Author Topic: Replacing suspension - tips?  (Read 3640 times)

• Online VfuRry   gb

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    219
    • Topic Author

Online VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200XDH
    • City / Town: Ashbourne
    Replacing suspension - tips?
    on: Jul 06, 2018, 07.40 pm
    Jul 06, 2018, 07.40 pm
    Soon, I'll be replacing my CT's rear shock with a Wilbers (with remote preload), and removing and replacing the forks (after new springs fitted for me).

Before I do, although I have the workshop manuals to refer to, I was wondering if anyone has any tips for doing this work?  It's been a while (about 30 years) since I last did this sort of thing.

TIA.

• Online VfuRry   gb

• Topic Author

Online VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Re: Replacing suspension - tips?
    Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2018, 05.40 pm
    Jul 09, 2018, 05.40 pm
    As I say, it's been a while, so a couple of specific questions:

1. When on the centre stand, the bike's rear wheel is off the ground, and the front wheel is on the ground, i.e. with some weight on it.  I intend to use a jack, under the sump (with a block of wood), to support the weight while the front end is missing (I'm assuming it's not good to have the exhaust pipes taking weight).  Is this OK?  And, will the bike actually tilt backwards (with the front end missing), and put the rear wheel on the ground?  if so, do I need to put something under the rear wheel to prevent this?

2. When I remove the rear shock, will the rear wheel swing down on the swingarm, to touch down, without the shock to hold it off the ground?  (bike on centre stand, front end will be back in place).   Do I need to pack (or jack) the rear wheel / swingarm, to take the weight, to be able to remove and fit the shock?  Or is there a 'stop'?

TIA

• Offline superduper

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    140

Offline superduper

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2018, 08.36 pm
    Jul 09, 2018, 08.36 pm
    Piece of wood under the sump is fine, when on the centre stand,
    I use a piece about 60 mm x 180mm on the ribbed part of the sump held up a scissor jack,
    if you use a hydraulic one and leave it over night make sure its a good jack that doesn't loose pressure and drop

regarding the rear, advise you remove the rear wheel and at least spin the silencer out of the way, so you have more room and can see better,
    when you remove the rear wheel you can prop the swing arm between a couple the wheel nut studs and the floor with a piece of wood to support it,
    which also makes it easier to line up to refit as the position is there abouts,

• Online VfuRry   gb

• Topic Author

Online VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2018, 09.49 am
    Jul 10, 2018, 09.49 am
    *Originally Posted by superduper [+]
    if you use a hydraulic one and leave it over night make sure its a good jack that doesn't loose pressure and drop

I'm using a screw-type scissor jack, but still have a stack of bricks and wood positioned nearby just in case.

*Originally Posted by superduper [+]
    regarding the rear, advise you remove the rear wheel and at least spin the silencer out of the way, so you have more room and can see better, when you remove the rear wheel you can prop the swing arm between a couple the wheel nut studs and the floor with a piece of wood to support it, which also makes it easier to line up to refit as the position is there abouts,

Thanks!
    Last Edit: Jul 10, 2018, 09.54 am by VfuRry

• Online VfuRry   gb

• Topic Author

Online VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2018, 09.53 am
    Jul 10, 2018, 09.53 am
    On a related subject...

I'm hoping to remove the side fairing panels without removing the 'ornament bar'.

ISTR seeing somewhere (maybe Youtube) that this can be done, but can anyone confirm whether this is or is not possible?

TIA

• Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    592

Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFR1200X DCT
    • City / Town: Holywell
    Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2018, 12.51 pm
    Jul 10, 2018, 12.51 pm
    It is only a couple of minutes to remove the honda bar - I wouldn't risk the potential for a scratch if you get it wrong.
      :006:
    Puch125, CD175, CB175, C90, CB100, CB900, VF750, K100, CBR1000, CBR1000, DR650SE, RF900R, Bayliner, RF900R, Super Blackbird, Piaggio X9 125, Burgman 650, Hayabusa, VFR1200F, VFR1200X, F800 GT,

• Online VfuRry   gb

• Topic Author

Online VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2018, 03.56 pm
    Jul 10, 2018, 03.56 pm
    *Originally Posted by Martymouse [+]
    It is only a couple of minutes to remove the honda bar - I wouldn't risk the potential for a scratch if you get it wrong.
      :006:

True, but the bolts which hold the bar on appear to replace the upper engine mounting bolts and I'm thinking I'd prefer to avoid messing with those in case they snap when I try to undo them (and there's a recent thread on here about that happening, though it concerns a lower mounting bolt).

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2018, 04.59 pm
    Jul 10, 2018, 04.59 pm
    If I recall correctly Dave, the bolts on the Honda bars actually screw into the engine mount bolt, you don’t remove the engine mount bolt itself.

Makes life easier removing them.

arab-exile