Author Topic: Shake-down ride, Winter mods report! (and a few tools)  (Read 3679 times)

• Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    127
    • Topic Author

Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    Shake-down ride, Winter mods report! (and a few tools)
    on: Apr 22, 2018, 02.49 pm
    Apr 22, 2018, 02.49 pm
    Greetings All!

After a long winter and a bunch of little mods done to the bike, I finally got to do a first ride on the CT and see how things are turning out.
    This is a rocky start to the season as well, the DCT showed a strange glitch (more on this in another post) and the CT reminded me again, in a painful way that its a tall heavy bike (darn thing fell over in the garage..... assaulting my new to me R6 as well!  drat!)

The winter mod list and verdicts:

VeeFour Cruise Control,

Install difficulty: moderate (bike needed to be stripped down to the throttle bodies, soldering to the stock wiring harness etc)

How it works:  Just like a car cruise control, large easy to use buttons, LED lights easily visible

Could be better: Control location would be better on left bar, DCT version is on right because of parking brake lever on left bar, will get used to it, I use my left hand to engage and adjust 1st time, right hand after its on, using right hand for 1st engagement is harder, careful not to hit engine kill switch! (read DCT glitch in other post)

Verdict:  Excellent mod!  very much worth the effort, the cruise control is easy to use, and intuitive, would do it again!

Radiator Guard,

Install Difficulty: Easy, even easier once you decide to keep stock guard! (original instructions have you cutting off the stock guard, don't do this!)

How it works: Simple, install the guard, it protects the radiator. 

Could be better:  Once you realize (as I did after reading someone else's post on here) that you dont' have to remove the stock plastic guard that comes with the bike, and after a small spacer install you can install the new guard and keep the original lower guard

Verdict: Excellent mod!  feels sturdy, well thought out, would do it again!

SoundBomb Air-Horn,

Install Difficulty:  Moderate, fabricating new wiring hardness for air pump, install location is under left side fairing, things barely fit, but they do fit!  I cut the metal mount "ear" off the air pump to help fitment

How it works: After the install, the horn is 100% hidden & protected, stock horn removed, its wiring used to trigger new horn via relay, 100% normal operation

Could be better: Not much, trust yourself that it will fit!  I bought both the split and single piece horns just to make sure I can get it to fit, the single piece fits just right!  Included relay seems cheap, I used a quality Japanese 20A relay to trigger/power horn air pump

Verdict: Excellent Horn!  the weak stock horn is pure garbage, this new horn is Fantastic, this is how a motorcycle horn should be! Would 100% do it again!

Matris Fork Cartridges & HyperPro Progressive fork springs,

Install Difficulty: Moderate-to-Difficult, you will need to buy or fabricate special tool to remove and install the fork cartridges, a spring compressor is necessary on the USD forks, and a level setting device is needed to set fork oil level.  Luckily I have all the tools, and do recommend doing it yourself if you're mechanically inclined.  You are also combining two mods here, cartridges and springs from different manufacturers, fork oil selection is made difficult due to fork oil weights not being standardized so you're using viscosity charts to match fork oils.  Hyper Pro suggests 15w oil, Matris 7.5w oil, I chose to match Matris suggestion and using 10w Motul fork oil.

How it works:  You replace the entire guts of the stock forks, including the springs and fork caps.  After that, you have fully adjustable forks, compression, rebound, pre-load operation, (original springs are progressive, hyperpro springs are as well)

Could be better:  Fork oil selection is tricky, fork oil weights are not standardized, you're relying on the large amount of adjustability of the cartridges to find settings that work for you.

Verdict: Excellent mod!  front end still needs a bit of tweaking with the fully adjustable range now, but its immediately more compliant (forks glide over small bumps, front end is stable and planted feeling)  Handling is improved.  It seems my weight is at the bottom of the range, with pre-load all the way on lowest setting, the static sag is perfect!  Would do it again!

HyperPro Rear Shock, fully adjustable,

Install Difficulty: Moderate-to-high, the Hyperpro remote reservoir install location is idiotic and as a result the hose is far too long, had to improvise and install in reasonable location under the tail section.  Shock removal and install is quite straight forward though.

How it works: Entire rear shock is replaced with a quality HyperPro unit, you gain full adjustability including high and low speed adjustments, hydraulic pre-load adjuster, compression and rebound clickers, non-emulsive rear shock (better than oem design)  You also gain a progressive rear spring (front is progressive from factory)  an excellent idea on a bike with such a wide range of uses.

Could be better:  Again, HyperPro remote reservoir install location on front crash bar is pure lunacy, you dump the bike once on the left side (I've dropped the bike twice on the left side already, since I've owned the bike!) and you lose the reservoir!  Lunacy!  and what if you don't have a crash bar (like me!) you improvise a hose routing and install under the tail section, then everything is ok.  Definitely order the shock with a short hose, maybe 14 or 18 inches.

Verdict:  What an improvement over stock!  Before on some turns the rear end felt like it was tucking, and not quite as stable, now its very comfy, stable, and feels like a quality piece.  Would do it again!

So that is it, the winter mods list.
    I think all of them are worth while, and make an already great bike better.

I also should mention a few tools:
    The fork cartridge holder can be made from a simple copper pipe, I used 1 1/4" pipe, but a 1 1/8" pipe may be better, 1" is too small and wont fit the cartridge correctly.
    One end needs a simple hole for a Bar so you can keep the pipe from spinning, the other end needs a set of 4 teeth cut out that hold the fork cartridge in place.  My pipe was 3 feet long, it does not need to be that long, 2 feet should be more than enough.

Motool suspension sag tool,
    This is a great tool for measuring your suspension sag and doing the job by yourself.  Normally setting sag requires one or two friends to help, some measuring tape, and is impossible to do yourself.  With this tool, you can do the job on your own.  If you do get the tool, get the V2, as it comes with a very handy remote display. 

I'll include photos of the mods and tools.

Enjoy the riding season and keep the shiny side up!

Tazmool

• Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    592

Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFR1200X DCT
    • City / Town: Holywell
    Re: Shake-down ride, Winter mods report! (and a few tools)
    Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2018, 05.19 pm
    Apr 22, 2018, 05.19 pm
    Great insight. The fork adjusters are slick.  :062:
    I am tempted to go for the replacement horn now  :005:
    Puch125, CD175, CB175, C90, CB100, CB900, VF750, K100, CBR1000, CBR1000, DR650SE, RF900R, Bayliner, RF900R, Super Blackbird, Piaggio X9 125, Burgman 650, Hayabusa, VFR1200F, VFR1200X, F800 GT,

• Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    625

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
    • City / Town: PacNW
    Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2018, 01.33 am
    Apr 28, 2018, 01.33 am
    ...and I thought I was busy with farkles on my bike over the winter!

Wheh!   :020:

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2018, 08.35 am
    Apr 28, 2018, 08.35 am
     :047: Well done, many a time I have wished to have those skills  :012: Ride safe Tazmool  :305:
    Bill

• Offline pistnbroke   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1572

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: crosstourer
    • City / Town: Irby
    Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 10.01 pm
    May 15, 2018, 10.01 pm
    I agree with you Martymouse, a new horn would be a bonus , especially if its a loud one like we all need from time to time.   :157:
    keep it shiny side up !!!

• Offline ps54321

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    15

Offline ps54321

• Crosstourer Member
    Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2018, 04.18 pm
    Jun 06, 2018, 04.18 pm
    Tazmool,
    where did you get your radiator guard?

• Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    127
    • Topic Author

Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2018, 05.49 pm
    Jun 06, 2018, 05.49 pm
    I got the rad guard off eBay, its a RadGuards unit.
    There is a seller in Canada that sells on eBay and stocks them.  They are not cheap, but fit is very good, and definitely DO NOT cut off your stock plastic guard like the instructions say to do, the guard fits under the stock guard (as you can see in my photos)

Hope this helps
    Tazmool
    Last Edit: Jun 06, 2018, 05.52 pm by Tazmool

• Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    625

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
    • City / Town: PacNW
    Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2018, 02.53 pm
    Jun 08, 2018, 02.53 pm
    The R&G rad guard works well too and easy install.

arab-exile