Author Topic: DCT on a ferry???  (Read 4613 times)

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074
    • Topic Author

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    DCT on a ferry???
    on: May 06, 2018, 06.25 pm
    May 06, 2018, 06.25 pm
    Hi guys,

We’re off to Spain on our annual trip this year. We’re heading south on the Plymouth/Santander ferry which will be a first for us.
    I’ve done Isle of Man and other shorter Ferries on a bike but never with a DCT.

Usually it’s a case of putting the bike on the side stand and in gear which is not possible on a DCT. I appreciate I have the “handbrake “ but to be honest I don’t have a great deal of confidence in it. I’m considering getting a couple of cheap rubber chocks to put in front of and behind the rear wheel or possibly using a tywrap pulled lightly around the front break lever to give a little more reassurance.

Anyone any other tips or experience with the DCT in similar circumstances?

• Offline x11

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    146

Offline x11

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Highlander dct
    • City / Town: Lincolnshire
    Re: DCT on a ferry???
    Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 07.15 pm
    May 06, 2018, 07.15 pm
    *Originally Posted by Hartley [+]
    Hi guys,

We’re off to Spain on our annual trip this year. We’re heading south on the Plymouth/Santander ferry which will be a first for us.
    I’ve done Isle of Man and other shorter Ferries on a bike but never with a DCT.

Usually it’s a case of putting the bike on the side stand and in gear which is not possible on a DCT. I appreciate I have the “handbrake “ but to be honest I don’t have a great deal of confidence in it. I’m considering getting a couple of cheap rubber chocks to put in front of and behind the rear wheel or possibly using a tywrap pulled lightly around the front break lever to give a little more reassurance.

Anyone any other tips or experience with the DCT in similar circumstances?

I've not been from Plymouth, but North Sea Ferries from Hull had eyes on the deck and provided ratchet straps, the same on the Ferries to Ireland, parking brake doesn't inspire confidence, I use a stretchy neck tube( think that's what they're called) wrapped round the front brake lever and throttle and mirror stalk

• Offline leadfarmer

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    344

Offline leadfarmer

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: R1200 GS LC
    Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 08.29 pm
    May 06, 2018, 08.29 pm
    Corsica ferries also supply straps and piece of foam for your saddle

If in doubt, give the ferry company a call and ask or at worst carry a bungee or a rope of your own

And yes the handbrake is useless, I had one
    Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul ....

• Offline superduper

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    140

Offline superduper

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 10.21 pm
    May 06, 2018, 10.21 pm
    they should give a ratchet strap as said,

you could also take a couple of decent cable ties and put one on the front brake lever when onboard

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074
    • Topic Author

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 06.36 am
    May 07, 2018, 06.36 am
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I know they’ll strap the bike down, Brittany Ferries’s acutually have a video on their site and I believe the deck hands sort it.
    It was mainly my concern over not being able to put the bike in gear and relying on the parking break. It seems I’m not alone in my concerns.

Thanks for the tips.

• Offline Slidy

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    116

Offline Slidy

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Crosstourer, S10
    Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 08.04 am
    May 07, 2018, 08.04 am
    Done the Santander ferry a few times and they do have ratchet straps and cushions for your bike. . . . . Unlike the Algeceras to Tangier Med ferry. I asked where the straps/tie downs were, and he pointed to a handrail and gave us some 'string'  :008:

• Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    694

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFRXDCT
    • City / Town: Beith, Ex-0141
    Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 01.04 pm
    May 07, 2018, 01.04 pm
    I just stick the handbrake on and wait till the crew have finished strapping it down to make sure I’m happy with it. Used to do the cable tie on the front lever and take my own small ratchet strap. Don’t bother with any of that anymore on Brittany or DFDS.

CALMAC last year was different. Out the 10 ferries we got only got asked once to stay and hold the bike! Luckily only about 20-30 mins! Sweat city so it was being mister counter balance.

So don’t fret and enjoy the trip.

• Offline Dave56   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1794

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Grantham
    Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 12.02 am
    May 09, 2018, 12.02 am
    Paul, I know that when I took the Bilbao ferry a couple of years ago they put all the bikes on the lowest of the car decks right in the bowls of the ship which means that any roll effect of the ship is hopefully far less apparent which should mean that the handbrake should be sufficient.
    Putting a cable tie around the front brake lever could be the answer but would that be OK over such a long period.
    But as I will also be travelling the Bilbao route again this year I will watch this thread with interest.
    "The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

arab-exile