Silver CT

Views: 377
Posted by: oldhand
in: oldhand
IMG 0816

Views: 115
Posted by: Min
in: Min

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Touratech Seat - First Impressions  (Read 638 times)

Online VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDH
  • City / Town: Northampton
Touratech Seat - First Impressions
« on: August 09, 2018, 03:28:52 PM »
Just taken delivery (after a long, and extended once, delivery time), and fitted, a Touratech seat.

These impressions are so early that I haven't even been for a ride yet:

1. Transferring the rubber bits from the original seat is a bit of a pain.

2. The seat feels much firmer, or even 'hard'.

3. The profile / shape under my backside isn't that different to the original, which means that I still slide / my hips still roll forwards a bit.

The last point, 3, causes trousers to ride up either side of one's "gentlemen's area", and there is a gap between that area and the seat.
However, I did find that the slide/roll wasn't so pronounced, with the original seat, when wearing proper biking trousers, which I've yet to try with the new seat.

I'm a bit disappointed about 3, and I hope that this and 2 will be alleviated by the seat breaking-in as I use it; I hope that it will shape itself to me a bit and reduce the hardness and the hip-roll - I hope that my backside will 'sink in' a bit.  I also hope that the increased firmness will actually lead to better comfort.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 03:31:38 PM by VfuRry »

Offline Mspeirs

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2017 CT DCT
Re: Touratech Seat - First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 04:09:27 PM »
Wifey and I went to the Touratech shop in Germany and test rode a seat for about an hour. They were happy to change all the rubber bits over from our seat to theirs, and back again, when we found little difference in comfort, or in our case discomfort.

My buddy has one of their seats on his GS800 and also feels no difference in comfort :110:

Touratech do however have, I think, 3 seats of different heights. That may be worthwhile if the standard seat height doesn’t suit, and they have them on the shelf, so no need to be without your seat for a long period.

We found them very helpful and obliging, with a huge range of gear on the shelf. Well worth the journey for anyone in the area  :028:

Hope your seat breaks in for you. Would be interested to hear.

Online VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 05:58:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mspeirs [+]
Wifey and I went to the Touratech shop in Germany and test rode a seat for about an hour. They were happy to change all the rubber bits over from our seat to theirs, and back again, when we found little difference in comfort, or in our case discomfort.

My buddy has one of their seats on his GS800 and also feels no difference in comfort :110:

Touratech do however have, I think, 3 seats of different heights. That may be worthwhile if the standard seat height doesn’t suit, and they have them on the shelf, so no need to be without your seat for a long period.

We found them very helpful and obliging, with a huge range of gear on the shelf. Well worth the journey for anyone in the area  :028:

Well, I do remember reading somewhere that they do break in - I hope it's true.

The seat I have is standard height, and I wouldn't want a seat any lower. I don't know whether the higher or lower seats have different profile(s).

We're off to France soon for a few weeks, and won't be going anywhere near Touratech in Germany (but may possibly go somewhere near a French TT place in the south of France).

I'm hoping / expecting that the TT seat won't actually be worse than the original, because the tour in France will be the real test-ride.  I'll report back after (or possibly even during) that trip.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 06:00:08 PM by VfuRry »

Online VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 06:55:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mspeirs [+]

Well, I think it did break in.

We did a week of riding every day, with two 340-ish mile days followed by 70-100 mile days, something like 1,100 miles total. Then had a week off (in Nice), followed by another week riding every day to get back.

Whereas I would normally be sore with this amount of riding, this time I mostly avoided that.  However, it may have been due to some unknown extent to the new MotoSkivees padded shorts I also tried for the first time.

Whatever, it was great to be able to do lots of riding day after day without being too sore.

I did have one day without the padded shorts (using seamless shorts instead - it's mainly the seams in normal shorts that make me sore) and wasn't too sore as a result.  I didn't want to risk riding too long without the padded shorts, for fear of getting sore and being stuck with that - some time in future I'll try riding a long distance without using them, to see how comfortable the seat is on its own.

I didn't find I was achey, however I've always been bothered more by soreness than aching (walking and sleeping actually cause my hips and back to ache more than biking).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 07:05:44 PM by VfuRry »

Online VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 07:02:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by VfuRry [+]
3. The profile / shape under my backside isn't that different to the original, which means that I still slide / my hips still roll forwards a bit.

Regarding this, somebody recently posted on advrider.com about something they'd seen on a euro forum about removing the rearmost set of rubbers under the rider's half of the seat, to tilt the rider back a bit. This was in relation to the original seat, rather than the Touratech.  I might try that, with the Touratech.

Offline nick marshall

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 01:42:37 PM »
Thought I would give the above a go.

Prefer the position. However. Touratech Seat now squeaks a lot if you bounce up and down as it touches various parts of the bodywork.
Also, would imagine it would prematurely wear the seat fabric at the edges.

Don’t think it’s worth the risk on a £400+ Seat. 

Maybe I might experiment cutting the rubbers does as there around 20mm deep. That way, hopefully no squeak and slightly better positioning.