IMG 1017

Views: 189
Posted by: andyrob
in: andyrob
IMGP3400

Views: 233
Posted by: jacob
in: Jacob

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear Tyre 'Flat Spot'  (Read 528 times)

Online Slidy

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer, S10
Rear Tyre 'Flat Spot'
« on: July 13, 2018, 03:38:57 PM »
My 2013 manual just failed the MOT on the rear tyre. I did all the usual checks before taking it in, even put my depth gauge in the tread whilst  replacing the rear brake pads and thought it was fine.

The mechanic showed me a length of about 30% of the circumference where it was totally bald in the middle. The other 70% has between 1 & 2 mm left, which must've been where I tried it. I was going to get a new one on Monday anyway so my usual tyre place has it in ready, but now we will have to take the car for our Saturday night away  :151:

It is a PR4 Trail with almost 6,000 miles on it, and the front which was fitted at the same time has 3 - 4 mm left all over. It's done about 50/50 between two up fully loaded touring, and more spirited solo riding. I've never seen a tyre with tread in the middle, rapid deterioration to bald for 30% of circumference then back to tread.

The mechanic suggested it might be due to spoke misalignment, but wasn't really sure. I'm baffled.

Anybody had anything similar, or any ideas what could've caused it?

Offline Mcgrath

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: DCT 2012 Black
  • City / Town: Swords
Re: Rear Tyre 'Flat Spot'
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 07:13:08 PM »
Hi I had the exact opposite experience. My set of PR4 trails went on at the same time. I had to replace the front after 4k miles as it wore badly on right hand side of tyre. Rear still on after 7kmiles,  still has plenty of thread but a bit squared off and has some cracks etc. Still good for another 1k miles I reckon though.
I only ride solo with just a backbox.

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 10:04:27 PM »

Only 4K miles on  this Pirelli.   :192:

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
  • After breathing everything else is a bonus
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Canterbury
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 02:06:29 PM »
My PR4 trail rear had just over 7000k mileage when changed (even wear throughout) but I to ride solo and no luggage.
Bill

Offline Plane Dr

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200xDCT
  • City / Town: DFW Metromess
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 11:40:24 AM »
I’ve had 2 tears wear that way both stock (really bad) and a PR4
Bikes are like women.  What you want and what you think you want change after the first ride.

arab-exile