Author Topic: Loving my CT  (Read 2295 times)

• Offline scribbler

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    38
    • Topic Author

Offline scribbler

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: East Yorkshire
    Loving my CT
    on: Aug 05, 2018, 11.38 am
    Aug 05, 2018, 11.38 am
    Sadly it seems there are some owners who aren’t enjoying their CT, that’s a shame because I’m loving mine.
    My CT is a white and silver 2012 manual. Since buying it three months ago I’ve clocked up 3,000 miles and its proving to be a sheer delight.
    The previous owner invested in quite a bit of aftermarket kit including a Bodis exhaust (its German and I suspect they also made exhausts for Panzers), silver crash bars and LED fog lights and SW Motech belly pan.
    It’s a great result for me for two reasons..firstly, I had thought my biking days were over last December after being diagnosed with widespread osteo arthritis which in turn had triggered off inflammation of the nerves in particular the one which runs from the spine across the back into the left shoulder and down the left arm. I couldn’t sit on a chair never mind ride a motorbike.
    And secondly, when after five months of pain the nerves started to heal I decided to go bike hunting and had  a test ride on a nearly new VFR 800 it looked gorgeous in red and having owned two VFRs previously I was really hoping that this would work out for me.
    Fat chance.. within a couple of minutes of setting off the pain started big style. I struggled on for  about 20 minutes before limping (literally) back to the dealers. Lovely bike but not for me.
    The salesman suggested I try a CT he showed me a 2012 example and I instantly hated it. I knew nothing about the CT other than remembering that one of Bike’s BMW lap dogs had named it the Crossdresser in his launch review. Twat.
    To my uninformed eyes the bike looked  a mess..tall screen, mad max style exhaust dirty knobbly tyres and spoked wheels ffs!!
    However, nothing ventured nothing gained so I took it for  a spin. Ooooohhh  what a surprise it was really quite nice. Lovely exhaust note, lots of power and bugger me excellent handling despite the tractor tyres.
    But I didn’t want a six year old bike so off I went 100 miles down the road to Grantham and tested a couple of nearly new CTs. Frustratingly, I found them rather bland, ordinary and expensive.
    Then I tried  a nearly new Ducati 950 multistrada..hated it seemed very tinny although super light after the CT. Took the 2012 CT out for a third time (thank goodness the salesman was  a patient man) and knew it was the bike for me.
    Negotiated a reduction for paying cash and the deal was done.
    But it was still plug ugly so here are the mods I have carried out.
    Same day I bought it, I had the battlewing and scorpion tyres changed for Road 5 Trail – fantastic tyres, improved ride quality and confidence inspiring grip.
    Gave it a good wash and polish – suddenly the ugly duckling started turning into a beautiful swan
    Next ditched the nasty tall touring screen for an MRA touring screen in black – this is quite a short screen but it is broad. Works a treat….. the designers at MRA are geniuses . This I the third MRA screen I’ve fitted  (Blackbird and Tiger Sport) and all have proved extremely effective.
    Had the suspension set up by John Sanderson at Alpha Suspension in Leeds – John confirmed what most owners have realised that the suspension isn’t  good enough to handle such a big bike effectively. However, he firmed it up and it was much improved although I have backed it off a little.
    Fitted a Givi trekker top box – nice and light and big enough for two lids.
    And that’s it..bike now looks ace and rides and handles beautifully. Its also deceptively quick. It reminds me a lot of my beloved  and sorely missed Blackbird with a dash of 1050 speed triple thrown in. Happy to bimble about but also ready to turn into a hooligan when the mood suits.
    So anyone out there who is thinking of buying a CT but has been deterred by negative comments go and have  a test ride and if you think the bike lacks character stick on a Bodis exhaust and release your inner hooligan (although like me you might want to apologise to the neighbours in advance)
    Here’s a couple of pics.

• Offline hondated

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    49

Offline hondated

• Crosstourer Member
    Re: Loving my CT
    Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2018, 08.26 pm
    Aug 05, 2018, 08.26 pm
    Hi scribbler  :002: really pleased to read you love your CT so much  :152: and its got you back to biking having had health issues  :047:
    I only had my CT for a few months and because of various issues I didnt ride it a great deal  :003: but as you have written when I did and opened it up I could not believe the gorgeous exhaust note it had  :152: In fact there is a guy on YouTube who fitted an after market exhaust and then refitted the original one as it sounded better.
    My only reason for selling it was I just found it too heavy to get onto the centre stand but it probably doesn't help that I am getting old :084
     Enjoy your bike whilst we have this great weather and even though I am now a GS rider ( its 6 years older than the CT ) I will still be monitoring the Forum as everyone is so friendly and I am certainly not some who will be dissing the CT as its a great bike. :062:

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2018, 04.58 am
    Aug 06, 2018, 04.58 am
     Great post Scribbler and really pleased to hear you’re happy with your bike and it’s keeping you on two wheels.

I’m currently on my way to Switzerland on my second CT. over a few beers last night my mate asked if I were to buy again right now what would it be?

There’s a lot a great bikes on the market and I came very close to buying a GS last time. However, the CT it ain’t perfect ( what is) and Honda really could a few things better but all things considered, I’d buy the same again. Can’t be too bad, I’ve been riding this one 18 months and but the time we get to our hotel tonight it’ll have done over 16000 miles.

• Offline scribbler

• Topic Author

Offline scribbler

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Aug 06, 2018, 10.01 am
    Aug 06, 2018, 10.01 am
    Hi Hondated and Hartley..you are right no bike is perfect...if only Honda had been able to shave 20 kgs off the CT it would have made such a difference to so many owners...very envious of your trip Hartley.. sadly I'm office bound today.....many thanks for your positive comments....

• Offline WIGARUS

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    1

Offline WIGARUS

• Crosstourer Junior
    • City / Town: Marangaroo
    Reply #4 on: Aug 06, 2018, 01.22 pm
    Aug 06, 2018, 01.22 pm
    Took mine out today and got stuck in some soft sand. IT's heavy but I think its mostly rider skill riding off road anyway. I have bugger all off-road skill but After learning a few basics I've been able to get myself out of some pretty hairy situations. I have dropped it off road about a dozen times now while learning and I've picked it up fine on my own.

That's a great looking pipe Scribbler.
    Last Edit: Aug 06, 2018, 01.28 pm by WIGARUS

• Offline Dave56   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1794

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Grantham
    Reply #5 on: Aug 06, 2018, 09.40 pm
    Aug 06, 2018, 09.40 pm
    That’s a great post scribbler and chuffed to hear that buying a CT has managed to keep you on two wheels  :028: and the aches and pains are staying away.
    You are correct though, it is a heavy old beast and the suspension needs a little work but on the whole it’s a terrific piece of reliable Japanese engineering which offers great value for money.
    I’m on my second CT and love it.
    I for one am not interested in lean angle abs or semi active computer controlled suspension or side lights that activate when leaning over - what the crying out loud is that nonsense all about - I just want a bike I can fire up, ride and enjoy to the full, whatever the weather.
    So continue to enjoy your CT scribbler and stick two fingers up to those journos and nah sayers who continually dis the CT, as we know the real truth.  :047:
    "The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

• Offline scribbler

• Topic Author

Offline scribbler

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2018, 09.47 am
    Aug 07, 2018, 09.47 am
    *Originally Posted by Dave56 [+]
    That’s a great post scribbler and chuffed to hear that buying a CT has managed to keep you on two wheels  :028: and the aches and pains are staying away.
    You are correct though, it is a heavy old beast and the suspension needs a little work but on the whole it’s a terrific piece of reliable Japanese engineering which offers great value for money.
    I’m on my second CT and love it.
    I for one am not interested in lean angle abs or semi active computer controlled suspension or side lights that activate when leaning over - what the crying out loud is that nonsense all about - I just want a bike I can fire up, ride and enjoy to the full, whatever the weather.
    So continue to enjoy your CT scribbler and stick two fingers up to those journos and nah sayers who continually dis the CT, as we know the real truth.  :047:

Thanks Dave my sentiments exactly...happy riding

• Offline scribbler

• Topic Author

Offline scribbler

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Aug 07, 2018, 09.52 am
    Aug 07, 2018, 09.52 am
    *Originally Posted by WIGARUS [+]
    Took mine out today and got stuck in some soft sand. IT's heavy but I think its mostly rider skill riding off road anyway. I have bugger all off-road skill but After learning a few basics I've been able to get myself out of some pretty hairy situations. I have dropped it off road about a dozen times now while learning and I've picked it up fine on my own.

That's a great looking pipe Scribbler.

Nice one Wigarus but with my back I'm definitely sticking to the black stuff!!!!