Author Topic: My opinion, after 4000km  (Read 3541 times)

• Offline Mspeirs

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    108
    • Topic Author

Offline Mspeirs

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 CT DCT
    My opinion, after 4000km
    on: Jun 19, 2018, 09.39 pm
    Jun 19, 2018, 09.39 pm
    Hi all, thought I’d post my opinion on the 2018 CT DCT after 4000km.

Wife and I are Kiwis. We bought the bike for extensive, European touring. Bike is loaded, with 2 x 38 liter alloy panniers, 28 liter topbox, and tank-bag

First impressions are as follows.

Ergonomics

Feels right, seating position is good, with bars and controls within easy reach. Ignition switch is a long reach forward, often disturbing my glove/jacket sleeve arrangement.
    Pegs could be lower and wider, this would improve knee bend over long distance. Will look for accessory pegs.
    Don’t have any issues getting my RH boot between the brake pedal and the protruding DCT, but do find I tend to mainly use the front brake only, most of the time, and I do wonder why. It’s not the way I ride on my other bikes.
    Seat height is right, can flat foot the bike easily, I’m 5’10”
    Seat is rubbish, though to be fair, so are most standard seats. Have replaced the seats on my other bikes. Have test ridden the bike with a Touratech high seat and no improvement IMO. May look at a Bagster seat. I have their tank cover and tank bag. Good solid products.
    Having complained about the seat, wifey has fallen asleep twice on the back, even though she also agrees the seat isn’t up to scratch.
    Initially, when coming to a halt and putting my feet on the ground, the footpegs were right where I wanted to place my feet. It annoyed me. Now I don’t notice. The footpegs haven’t moved, so I’ve adjusted. No longer a problem.
    Screen is great, probably the best I’ve sat behind. Easy to adjust, on the move. I leave it on the high setting and see clearly over it. I like to ride with my flip top helmet open unless it’s raining. Just enough air to be cool, and no noticeable buffeting, even at speed. It’s shaped a bit like barn door, but very effective. Top marks.
    Left hand control cluster is too cluttered. I often have to look to find the indicator switch, hidden amongst the other controls. May not be an issue on non DCT.
    Horn button often activates against tank bag. That’s annoying. Touratech do a protector for the manual model, but not DCT.
    Handbrake is effective and useful. Often utilize it when choosing to park on slopes I would otherwise avoid.

Engine

Best part of the bike. It winds up like a turbine, delivering gobs of controllable and useful torque. Quiet at low revs, with a lovely growl as throttle is applied. Don’t see any need to change the muffler. Fuel range has been between 340 - 380 km which is adequate for our needs. It’s not going to be awarded any prizes for economy, but that’s not why we purchased it.
    Traction Control has remained engaged, and will likely stay that way, for what we use the bike for.

DCT

Generally great. Took a couple days to begin to get the best from it. Use it only in Sport mode. Drive mode is way too lazy when 2 up and loaded.
    Don’t enjoy the shaft ‘clatter’ at low revs in the first few gears, but have learnt to adapt by manually taking control in those situations.
    Can be a little ‘clunky’ when changing at low speed in the first couple of gears, but seamless and smooth under acceleration. Like the different option provided, gives me something to play with. Sport mode seems to give just the right change ratios under acceleration, but all options appear to offer too much engine braking into downhill corners. I tend to take over manually in this situation. The manual/auto button is perfectly placed, and makes that transition a breeze.
    An added bonus with the DCT, is the ability to maneuver, feet up, at very low speeds. No hand clutch to slip, and the DCT clutch has made this very much easier than any bike we’ve owned. An unexpected bonus.

Suspension and Braking

Suspension as delivered was way over sprung and under damped for my liking, delivering a harsh, bone jarring ride.
    I backed off all the preload up front, and have the damping not quite at maximum.
    The rear had way too much preload for us, even fully loaded, so have re set at about halfway. Increased the rear damping near maximum. Much better, and have yet to bottom out either end.
    Brakes are smooth and effective, but I do find the front brake somewhat annoyingly noisy. Probably just the ABS, but will try different brand pads when it comes to replacement.

Bits and Pieces

Tool kit is pathetic. Just a few open ended spanners and a screw driver, not even enough to get a rear wheel off.

Head light is brilliant, I don’t see the need for accessory lighting unless its to be more visible to other road users.

Hand shields are light and flimsy, look like they’d smash in a tumble.

Same goes for the silver Honda crash bars, which I guess is why they call them ‘light bars’. Mounting lights is all they look suited to. I hope to replace both these items with something more substantial, before the inevitable first tumble.

I find it a challenge to get the bike up on the factory centre stand when it’s loaded. Wifey is often called to lend a hand.

Overall opinion.

Good bike for the market it’s targeted to. Last year we rented a 2017 1200gs WC for 2 months, and while Honda don’t claim to aim the CT at the same market, it’s an inevitable comparison to make.
    My opinion is the GS has the better suspension and the ability to dial it in.
    Possibly also the better styling. The CT is still very ‘Honda’ in the style department, as was the Varadero, and I bet it will cost them in sales.
    The CT has the better engine, by a country mile, and the DCT adds another dimension entirely.
    We decided to save the extra cash you’d spend on the GS and invest in a few farkles for the CT. We will enjoy a great bike, more suited to our needs, with the added bonus of Honda reliability.

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Re: My opinion, after 4000km
    Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2018, 06.47 am
    Jun 20, 2018, 06.47 am
     :0461: Good report expresses my sentiments exactly apart from the GS comparison where I have no experience, I'm Honda man. Thanks for the views.
    Bill

• Offline ADDS55

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    8

Offline ADDS55

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Bike: 16 VFR1200X DCT
    Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2018, 02.34 am
    Jun 25, 2018, 02.34 am
    As to the seat,  I have a Russell day long seat.  Best aftermarket seat I have ever had.  Had many, including Corbin, on other bikes.    It is a tractor seat design.  It is very wide.  Other aftermarket ones are narrow.  Would probably be real pain and expensive for you  to get done because of your location.   But imo, great for full day rides.   Only negative is it raises you up a couple of inches. 

As to foot pegs, look at knight foot pegs from Oregon. 

• Offline Mspeirs

• Topic Author

Offline Mspeirs

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2018, 02.57 am
    Jun 25, 2018, 02.57 am
    Hi Yasko,
    I agree the tractor style seats are the way to go, for comfort. I have 2 Corbin seats of this style on other bikes.
    Is the Russell seat an off the shelf purchase, or is it a custom build using the original seat base?
    Yes, getting such a seat to New Zealand is a real pain in the butt, excuse the pun. Made worse by having the Corbin agent in Australia. Lots of hassles, and huge freight costs.

Will look at the Knight pegs.
    Cheers

• Offline Plane Dr

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    223

Offline Plane Dr

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200xDCT
    • City / Town: DFW Metromess
    Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2018, 07.58 pm
    Jun 27, 2018, 07.58 pm
    That pretty much sums up my experience as well.  I've had several flavours of bikes through the years.  So the Honda may be Vanilla but it goes well with whatever I ask it to do.  I've done cross country, and flogged it like a Christmas pony commuting.

When all is said and done, everything I have bolted on and will bolt on, I'm still cheaper than a GS.  Not the same bells and whistles, but I'm not keeping score with anyone.  It is definitely a great well rounded machine.

For the record 13000 miles in 15 months.  It's a good bike.
    Last Edit: Jun 27, 2018, 08.23 pm by Plane Dr
    Bikes are like women.  What you want and what you think you want change after the first ride.

• Offline Friday

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    166

Offline Friday

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: '17 VFR1200X DCT
    • City / Town: Manitowoc, WI
    Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2018, 04.38 am
    Jun 29, 2018, 04.38 am
    Have to agree on that unexpected bonus of slow speed motoring. The combined brake from the rear pedal, mucho torque, and no need to clutch feather make a combination that can go a snail’s pace for extended period, straight or twisty-turny, with no other control inputs to manage. So it’s easy, then, to focus on the body inputs and it thus feels slow like a much smaller bike. Anyone who’s ridden liter bikes would detect this in a heartbeat.

• Offline Mspeirs

• Topic Author

Offline Mspeirs

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2018, 07.10 am
    Jun 29, 2018, 07.10 am
    Hi Friday,

Yes, I was most suprised the first time I pulled up behind slow moving traffic. Loaded and with wifey aboard, I expected the usual clumsy stop/start, feet down, be careful you don’t drop the bike routine...
    Instead, I was thinking, wow this thing is super well balanced, when of course it’s the DCT that makes it so easy.
    Now I like to play the game of trials rider. Can I get though this traffic with no feet down. Usually I win!

• Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    625

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
    • City / Town: PacNW
    Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2018, 12.11 pm
    Jun 29, 2018, 12.11 pm
    *Originally Posted by ADDS55 [+]
    As to the seat,  I have a Russell day long seat.  Best aftermarket seat I have ever had.  Had many, including Corbin, on other bikes.    It is a tractor seat design.  It is very wide.  Other aftermarket ones are narrow.  Would probably be real pain and expensive for you  to get done because of your location.   But imo, great for full day rides.   Only negative is it raises you up a couple of inches. 

As to foot pegs, look at knight foot pegs from Oregon.

Good post. Both recommendations are spot on. Only downside for non North American owners would be obtaining them affordably.