• Topic Author

Offline falkland bomber

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    NC 500
    on: Feb 17, 2018, 12.00 pm
    Feb 17, 2018, 12.00 pm
    Hi

I am planning to do the NC500 W/Comm Sunday 20th May my route is from my home in the North West UK to Inverness over night stop ,then on the Monday travel to Applecross, Gairloch then overnight in Ullopool from there next morning take a trip to Lairg then back out onto the route to head north to Durness  onto overnight stop at Dunnet the other side of Thurso.

From there to John O Groats Wick then head down to Loch Ness and over night at Roybridge, next day Fort William home via Rannoch Moor .

So that's my plan any one interested in coming along I can then pass on  my hotel details if needed be a shame to do this on my own but hey that's life.

• Offline RiFAS

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    7

Offline RiFAS

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Bike: 14 CT Highlander
    • City / Town: Hampshire
    Re: NC 500
    Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2018, 06.39 pm
    Feb 17, 2018, 06.39 pm
    Intending to do the NC500 late April/early May.

Will be going anti-clockwise and most likely camping.

Be aware that the Bealach na Ba could be closed when you go for several weeks. This from NC500 Facebook page and SSE:

“Works are scheduled to start from the 9th of April as requested by the local community and this avoids the Easter Break and then the times for the closure will be:
    •         Gates close and manned at both sides 09:00
    •         Gates open 16:00
    •         Gates close and manned at both sides 17:30
    •         Gates open 23:00 and route accessible
    Staff will be at the bottom of the hill at each side with Radios to allow Emergency Vehicles (Ambulance/Fire/Police). And locals who we understand have in times past driven to hospital in an emergency rather than wait for the Ambulance. We will be able to allow these vehicles through during the closure.

The road will be open at the weekend but SSE will still be working on sections and this will be controlled by the use of stop and go traffic management.”
    2014 Crosstourer Highlander
    2017 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited

• Offline pistnbroke   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1572

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: crosstourer
    • City / Town: Irby
    Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2018, 06.57 pm
    Feb 17, 2018, 06.57 pm
    falkland bomber, i'd love to join you but its right smack bang in the middle of my 2 ride holidays this year.
    1st World Crosstourer ride in April and then in June, a trip to the Euro Lambretta festival in Spain, when i ride through France and into Spain over a 2 week period.

Enjoy the ride you and all who accompany you.

Good riding.
      :028: :031:
    keep it shiny side up !!!

• Offline falkland bomber

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    41
    • Topic Author

Offline falkland bomber

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2018, 07.46 pm
    Feb 17, 2018, 07.46 pm
    Hi

Thanks for the heads up on the road closures this could put a very large wrinkle in my plans ime using this opportunity to get some long distance rides in ahead of me doing the iron butt on the 16June. Enjoy the trip to Spain and France ime envious but I will get there eventually my budget has gone on my new bike . : :028:

• Offline harmony

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    231

Offline harmony

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2018, 01.33 pm
    Feb 18, 2018, 01.33 pm
    I'm going to give you a couple of suggestions from my trip last year.

Try to do the A894 north from Kylesku right up through Scourie to Durness.  Then Durness round Lock Eriboll and along the top coast.

The route from Drumrunie to Altandhu then up through Inverkirkaig to Clashnessie and out to Scourie Bay is OUTSTANDING.  Be prepared for a long day on that one.  Nothing can prepare you for the view you get as you drop over the mountains into Altandhu. 

Also, if you're going to Applecross, make sure you come out round the coast road.  Don't miss that one.

:001:
    deadmeercats

• Offline falkland bomber

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    41
    • Topic Author

Offline falkland bomber

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2018, 08.40 pm
    Feb 18, 2018, 08.40 pm
    Hi Harmony

Having spent all day organising the routes the route to Altandhu wasn't on my radar I am planning to take the route from Ullapool to Lairg though I am planning to do the northern route you mentioned but this new one does look interesting I will see if I have room in my itinerary and yes I will be taking the coastal route from Aplecross to Shieldag then on to Gairloch then over night in Ullapool.

• Offline Jono49

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    118

Offline Jono49

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 2012 DCT
    Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2018, 11.01 pm
    Feb 18, 2018, 11.01 pm
    FB enjoy your trip up the Highlands  :028:........Notice I didn't mention NC500!!! And I refuse to acknowledge it's existence  :230: it was the creation of the Tourism Project Board of the North Highland Initiative! A bunch of muppets who claim they want to attract visitors to this part of the Highlands...There's nothing there!!!!!!!!!!! but hundreds of miles of unspoiled roads and wild remote countryside ideal for bikers and I have lot's of happy memories riding up there with shell grip on every corner it's biking heaven  :305: Or was.......because it's well and truly knackered now, Because it's attracted everybody from the portapotty gang ( Thats Motorhomes to you) to the Hot hatch reverse basball cap crew who apparently try to set a lap record round it!
    When in Ireland at some road racing last year I got talking to a Biker from up there and he say's it's a joke, the roads are jammed on the single carriagway parts, accomodation has to be booked a year ahead nearly, the road manners are atrocious, ( I experiensed the same on Skye last year) And the landlady at Glenelg where we stopped the highland hoteliers are in crisis with the lack of accomodation and screaming at these tourism people to stop the madness and stop creating these events with total disregard for the local population and the wildlife with lack of infrastructure to handle these numbers of people and there vehicles!
    Iv'e already banned myself from the lakedistrict with it's 15,800,000 visitors every year, and I only live an hour away, the final straw was 2 years ago in October gridlocked in one of the smaller villages near Buttermere.....It was English schools half term and we forgot this when we organised the rideout  :157:
    The highlands I fear will turn this way as these people will not halt on there crusade to pollute our roads with sightseers just like the Lakedistrict, and the latest news nearer me is the proposal to make the Galloway forest a "National Park" modelled on the "Lakedistrict National Park" they have taken control of every area of natural beauty in Britain and ruined it for bikers,
    I'm sorry to be a prophet of doom......but the trigger word was "NC500"  :232:

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08.02 am
    Feb 19, 2018, 08.02 am
    I’ve heard similar things about the route now. I did it a few years ago before it had its new name. Did one stint of around 80 miles and didn’t see another vehicle ( other than a Tornado beating up one of the valleys which was awesome)  that was one of the best couple of days riding I’ve ever had.