Author Topic: Problem starting when cold directly after stating fine.  (Read 3289 times)

• Offline Paul82

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    56
    • Topic Author

Offline Paul82

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2012 VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Yanchep
    Problem starting when cold directly after stating fine.
    on: Jul 09, 2018, 11.55 am
    Jul 09, 2018, 11.55 am
    Hi, what are your thoughts on this? The CT always starts fine when its cold, but sometimes it starts fine, then if I stall it, it is very hard to start again & carries on misfiring & stuffing around until it warms up, then it runs fine.

Watch this video, see what you think: https://photos.app.goo.gl/j6izL59TgMFuKBjo8

What are your thoughts on this? Things I should check?

Thanks for you help,
    Paul.

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Re: Problem starting when cold directly after stating fine.
    Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2018, 12.26 pm
    Jul 09, 2018, 12.26 pm
    Mine will do this if I start it , only run for a few seconds then try to restart. Had same issue with an FJR I owned.

Would have to crank it for ages to get it to start, sometimes with throttle wide open, which wasn’t great.

I always let the bike warm up before shutting it down now. No problems since I’ve started doing this.

• Offline Fredz   au

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    118

Offline Fredz

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2018, 02.08 pm
    Jul 09, 2018, 02.08 pm
    Turn the key off for a coupla seconds before each attempt to restart so the fuel pump can re-pressurise/prime the system.  After the engine dies the fuel pump will stop I believe, leading to zero fuel pressure in the system.  Try doing the key thing.  I'd also replace the fuel filter just for kicks to ensure it's ok.

• Offline Paul82

• Topic Author

Offline Paul82

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2018, 02.47 am
    Jul 10, 2018, 02.47 am
    *Originally Posted by Hartley [+]
    Mine will do this if I start it , only run for a few seconds then try to restart. Had same issue with an FJR I owned.

Would have to crank it for ages to get it to start, sometimes with throttle wide open, which wasn’t great.

I always let the bike warm up before shutting it down now. No problems since I’ve started doing this.

Yea that's true, seems like that's just what I'm going to have to do in Winter. Let it warm up more.

• Offline Paul82

• Topic Author

Offline Paul82

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2018, 02.51 am
    Jul 10, 2018, 02.51 am
    *Originally Posted by Fredz [+]
    Turn the key off for a coupla seconds before each attempt to restart so the fuel pump can re-pressurise/prime the system.  After the engine dies the fuel pump will stop I believe, leading to zero fuel pressure in the system.  Try doing the key thing.  I'd also replace the fuel filter just for kicks to ensure it's ok.

This sounded like a good idea, But I tested this this morning & unfortunately it didn't work.

The kill switch & the key do the exact same thing, the fuel pump primes when you turn it back on with the kill switch or the key.

So Using the key to turn it off & back on again when it's cold after restarting it, still does the exact same thing.

• Offline Fredz   au

Offline Fredz

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2018, 10.48 am
    Jul 10, 2018, 10.48 am
    Does it always start easily first time when cold and run ok unless you stall it?

• Offline Paul82

• Topic Author

Offline Paul82

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2018, 11.20 am
    Jul 10, 2018, 11.20 am
    *Originally Posted by Fredz [+]
    Does it always start easily first time when cold and run ok unless you stall it?

Yes, it ALWAYS Starts perfectly straight away when I start it the first time cold. (I need to just leave it idling longer to warm up & not stall it or turn it off to avoid this problem)

Yes only if i stall it or turn it off soon after starting it does it run progressively worse & more difficult to start each attempt.

Starting it perfect the first time, if its left to warm up, it also then starts again fine.

It's only when its stopped & started soon after its started once, that it has this problem.

Possibly something to do with the Choke not working properly after the first start up cold?   

• Offline Fredz   au

Offline Fredz

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2018, 11.48 am
    Jul 10, 2018, 11.48 am
    Yes, it must be that automatic choke thingameejig.  Sounds like they all do it when cold.  There - no problem after all.    I had one on a car once and converted it to manual cable - all good after that.   :150:

arab-exile