Author Topic: Off-road - Africa Twin  (Read 2595 times)

• Offline VfuRry   gb

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    219
    • Topic Author

Offline VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200XDH
    • City / Town: Ashbourne
    Off-road - Africa Twin
    on: Jun 07, 2018, 10.06 am
    Jun 07, 2018, 10.06 am
    Last week, I did a 2-day off-road course at the Honda Adventure Centre, Exmoor.

The HAC uses Africa Twins and, for those of you who are considering changing to an AT I can tell you that, after doing an extensive test-ride, it's a brilliant bike, both on and off-road.  I had a 2018 DCT bike with TBW, and it's very smooth (though not as smooth as the CT, obviously).

I saw the bikes dropped and crashed many times (once due to me) and after being picked up they just carried on.  The AT is surprisingly durable (although a few bits got broken, e.g. numberplate, indicators etc., and some parts had been glued back on).  Those of you considering taking it off-road (who haven't done it already), shouldn't have any concerns about whether it can do it.  It's probably a good idea to have someone to help you pick it up, though - although it handles very well when vertical, it's still quite a heavy beast to pick up on your own.

I wouldn't do 'proper' off-road on my CT, although I'd take it on moderate gravelly/rocky/muddy tracks (what I believe they call 'fire roads' in the US, Canada and possibly also Australia); it's just too heavy.  I recently saw it described by someone on advrider.com as 'an all-roads' tourer' and I think I'd agree with that.

As someone who had no off-road riding experience (except by accident, e.g. some gravelly tracks in the Pyrenees), I was amazed at what it was possible to do; climbing and descending steep hills with hairpins, with mud (lots), rocks, gravel, ruts, logs and other vegetation as a surface.  It was challenging (and a bit scary now & then).  I can highly recommend doing this (and the skills learned should also be useful on-road and for riding the CT mildly off-road); the venues and the instructors were brilliant.  It did rain more-or-less constantly, on one day, and I've never been wetter riding a motorbike, but that's all part of the fun.

Last Edit: Jun 07, 2018, 10.12 am by VfuRry

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Re: Off-road - Africa Twin
    Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2018, 12.08 pm
    Jun 07, 2018, 12.08 pm
    Sounds good Dave, some thing id like to do and have been thinking about for a while, my off road experience
    except by accident, e.g. some gravelly tracks in the Pyrenees
    amounts to the same as yours though in the Gorge Verdon. Im not sure to this day quite how I got away with it.

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2018, 04.26 pm
    Jun 07, 2018, 04.26 pm
    Thanks for the posting Dave, wish I could do it but alas to old and injured  :013:. Glad you enjoyed it 
    Bill

• Offline Dave56   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1794

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Grantham
    Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2018, 07.43 pm
    Jun 07, 2018, 07.43 pm
     :460: Dave and glad you enjoyed it. Must say that I’d fancy having a go, just not sure the back would hold out though.  :003:
    "The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

• Offline Big Bob

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    353

Offline Big Bob

• Crosstourer Pro
    • City / Town: Perth
    Reply #4 on: Jun 09, 2018, 03.30 am
    Jun 09, 2018, 03.30 am
    Who says the VFR can't do proper offroad :P

• Offline VfuRry   gb

• Topic Author

Offline VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2018, 09.58 am
    Jun 09, 2018, 09.58 am
    *Originally Posted by Big Bob [+]
    Who says the VFR can't do proper offroad :P

Not me; I'm sure it can. But I think I'd wait until I'd acquired a lot more skill to help me avoid dropping it.

And even then I'd want at least two other big blokes with me to help me pick it up, because dropping it sometimes is inevitable.  Picking up my VFR1200F from the nice, flat garage floor nearly killed me, and that was 'only' 270kg; this one's 285kg (DCT) without luggage.

I wonder, though, if the weight of the CT, when vertical, might actually help in some way?  Perhaps it just pushes mud and stuff out of the way, rather than tucking under?  What do you reckon?

• Offline VfuRry   gb

• Topic Author

Offline VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2018, 10.08 am
    Jun 09, 2018, 10.08 am
    *Originally Posted by Yasko [+]
    ... wish I could do it but alas to old and injured...

*Originally Posted by Dave56 [+]
    Must say that I’d fancy having a go, just not sure the back would hold out though.

Well, I did suffer a bit afterwards, and I'm still sore.  Oddly, I was fine after the first day, although quite tired, which was useful going into the second day, and it was only after a day or two, and the long-ish ride home, that I really started to feel it, mainly in my arms, neck, and back.

• Offline Big Bob

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    353

Offline Big Bob

• Crosstourer Pro
    • City / Town: Perth
    Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2018, 01.24 pm
    Jun 09, 2018, 01.24 pm
    *Originally Posted by VfuRry [+]

Not me; I'm sure it can. But I think I'd wait until I'd acquired a lot more skill to help me avoid dropping it.

And even then I'd want at least two other big blokes with me to help me pick it up, because dropping it sometimes is inevitable.  Picking up my VFR1200F from the nice, flat garage floor nearly killed me, and that was 'only' 270kg; this one's 285kg (DCT) without luggage.

I wonder, though, if the weight of the CT, when vertical, might actually help in some way?  Perhaps it just pushes mud and stuff out of the way, rather than tucking under?  What do you reckon?

Sorry but the weight has never helped anywhere except high winds :D

I've dropeed mine a few times.  Its good exercise.  In a way its a good thing, because it sux balls to pick up the big girl I try extra hard to ride properly :)

arab-exile