Author Topic: Over inflate your tyres?  (Read 7844 times)

• Offline Fat Bert   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    834
    • Topic Author

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
    • City / Town: Tenby
    Over inflate your tyres?
    on: Jun 29, 2018, 06.43 pm
    Jun 29, 2018, 06.43 pm
    The Gospel according to Honda says

38 front  42 rear

Regardless of whether solo/with pillion/with luggage

Surely when fully laden you need a higher pressure - then lower when you're riding solo?

I'm not exactly "lightweight" and - god forbid she ever reads this - neither is the bride - then add in 2 x fully laden panniers

So... has anyone ever considered putting more than 38/42 in the hoops?
    "Team Fat Bert" Racing

• Offline fotodadi

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    140

Offline fotodadi

• Crosstourer Pro
    Re: Over inflate your tyres?
    Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2018, 07.11 pm
    Jun 29, 2018, 07.11 pm
    Manual says front 36, rear 42.

Beyond that, higher pressures seem to run a lot hotter, here in Nigeria, especially the rear. I keep it at the recommended as much as possible. But then again, I never have ridden the CT, 2 up.

Waiting to hear :015:
    In My Garage
    2017 Honda VFR1200X Highlander
    2015 BMW K1600GTL Exclusive (written off)
    www.fdfoundation.org
    https://www.instagram.com/fotodadi/

• Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    625

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
    • City / Town: PacNW
    Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2018, 07.16 pm
    Jun 29, 2018, 07.16 pm
    36/42 is also what I see in the manual but I was tempted to inflate a touch higher since I am also jumbo-sized  :158: and often ride with full panniers and topbox.  Last rear tire wore out in less than 4K miles and right down the center which I understand an overinflated tire can cause.  Maybe just coincidence but I have since aired back down to the manufacturer recommended pressures.

• Offline Friday

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    166

Offline Friday

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: '17 VFR1200X DCT
    • City / Town: Manitowoc, WI
    Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2018, 06.09 am
    Jun 30, 2018, 06.09 am
    Generally the first place to go to deal with weight is suspension preload, and then damping. If you look at the bikes with "wonder suspensions" that adjust automatically (or with minimal switch inputs) for number of persons and luggage (as well as riding style) -- such as BMW, Aprilia, Triumph, Ducati, KTM -- they're adjusting suspension preload and damping settings, not tire pressure.

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2018, 07.15 am
    Jun 30, 2018, 07.15 am
     :0461: In years gone by when the 'second in command' rode pillion before she brought a horse into the family  :001: with the Goldwings and VFR 800's I to adjusted suspension's despite the agro.
    Bill

• Offline Mspeirs

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    108

Offline Mspeirs

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 2017 CT DCT
    Reply #5 on: Jun 30, 2018, 03.09 pm
    Jun 30, 2018, 03.09 pm
    I’m going to swim against the tide here, and suggest a slightly lower pressure than recommended. I’m currently on the original Bridgestone tyres, with 6000 km so far. Riding fully loaded with wifey, in Europe. Neither of us are shrinking violets, and with the tyres at recommended pressure, they are wearing ok, but don’t have a lot of ‘feel’ or help soak up the bumps.
    At home we ride an 1150gs, running Mitas E07 tyres, running 4 psi under the Manufacturers recommendation. They feel great and last long, as well as giving us some confidence off road.
    As soon as the Bridgestone are done, the CT will be wearing E07’s, and I can’t wait.
    I’d swap them now, but my Scottish heritage won’t allow it :110:

• Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    181

Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Castle Rock, CO
    Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2018, 03.51 pm
    Jun 30, 2018, 03.51 pm
    As we are seeing there are many things that impact tire life. This conversation is similar to conversations I have seen on the ST-owners forum and here are the things that I am seeing that are commonalities. Most conversations address suspension settings and tire pressure. No one really seems to address the tires themselves.

First we need to make the decision as to what type of riding we do and then research tire that best fit our personal needs. I have seen to many times that we follow the crowd as to choices based on someone's personal view. Which is fine to a point, but we are all different in size and weight, riding styles, single or two up, etc. What we have in common is the bike itself.

Looking at the US owner's manual these bikes depending on model are anywhere fro 608 lbs (276kg) to 635 lbs (288 kg) with a load capacity of 397 lbs (180 KG). So I am guessing based on my wife and I that most of us riding two up would easily me or exceed that load capacity once we fill our panniers. At this point suspension settings and tire pressure will only do so much. Why because we are exceeding the limit capacities of the bike.

What I don't see or hear about is the load rating of tires that we buy for our bikes, and if you look in the owner's manual there is absolutely no mention of load rating for tires. I suspect that tires with a higher load rating will increase tire wear. This is a very unscientific assumption. But trying to research this for specific sizes may be a challenge. But when you go to a higher load rating you will typically give up something, ride, cornering, etc.

I do know that on my ST1300, tires that provided great all around performance and ride typically did not last as long as those with harder compounds and harder carcases. Also these tire were considered Sport tour tires and not a typical tire we would run on a CT.
    In The Barn
    2016 VFR1200X - Mine, 2016 BMW F700GS - The wife's bike, Brad

• Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    625

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
    • City / Town: PacNW
    Reply #7 on: Jun 30, 2018, 06.56 pm
    Jun 30, 2018, 06.56 pm
    Not a good idea to ride with reduced psi. The load bearing capacity of a motorcycle is not in the actual tires but the air inside them. In effect, riding with too little pressure compromises your tires, the way your bike handles, and possibly your safety.

For certain the best way to achieve the ride you want is to adjust the suspension.  It’s a much better and safer option than playing around with your tire pressures.

I've read that it is wise to run tire pressures between one and two psi above the manufacturer’s recommendation. That way you take into account any changes in weather (heat and cold can affect pressures). But also if you are only going to do the bare minimum and check them just once a month, it will compensate for that too, as on average tires will lose one psi every four weeks under normal riding conditions.