Author Topic: Front wheel noise and panel pin issue.  (Read 2671 times)

• Offline Mcgrath

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    188
    • Topic Author

Offline Mcgrath

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: DCT 2012 Black
    • City / Town: Swords
    Front wheel noise and panel pin issue.
    on: Mar 27, 2018, 06.43 pm
    Mar 27, 2018, 06.43 pm
    Hi,

looking for some help on two issues..

Firstly, I got new front tyre in Feb. Michelin ROAD5 trail. Very happy with it except that there is a noticeable hum coming from the front wheel when driving. I rang garage I got it fitted from today and he basically dismissed my concern. Pressure is correct at 36PSI.
    I have contacted Michelin to ask if noise is normal. I know Anakees are known to be noisy but PR5 don't have this reputation and my previous PR4 wasn't.
    In the meantime I want to satisfy my curiosity that wheel was fitted correctly. I took a couple of pics of the left hand spacer. (right side when looking at bike.)
    Can someone compare this to their bike to see if it looks the same? Just wondering if it is sitting as flush as it should.
    Fuel economy has reduced by approx 1km/l since I got them, but I know plenty of factors can effect that. I spun the wheel today by hand and doesn't seem to be any real restriction.

Other question I have is about the trim clip on the final drive cover. I want to remove this but it looks different to ones I have removed before. Any advice on how it is removed before I break it? Is it the original clip or is this one a DIY job?

All help/ advice extremely appreciated..

• Offline HoldMyBeer

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    124

Offline HoldMyBeer

• Crosstourer Pro
    Re: Front wheel noise and panel pin issue.
    Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2018, 07.47 pm
    Mar 27, 2018, 07.47 pm
    Hey there  :821:
    I'll take some pics of wheel spacing tomorrow morning for you to compare, but according to service manual (always great thing to have) axle shaft looks to be flush or thereabouts with outside of the fork leg. That's on the right side when looking at the bike. If I was you I would loosen axle bolt and pinch bolts and adjust axle shaft in/out to be flush with the outside fork leg. Re-torque them to specified torque (54Nm for the axle bolt and 22Nm for the pinch bolts).

For the final drive plastic cover I've got 2 bolts on mine and 1 clip. Clip is the same as all the others on the bike. Lost one at some point in the past when fiddling with the bike so got 10 of them from here for 2 quid:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-SUZUKI-YAMAHA-KAWASAKI-HONDA-MOTORCYCLE-FENDER-panel-trim-clips-X10/142625991165?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Hope that helps,
    Ged

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2018, 08.51 pm
    Mar 27, 2018, 08.51 pm
    Here you go, mine looks the same:

Different tyres do make varying amounts of noise, as you say, the anakees can be quite noisey, ive got pilot road 2s on my XJR and the front is noisey also.

Looks like part of the clip is missing:

• Offline Mcgrath

• Topic Author

Offline Mcgrath

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2018, 09.56 pm
    Mar 27, 2018, 09.56 pm
    *Originally Posted by Hartley [+]
    Here you go, mine looks the same:

Different tyres do make varying amounts of noise, as you say, the anakees can be quite noisey, ive got pilot road 2s on my XJR and the front is noisey also.

Looks like part of the clip is missing:

Hi Hartley,
    thanks for taking the time to take pics. Its a relief to see yours match. Hopefully it is just tyre noise. I will have a go at teasing out the clip.
    Cheers..

• Offline Mcgrath

• Topic Author

Offline Mcgrath

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2018, 10.03 pm
    Mar 27, 2018, 10.03 pm
    *Originally Posted by HoldMyBeer [+]
    Hey there  :821:
    I'll take some pics of wheel spacing tomorrow morning for you to compare, but according to service manual (always great thing to have) axle shaft looks to be flush or thereabouts with outside of the fork leg. That's on the right side when looking at the bike. If I was you I would loosen axle bolt and pinch bolts and adjust axle shaft in/out to be flush with the outside fork leg. Re-torque them to specified torque (54Nm for the axle bolt and 22Nm for the pinch bolts).

For the final drive plastic cover I've got 2 bolts on mine and 1 clip. Clip is the same as all the others on the bike. Lost one at some point in the past when fiddling with the bike so got 10 of them from here for 2 quid:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-SUZUKI-YAMAHA-KAWASAKI-HONDA-MOTORCYCLE-FENDER-panel-trim-clips-X10/142625991165?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Hope that helps,
    Ged

Hi Ged,
    thanks for the reply. The clips in the link are what I was expecting and hoping to see. I broke one on my last bike and meant to order some. Now that I know how they work I have managed to keep them intact since. The clip on my bike is different and damaged also. It looks like a mushroom type head with no push-through part. I will look online for ways to get it out without breaking it further.
    I've never had to take a panel off to remove a calliper before..!
    Cheers..

• Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    375

Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200XD
    Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2018, 04.04 pm
    Mar 28, 2018, 04.04 pm
    Did you change anything else on your bike or clothes?
    Noise can also caused by bearings, brakes or even wind that slides your clothes.

• Offline Mcgrath

• Topic Author

Offline Mcgrath

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2018, 04.07 pm
    Mar 28, 2018, 04.07 pm
    *Originally Posted by Superjeap [+]
    Did you change anything else on your bike or clothes?
    Noise can also caused by bearings, brakes or even wind that slides your clothes.
    No its the only change. Heard it on the way home from getting the tyre, been there since..

• Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    610

Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master
    Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2018, 05.16 pm
    Mar 28, 2018, 05.16 pm
    That clip looks like a panel retention clip, that you would use on a  car, like a door card.

arab-exile