Author Topic: No throttle response - Intermittent failure  (Read 3123 times)

• Offline hondapaneuro

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    51
    • Topic Author

Offline hondapaneuro

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    No throttle response - Intermittent failure
    on: May 15, 2018, 02.19 pm
    May 15, 2018, 02.19 pm
    2016 CT (manual) 8000miles. Out for a spin a couple of days ago the bike starts running rough and surging at times, especially around 2-4000 rpm. First suspect; dirty or poor quality petrol - ran the bike dry and refilled with BP Ultimate. It went well again, happy days. Next day rough running returns and progressively gets worse. After a short lunch stop and then restart I'm in the middle of a set of traffic lights when the MIL light comes on and throttle response is nil (bike just idles) - just brilliant! After an embarrasing push to the side of the road I switched the ignition off/on a few times until the MIL light goes out and throttle response is restored. Homeward ride was extremely erratic. Quick interweb search later - disconnect the battery overnight, reconnect and then start it up and let idle until the fan kicks in - did this, went for a spin, happy days all well with the world (or my bit anyway), just needed a reboot of sorts. Later that day.... within 200m of starting out I knew it was back, returned home, switch off and back on MIL light blinks (idle only, throttle not working). So, I videoed the blinks and I make it out to be 7 long and 3 short = 73 and, again resorting to the web, find this fault to be probably in area of throttle position sensor. (of course I'm no Honda mechanic, so I could be wrong...)
    At this point I'm all out of ideas and patience... So, rung HondaCare, who promptly sent the AA and the bike has now just been recovered to Hurst's Honda in Belfast.
    As the AA man said; with an intermittent fault of that nature it would be unsafe to ride.
    Now to see what level of customer care comes my way.....

• Offline pistnbroke   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1572

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: crosstourer
    • City / Town: Irby
    Re: No throttle response - Intermittent failure
    Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 07.41 pm
    May 15, 2018, 07.41 pm
    Hope you get the very best customer service, and that the bike is returned very quickly to you.

Fingers crossed for you.  :028: :031:
    keep it shiny side up !!!

• Offline hondapaneuro

• Topic Author

Offline hondapaneuro

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 04.37 pm
    May 21, 2018, 04.37 pm
    Thank for you kind wishes, Pistonbroke.
    However....
    One week on and not a thing achieved. On Thursday past I phoned, and I quote; "we have our top Yamaha technician looking at it and he has seen the fault happen".
    I called in today for an update; no further action has been taken and it's not logged on Honda's warranty claims system, so I've not got a claim reference.
    Called Honda direct and logged an official complaint (with the threat of legal action), they say up to 3 days for a response.....

• Offline Fat Bert   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    834

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
    • City / Town: Tenby
    Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 04.55 pm
    May 21, 2018, 04.55 pm
    I'm going to watch this thread with interest.

Repeatedly now, Honda's attitude to customer service is poor - and getting worse

I remember the debacle over teh Shaft drive recall/failure

Do Honda not realise that faults/problems of this sort are potentially life-threatening?

Cmon Honda UK - time to sort your office staff out and get a grip
    "Team Fat Bert" Racing

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 07.15 am
    May 22, 2018, 07.15 am
     :0461: and will also watch with interest. Honda dealer and 'top Yamaha technician'  :087:
    Bill

• Offline hondapaneuro

• Topic Author

Offline hondapaneuro

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 08.21 am
    May 25, 2018, 08.21 am
    For those of you who are watching - here's an update;
    Wednesday 23 May, I called in to Hurst's Honda Belfast, spoke with the manager - all very nice at first and apologetic, the mood changed when I started questioning him on the exact status of the repair/non repair. I have a detailed knowledge of how the Honda fault register and the warranty claims system works. At this point, a week and a day, it wasn't registered as a fault - of course he didn't tell me this. They did offer me a loan bike which I declined.
    Thursday 24 May, Hondacare have now had their 3 days to respond - they didn't contact me. I rung them (again) after a bit of probing the agent I got him to check the register, lo & behold the fault is now registered. So now I wait, what is supposed to happen is the technical people at Honda have a chance to see the issue and come up with possible solutions. I just hope a Yamaha technician can follow the instructions.....
    Hondacare, my arse !
    Remember this is a service I (and you, if you bought new) have already paid for!

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 09.14 am
    May 25, 2018, 09.14 am
    Thanks for the update, no surprises regarding Honda Customer care department. I wonder how Hondacare technicians view the Yamaha technician's qualifications to carry out any relevant work. As your bike is not DCT there should not be a problem but warranty wise? Hope you get it sorted mate.
    Bill

• Offline Fredz   au

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    118

Offline Fredz

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 12.16 am
    May 29, 2018, 12.16 am
    If you reckon that's bad, just don't ever thing of getting a Can-Am Spyder.