Dave3

Views: 86
Posted by: DaveDee
in: DaveDee
yamaha off road scooter 12

Views: 337
Posted by: Farway
in: Farway

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Crash Bars or whatever you want to call them  (Read 682 times)

Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Castle Rock, CO
Crash Bars or whatever you want to call them
« on: July 16, 2018, 01:37:27 PM »
I am looking to buy some crash bars for the CT. I have seen many posts about many different crash bars. These are the ones that I have found through searches and reviews. Honda OEM Light Bar, R&G Racing, SW-Motech, GIVI, & Hepco & Becker.

All of these seem to have their own pros and cons, but what I am interested in is the actual real world performance of the bars during low speed crashes and tip overs. What type of protection do they really offer? Engine case protection, tupperware protection, signals, panniers, etc. Also do the need to be removed to perform maintenance items?

I typically ride with my OEM panniers on my 2016 CT manual. Not that I like it but they do offer a fair about of protection at least for tip overs. I have had a couple and mostly just scratched the panniers. Although I did have a tip over on the left side and the only real damage was a broken front blinker, and a few scratches on the bar end, hand guard and a couple on the left pannier.

I did see a post from a member that put on the R&G bars and then took pictures of his bike laid over on it's side to show the engine case protection. Unfortunately I don't think that is real world stuff, although it may be feel good stuff, plus he did not have any panniers on the bike.

Are they worth the 200 to 300 plus bucks? I don't see that any of them would offer any additional protection for the panniers.
In The Barn
2016 VFR1200X - Mine, 2008 VFR800 ABS - The wife's bike, 1976 CB750F - For Sale, Brad

Offline Big Bob

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Perth
Re: Crash Bars or whatever you want to call them
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 03:24:19 PM »
No bars will protect the panniers.

My SW Motechs have prteced from multiple Gravel offs up to 60kph.

Things to consider:
Pipe tickness
Wall tickness
Number of bends & joins (more bends = weaker)

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 08:54:35 PM »
Not tried either of these but the two that ive seen that appear to offer the most overall protection (though as Bob said , not everything ) are:

Mmoto:
http://www.mmotoracks.com/product/engine-guard-crash-bars-for-dct-for-honda-vfr1200x-crosstourer

And the SW Motech.

Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 02:13:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by Big Bob [+]
No bars will protect the panniers.

I wasn't expecting any to protect the panniers. Although after looking at the link Hartley provided that is more what I would expect to see in a engine guard/crash bar design.

In The Barn
2016 VFR1200X - Mine, 2008 VFR800 ABS - The wife's bike, 1976 CB750F - For Sale, Brad

Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 01:19:24 AM »
Well after much time I finally got a set of crash bars and I must say that they were easy peasy to install. I originally purchased the mmotorack crash bars but after 6 weeks and zero response and no product on my door step I went through PayPal and they refunded my money. I ended up with the SW Mototech bars.  They are well made , have a good finish and were very easy to install. About 30 minutes once they were unwrapped.

I like it when after market products fit like a glove.
In The Barn

arab-exile