheffield).

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2018, 09:22:16 AM »
my FJR liked to throw most of it's engine heat over my legs and this got quite uncomfortable in the summer months, particularly in traffic.

Been there, wow did the FJR kick out some heat. I remember getting to my hotel in France on a particularly hot day and my right leg was cooked medium. :021:

Offline wack

• Crosstourer Pro
  • It's not a hobby, it's in yer blood !
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ollerton
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2018, 11:58:12 AM »
Hello VFRCTHRider,

The 23rd Ride to Save Lives is on my calendar, but whether or not I actually get there is another matter, thing are a bit hectic at the moment  :087: :112:

Regards.

Wack

arab-exile