Author Topic: Bang and the shelf has gone  (Read 2104 times)

• Offline x11

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    146
    • Topic Author

Offline x11

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Highlander dct
    • City / Town: Lincolnshire
    Bang and the shelf has gone
    on: May 15, 2018, 04.35 pm
    May 15, 2018, 04.35 pm
    Not sure where to post this.
    Last night at about 11.30 I heard a loud bang/thud outside, when I went to see what had happened I found a shelf in the garage on the floor and leaning on the crosstourer ,very lucky that it hadn't made a mark on it or damaged the helmets, just a scratch on the visor .
     I have sent the following email to the manufacturer but not had a reply yet. Just wondered if anyone else has had this happen, ( this is an orange based cleaner good for removing tar spots on the bike/ chewing gum from trousers and carpets / shelves from  garage walls etc)             
      "I had a can of  pronatur orange stored on a shelf in my garage, the shelf is made of a top &  bottom board with 5 compartments each 320mm  square and open back & front. Last night at approx 11.30pm we heard a loud bang/thump followed by a noise similar to something falling onto a metal roof. when I went to investigate I found the shelf on the garage floor with all the contents including 2 motorcycle crash helmets  (and a bench grinder which was under it) on the concrete and also the remains of the tin of orange cleaner which had exploded  inside one of the compartments .the shelf brackets were still fixed to the wall and the shelf was three metres from the window so the can was never exposed to any heat from the sun. The top half of the can is still round but the base is hanging on by a small piece of the lower half which looks like a piece of torn paper, The shelf had not just fallen down but had been pushed away from the wall and off the brackets by the can exploding  I would like to know if anything similar has come to your notice"
    Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 05.05 pm by x11

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Re: Bang and the shelf has gone
    Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 05.59 pm
    May 15, 2018, 05.59 pm
    The contents and vapour are extremely flammable when exposed to heat, spark, flame or ember. That will be their defence. There has clearly been an explosion and if the product had not been exposed to the aforementioned then the only cause left is one of internal combustion where the contents have had a chemical reaction which has produced an exothermic reaction (generating heat) with a resulting explosion. I would clearly investigate this  likelihood and any similar events. All the best with it.
    Bill

• Offline pistnbroke   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1572

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: crosstourer
    • City / Town: Irby
    Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 06.13 pm
    May 15, 2018, 06.13 pm
    Good luck x11 on finding out what happened.

I do know that if you leave Linseed oil residue on rags that can self ignite somehow, i read it on the instructioins on the side of the bottle.
    I know its not the same as your problem but it may tie in with what Yakso has said.

:028:
    keep it shiny side up !!!

• Offline x11

• Topic Author

Offline x11

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 09.30 pm
    May 15, 2018, 09.30 pm
    *Originally Posted by Yasko [+]
    The contents and vapour are extremely flammable when exposed to heat, spark, flame or ember. That will be their defence. There has clearly been an explosion and if the product had not been exposed to the aforementioned then the only cause left is one of internal combustion where the contents have had a chemical reaction which has produced an exothermic reaction (generating heat) with a resulting explosion. I would clearly investigate this  likelihood and any similar events. All the best with it.

Bit of a mystery,  it was next to several other cans and even when it exploded, they did not pop It had not been moved or used for 3 or 4 months, it's not been kept under different conditions to any other of about 20 other aerosol cans I have  now and have had over the years, and some of them are a lot older than it was

• Offline x11

• Topic Author

Offline x11

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 03.07 pm
    May 18, 2018, 03.07 pm
    *Originally Posted by x11 [+]
    Not sure where to post this.
    Last night at about 11.30 I heard a loud bang/thud outside, when I went to see what had happened I found a shelf in the garage on the floor and leaning on the crosstourer ,very lucky that it hadn't made a mark on it or damaged the helmets, just a scratch on the visor .
     I have sent the following email to the manufacturer but not had a reply yet. Just wondered if anyone else has had this happen, ( this is an orange based cleaner good for removing tar spots on the bike/ chewing gum from trousers and carpets / shelves from  garage walls etc)             
      "I had a can of  pronatur orange stored on a shelf in my garage, the shelf is made of a top &  bottom board with 5 compartments each 320mm  square and open back & front. Last night at approx 11.30pm we heard a loud bang/thump followed by a noise similar to something falling onto a metal roof. when I went to investigate I found the shelf on the garage floor with all the contents including 2 motorcycle crash helmets  (and a bench grinder which was under it) on the concrete and also the remains of the tin of orange cleaner which had exploded  inside one of the compartments .the shelf brackets were still fixed to the wall and the shelf was three metres from the window so the can was never exposed to any heat from the sun. The top half of the can is still round but the base is hanging on by a small piece of the lower half which looks like a piece of torn paper, The shelf had not just fallen down but had been pushed away from the wall and off the brackets by the can exploding  I would like to know if anything similar has come to your notice"
    Update to above,
     after sending the code from the tin to the manufacturer it seems it came from their factory nearly ten years ago and has a shelf life   of 5 years , so it was out of date when I bought it (through ebay) although this in itself should not have caused it to explode. I guess it doesn't always pay to look for the best priced item you want, there's usually a reason they're the cheapest
    Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 03.09 pm by x11

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 04.38 pm
    May 18, 2018, 04.38 pm
    Professionally this has intrigued me. Pronatur Orange is a  solvent cleaner and degreaser formulated from derivatives of orange oils and synthesised mineral oil with a flashpoint of 69°C (classifying it as “non-flammable”). However it has high flash point and with any fire involving the substance, water cannot be used. It replaces chlorinated, paraffinic and flammable solvents in most applications thus offering a safer alternative for effective degreasing. I assume the container was pressurised which would increase the force of the explosion. Whether pressurised or just sealed  your update states that the can and contents were ten years old with a shelf life of 5 years. Incidentally synthetic mineral oils decompose at approximately 50% quicker then mineral oils. As I previously stated (There has clearly been an explosion and if the product had not been exposed to the aforementioned then the only cause left is one of internal combustion where the contents have had a chemical reaction which has produced an exothermic reaction (generating heat) with a resulting explosion. I would clearly investigate this  likelihood and any similar events. All the best with it.)
    Now we can add decomposition of the contents and possible oxidation together with the ambient temperature in the garage during the summer months which may have aided the decomposition. However without the exact breakdown of the contents this can only be construed as a possibility and would need to be investigated. I cannot though with the information supplied come to any other conclusion. As you quite rightly state cheaper substitutes or in this case a 'sell by date breach of sale' should ring the alarm bells and be questioned thoroughly.

As a footnote I investigated a serious house fire and found the cause to be radiated heat through obscured (bullseye) bathroom glass from the sun rays having been magnified by the glass. This then heated a pressurised can of hairspray causing an explosion leading to the origin of fire in the bathroom.

*Originally Posted by pistnbroke [+]
    Good luck x11 on finding out what happened.

I do know that if you leave Linseed oil residue on rags that can self ignite somehow, i read it on the instructioins on the side of the bottle.
    I know its not the same as your problem but it may tie in with what Yakso has said.

:028:
    This is correct the chemical organic compounds (oil & cotton for example) produce an exothermic reaction especially if tightlly bundled and can spontaneously ignite. You have the fuel heat and oxygen = fire.
    Bill

• Offline x11

• Topic Author

Offline x11

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 07.04 pm
    May 19, 2018, 07.04 pm
     I don't think there's much chance of finding out why this happened, the manufacturer said he had never heard of any other case like this, I'll just not buy in an aerosol can next time.

arab-exile