Author Topic: About to buy a crosstourer  (Read 1979 times)

• Offline slewis162

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    5
    • Topic Author

Offline slewis162

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200XD
    • City / Town: Dunoon
    About to buy a crosstourer
    on: Jul 08, 2018, 12.41 pm
    Jul 08, 2018, 12.41 pm
    Hi,  David here.  Newbie.   Looking for advice before I purchase a crosstourer.   Up at showroom,  bike comes out, sales guy starts it up blah de blah.  I have a wee blip on the throttle and when I stop,  the engine "pops" a few times.  This happened every time I blipped the throttle.  It has a Beowulf aftermarket can on.  I sthis something that is normal of the CT or should I reconsider the purchase.  sorry for rambling on and thanks for any advice.
    DSL

• Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    625

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
    • City / Town: PacNW
    Re: About to buy a crosstourer
    Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2018, 12.58 pm
    Jul 08, 2018, 12.58 pm
    Hello David and welcome to the forum.

It is wise of you to inquire about the exhaust popping on what will likely be a large purchase.  It is in fact not typical of a CT (or any properly tuned stock, modern motorbike) but rather indicates that the aftermarket can is a free flowing design.  Any time the exhaust is “opened up” the condition of deceleration pop is much more noticeable and problematic. An open exhaust allows additional air to be sucked up the pipe during closed throttle and any unburned fuels then ignite and “snap/crackle/pop."  You should also have a listen as to where the popping is coming from as sometimes if a slip-on exhaust can has not been properly tightened to the mid-pipe an air leak there can be the culprit.

So...this bike is basically running lean now because of the free-flowing pipe.  That isn't going to harm the machine but it can be annoying to ride (or ride behind.)  You would need to richen the fuel mixture (by using an EFI fuel tuner like a Power Commander or similar) or return the OEM exhaust back on to stop the popping.

I wouldn't let it stop me from purchase if all else looks good with the bike but the additional costs of "fixing" the popping should figure in with your price negotiations with the seller.

Cheers!

• Offline slewis162

• Topic Author

Offline slewis162

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2018, 08.47 am
    Jul 09, 2018, 08.47 am
    Hi, Dembones.  Thanks for the reply Thought the popping sounded odd, just wasn't sure if it was a fault of a commo problem.   I looked at Beowulf and they don't even make a can for the CT so,  I'll be looking at sourcing an OE one or maybe something a little cheaper.  I don't have room for negotiation as he's already offered me a cracking deal on it.  Rest of bike looks fine so,  if all goes well, I'll soon be the owner of a CT DCT. :):)  :046: :152:
    DSL

• Offline DEMBONES

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
    Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2018, 02.15 pm
    Jul 09, 2018, 02.15 pm
    *Originally Posted by slewis162 [+]
    Hi, Dembones.  Thanks for the reply Thought the popping sounded odd, just wasn't sure if it was a fault of a commo problem.   I looked at Beowulf and they don't even make a can for the CT so,  I'll be looking at sourcing an OE one or maybe something a little cheaper.  I don't have room for negotiation as he's already offered me a cracking deal on it.  Rest of bike looks fine so,  if all goes well, I'll soon be the owner of a CT DCT. :):)  :046: :152:

Hope you get it!  I am the proud owner of a '16 DCT and it is an awesome machine.

Bones

• Offline slewis162

• Topic Author

Offline slewis162

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2018, 06.02 pm
    Jul 09, 2018, 06.02 pm
    So do I. Have been reading lots of wonderful things about the DCT.     I won't lie,  it was hard parting with my Harley, wanted to keep it but I can't ride two bikes at the same time :)  If/once I get the CT,  i'll start saving up again for a HD. :)

DSL

• Offline DEMBONES

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
    Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2018, 06.33 pm
    Jul 09, 2018, 06.33 pm
    True, you can't ride them both at the same time, but that sure doesn't stop me from having multiple bikes in my garage most of the time.

I know well the HD bug!

• Offline slewis162

• Topic Author

Offline slewis162

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Jul 09, 2018, 09.50 pm
    Jul 09, 2018, 09.50 pm