Author Topic: Need advice on purchasing either a Crosstourer or Africa twin DCT  (Read 4238 times)

• Offline Mac964

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    4
    • Topic Author

Offline Mac964

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Need advice on purchasing either a Crosstourer or Africa twin DCT
    on: May 02, 2018, 05.23 pm
    May 02, 2018, 05.23 pm
    Hi.

I’ve been a lurker on this forum for a while and have learned a lot.

I’m about to purchase a new bike and would appreciate some input

Background
    I’m a disabled rider - I have a prosthetic left leg and a congenital deformity of my right arm/ hand. This means that I have to adapt my bikes to a left hand throttle/ controls and on a manuel bike need to install a gear shifter ( a Kliktronic unit).

The nature of the above means that test rides aren’t a possibility - so I generally have to make a leap of faith when I buy and get the bike adapted.  I’ve previously run various bikes - a few GS’s , Guzzis Yamaha’s etc

My plan this time around is to get a dct bike as this in theory should make for a much simpler adaptation and easier day to day use.

I’m limited to buying a bike with a throttle cable system- as full ride by wire systems are going to be much more complex to adapt, particularly if I want the throttle to operate normally ( ie twist back to accelerate etc)

So I’m looking at either a new Crosstourer or a 2017 Africa twin.

The majority of my riding day to day will be commuting through London to work - and then longer weekend rides and the occasional longer trip into Europe ( these have become few since the arrival of kids !)

I’m drawn to the Crosstourer as the build quality looks good ( I generally run bikes for 5 or more years - they are a pain to get adapted) and the shaft drive is less hassle and I like the power. But it’s an old bike and design

But is it too heavy for my daily use ? I’m not fussed particularly about the weight having run a GS for many years - but would a lighter Africa Twin be more fun to hustle around town? 

As regards the AT I like the looks and the fact it is technologically newer , but have concerns about the build quality and it’s potential longevity

I know it’s all a matter of personal preference- but would appreciate some views from you all to put into the mix

Thanks

Mac

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Re: Need advice on purchasing either a Crosstourer or Africa twin DCT
    Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 05.54 pm
    May 02, 2018, 05.54 pm
    Hi Mac,

Id say the reliabilty and build quality of the CT is its strong point and i have started to hear from a few people that the build quality of the AT is not quite as good as it should be though ive never owned an Africa twin.

Ive ridden the AT and though its lighter it didnt strike me as being a lot lighter. Ive also ridden the latest GS and that really did feel a lot lighter thant he CT.  I think a lot of the weight of the crosstourer is evident when pulling it up off the sidestand, its that first impression that its a heavy bike, riding it id say less so.

Hope this helps a little.

Good luck with your hunt.

Paul

• Offline Dave56   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1794

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Grantham
    Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 07.34 pm
    May 02, 2018, 07.34 pm
    *Originally Posted by Hartley [+]
    Hi Mac,

Id say the reliabilty and build quality of the CT is its strong point and i have started to hear from a few people that the build quality of the AT is not quite as good as it should be though ive never owned an Africa twin.

Ive ridden the AT and though its lighter it didnt strike me as being a lot lighter. Ive also ridden the latest GS and that really did feel a lot lighter thant he CT.  I think a lot of the weight of the crosstourer is evident when pulling it up off the sidestand, its that first impression that its a heavy bike, riding it id say less so.

Hope this helps a little.

Good luck with your hunt.

Paul

I agree with Hartley mac, the CT’s weight is more apparent when man handling it around, once on the move the weight disappears in a sense.
    My only concern would be hustling a CT through London traffic, although the AT (I assume your not talking the new sport version which is heavier) may not differ to greatly in the weight stakes I would assume it would be easier to tackle the commute etc.
    All the best with your choice mate.  :028:
    "The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

• Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    610

Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master
    Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 07.52 pm
    May 02, 2018, 07.52 pm
    The CT is a heavy bike, granted its not an issue on the move, but at stand still I have to be careful not to let it lean past the point of no returN! Although not dropped it yet (or my 2 previous CT's)

If your main use is commuting into London why not consider the Honda NC750, in one of its variations, with the DCT box?

• Offline Mac964

• Topic Author

Offline Mac964

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 08.19 pm
    May 02, 2018, 08.19 pm
    *Originally Posted by GADGET [+]
    The CT is a heavy bike, granted its not an issue on the move, but at stand still I have to be careful not to let it lean past the point of no returN! Although not dropped it yet (or my 2 previous CT's)

If your main use is commuting into London why not consider the Honda NC750, in one of its variations, with the DCT box?

Thanks Gadget. I looked at the NC750X early on- but the power to weight put me off. It’s quite heavy for the 50bhp it produces. Very practical bike though
    Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 08.23 pm by Mac964

• Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    592

Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master
    • City / Town: East Sussex
    Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 08.55 pm
    May 02, 2018, 08.55 pm
    The NC750X is a great commuter bike, does it all want for nothing, unless you want power and rev over 6K, after all its half a car engine

The CT is not a nice commuter, big, bulky heavy and in slow traffic too much clutch work, but the DCT option you want may be better.

The AT would be nicer and more fun as long as you are tall enough.

Just test ride for a day and make your choice because asking others will just give you thier opinion and not yours.

Maybe a Tiger 800 or Crossrunner would be a better option.

• Offline Mac964

• Topic Author

Offline Mac964

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 09.23 pm
    May 02, 2018, 09.23 pm
    *Originally Posted by Maverick [+]
    The NC750X is a great commuter bike, does it all want for nothing, unless you want power and rev over 6K, after all its half a car engine

The CT is not a nice commuter, big, bulky heavy and in slow traffic too much clutch work, but the DCT option you want may be better.

The AT would be nicer and more fun as long as you are tall enough.

Just test ride for a day and make your choice because asking others will just give you thier opinion and not yours.

Maybe a Tiger 800 or Crossrunner would be a better option.

Thanks - sadly because of the issues I detailed in my first post test rides are not possible, so I’m reliant on my gut - but it’s always interesting to hear other views when they have experience of the bikes in question

• Offline Rushy

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    76

Offline Rushy

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: DCT H'landerCamo
    • City / Town: Cheshire
    Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 10.17 pm
    May 02, 2018, 10.17 pm
    I did 250 around Wales and Shropshire with two guys riding NC750Xs on Sunday, they really do handle well and in the right hands are as quick as something bigger with twice the power on a typical english B road or very twisty A road. My mate, riding a fully loaded 2008GSA and weighing about 17stone, said at times he was using almost all his available power to stick with them once they got onto a particular road that they knew very well. The road was quite narrow and bumpy and on my heavier CT I struggled to keep up as they were riding beyond the point where I was comfortable and an extra 75horses was making no difference whatsoever. Do not underestimate how good the NC is,  my mate was really astonished after previously reading that the were " lazy, slow revving & underpowered".

Whats more one of the guys had paid about £4.5k for a nice 16 plate with extras , he'd only picked it up the day before. This would leave you lots of spare cash for any other mods you would nice to make plus even more "farkles" .. Also they averaged nearly 70mpg all day and I averaged 43 !

Bigger is not always best  :016:

Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 10.20 pm by Rushy