Author Topic: 10w-30 or 10w-40 engine oil ???????  (Read 16947 times)

Offline zphenyl

• Crosstourer Member
Re: 10w-30 or 10w-40 engine oil ???????
Reply #88 on: November 01, 2019, 09:06:02 PM
*Originally Posted by Big_John [+]

Remember, I am using a blend of Rotella T4 15w40 Conventional and Rotella T6 15w40 Synthetic.  I've explained that I simply prefer semi-sythetic over straight synthetic.  I believe the semi-syn shears less quickly.

Anyway, I now have over 3,000 miles on the current fill and everything is spectacular and smooth.  I have a trip to Texas coming up and I will keep the oil in it... putting another 2k miles on the oil to total 5,000....  I expect it to be fine.

John, thanks for the update. Let us know your thoughts after the Texas trip. 

Offline 5 speed

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #89 on: November 02, 2019, 12:31:19 PM
I am getting used to my CT tranny now and running mobil one 4T my experiences have been good.
I was spoiled by my KTM 950 tranny; of 50 bikes it was the best ever.  But I have reconciled with the CT and its ok.  The mobil 1 is cheap enough that I dont mind it. 

Offline zphenyl

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #90 on: November 02, 2019, 03:30:36 PM
*Originally Posted by 5 speed [+]
I am getting used to my CT tranny now and running mobil one 4T my experiences have been good.
I was spoiled by my KTM 950 tranny; of 50 bikes it was the best ever.  But I have reconciled with the CT and its ok.  The mobil 1 is cheap enough that I dont mind it.

5speed, I should probably give Mobil 1 4T a try at some point for a comparison test.  So far I've ran Rotella T6 5W-40, Rotella 4T 10w-30, and most recently Mobil 1 15w-50.  Out of all of them the Mobil 1 15w-50 has been the best. I've ran the 15w-50 in my previous two bikes (2012 Super Tenere and 2003 FZ1) with good results. Temps are usually in mid to upper 90s (F) with high humidity during the summer in VA so any oil gets thrashed hard.

Offline 5 speed

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #91 on: November 03, 2019, 11:21:35 PM
I would.  I have run Maxima products for years and the Mobil 1 has proved to be good

Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Castle Rock, CO
Reply #92 on: February 22, 2020, 02:50:24 PM
*Originally Posted by Grabcon [+]
So I have ridden about 16000 miles and have used the the Honda GN4 10W30. At about 3000 miles I find the shifting gets noisy and the smoothness goes away. Here where I live it has been very hot, 90 plus most days in August.

Yesterday I changed oil and put in the Rotella T6 15W40. Now I will say that the first 50 miles there was a noticeable difference in shifting and quietness. Could be just new oil so we shall see. I am heading on a 1500 mile weekend trip next week so maybe by the time I get back I will have a better opinion.

Quoting myself here, but I just change the Rotella T6 15w40 after 5000 miles. A little longer than I wanted to go but all seems fine. So I can say that this is my new go to oil for this bike. I have been in a broad temp range from high 90s to high 30s and have experienced nothing but good.

So a couple of things I got the same amount of oil out as I put in, this is good, but I also had the same result with the Honda GN4, I experienced no issues with clutch slippage or any clutch operation and lastly with shifting there was a significant difference over the Honda oil especially after 3000 miles. From the time I changed to the T6 to the time I changed it out after 5000 miles shifting was smooth and quiet and no noticeable difference in operation at the time of oil change.

So I am sold on this oil and what is really nice since my wife and I are full time RVers as well I can get this oil at any Walmart. This availability of oil allows me to change my oil as needed on the road, as I just did in the middle of Death Valley.
In The Barn
2016 VFR1200X - Mine, 2016 BMW F700GS - The wife's bike, Brad

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: PacNW
Reply #93 on: February 22, 2020, 04:11:56 PM
*Originally Posted by Grabcon [+]
Quoting myself here, but I just change the Rotella T6 15w40 after 5000 miles. A little longer than I wanted to go but all seems fine. So I can say that this is my new go to oil for this bike. I have been in a broad temp range from high 90s to high 30s and have experienced nothing but good.

So a couple of things I got the same amount of oil out as I put in, this is good, but I also had the same result with the Honda GN4, I experienced no issues with clutch slippage or any clutch operation and lastly with shifting there was a significant difference over the Honda oil especially after 3000 miles. From the time I changed to the T6 to the time I changed it out after 5000 miles shifting was smooth and quiet and no noticeable difference in operation at the time of oil change.

So I am sold on this oil and what is really nice since my wife and I are full time RVers as well I can get this oil at any Walmart. This availability of oil allows me to change my oil as needed on the road, as I just did in the middle of Death Valley.

Bravo!  I'm sold as well and have several gallons of it stored in my garage now at all times.  Great stuff.

Offline Kenbeau62

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #94 on: February 23, 2020, 11:23:10 AM
Don't you just love reading about all the different experiences with oil variences??  Just to add my first hand experience of this subject I changed the oil & filter within a week of purchasing my 2012 Crosstourer with Castrol GP1 10w 40 Semi Synthetic even though I read owners manual that came with bike & it said 10w 30?? had trouble finding that weight of oil at first & thought well it can't make that big  a difference OOPS WRONG  gear changes seemed ok at first but after about 4000ks got bloody notchy I just put it down to the bike itself. So next oil change decided to put Penrite 10w 40 Full Synthetic in BIG MISTAKE within 700ks near impossible to get gears to engage when oil was hot ??? Thought to myself this can't be right but will try something else Ended up getting some 10w 30 Penrite Semi Synthetic after speaking with an old mechanic Guess What no issues with gear changes at all shifts clean & smooth so have learnt from this  mistake I wouldn't have thought the minor differences would make such a huge difference but it did. Lesson Learnt from this .  Kenbeau62.

Offline Showkey

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #95 on: February 23, 2020, 01:48:23 PM
On an oil related note..........all the forums or all kinds, ( bikes, car, trucks)are always discussing oil.

Still would like to see a Double blind test with 10-20 identical bikes with 10 different oils. Thick or thin, synthetic or Dino or blend..........
 How many riders could correctly identify the bikes by the type of oil used ??????????

Correctly vs random luck is for statistics guys to determine.