Author Topic: Help me buy a VFR1200X Crosstourer!  (Read 8846 times)

• Offline paulcb

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    11
    • Topic Author

Offline paulcb

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: '01 ST1100 ABSII
    • City / Town: Celina, Texas
    Help me buy a VFR1200X Crosstourer!
    on: Feb 01, 2018, 07.53 pm
    Feb 01, 2018, 07.53 pm
    Hello all, new guy from Texas here.  I currently ride a 2001 Honda ST1100 (Pan European) about 25k miles per year.  I'm strongly considering the CT as a replacement or 2nd bike, likely the DCT model.  Like I do with my Pan, I plan to use it for commuting, LD touring, motocamping and maybe a little light off-roading.  My other option is likely the S10.

I hope to gather info in this thread to point me in the right direction.  I'll start with a few questions...

1. What's the alternator output (watts or amps)?
    2. Does it come stock with LED lighting?
    3. Can the TC be turned off?
    4. How's the stock seat for all day riding?
    5. Anyone use it for 2-up riding?
    6. Any reported out-of-the-box issues?

TIA for your help!

-Paul

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Re: Help me buy a VFR1200X Crosstourer!
    Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2018, 08.21 pm
    Feb 01, 2018, 08.21 pm
    Hi Paul and  :400:

I'll tray and answer as many of the questions as i can.

1, no idea  (not a good start)
    2, No it doesnt, poor show by Honda.
    3, The later bikes have a 3 stage traction control and it can be switched off.
    4, Some get on fine with the seat, others not so. Was improved around 2014. Seat on my current bike does feel different to my first CT
    5, Most of the time i ride solo but i do tour every year 2 up. I actually think the CT comes into its own when touring, it just eats the miles.
    6, Very few issues, only one id say ive seen come up a few times is the rear preload adjuster seizing though i think that may have been sorted now.

• Offline curlynot   gb

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    50

Offline curlynot

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
    • City / Town: Nr Kings Lynn
    Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2018, 06.34 am
    Feb 02, 2018, 06.34 am
    Hi Paul

1= I think I remember seeing it somewhere as 720W
    5= I occasionally use mine two up and feel it rides and handles better then, altho its heavy!
    6= There was the driveshaft recall, but that should be all done ages ago now.

Have a search on here for highest mileages etc as one bloke has done over 350,000Km and I think the only problems he had had apart from servicing were a water pump and numerous front wheel bearings.

Regards

• Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    488

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Warrington
    Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2018, 06.52 am
    Feb 02, 2018, 06.52 am
    Hi Paul,

1. I think 720 is correct but I've used satnav, Oxford heated grips, Gerbing heated gloves and jacket simultaneously with no issues
    4. I'm on my second CT (this ones a DCT) and as Hartley says the later seat is better, but I've done long days (500 miles) on both with no problems
    5. Two up riding no problem at all. Only issue could be mounting and dismounting due to height, depends how tall and agile your pillion is. My wife has no problem with my CT including European tours, but my other bike is also an ST1100 and that's far easier.
    6. As the others say, pre load adjuster and driveshaft recall. I've had no problem with either of those myself.

IMO, the CT is a high quality, durable bike by today's standards. Not as many gadgets and gizmos than the competition but it doesn't break! Sounds like for your needs, especially with DCT which is superb, it would be a good next bike for you.

Stu

• Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    127

Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2018, 07.14 am
    Feb 02, 2018, 07.14 am
    Greetings Paulcb,

I used to have a ST1300, loved that bike and did some serious miles on it.  I've never ridden the ST1100, but I'm sure its similar to the ST13.
    You are in USA, so you would get the latest (current) version of the VFR-X (2016 and onwards)
    In many ways and for me, the CT is exactly what I wanted when I was touring on my ST1300, 100lbs less weight, better ground clearance and dirt/gravel road capability, and I did not know it, the DCT tranny is a logical step for bikes meant for distance (thats why a 7 speed DCT is available for the new GoldWing, its that good, and makes sense)

To answer your questions:

1.  I don't know what the alternator output is... sorry can't help you there.
    2.  All lights, except the headlight are LED, too bad as it would be nice to have a LED headlight.  ST1300 headlight, FAR Superior..... (for serious night time riding, you'll want a light-bar)
    3.  Yes, TC can be switched off easily (and while riding).  Plus 3 levels of TC available.
    4.  For me, the stock seat SUCKS!  ST1300 stock seat, all day seat, CT nope...  But, lots of good seats available for the CT, or mod the oem.
    5.  Hate double riding, so I don't do it.  Don't know if the CT is good at it.
    6.  No issues for the 16+ CT available to you.  No recalls.

Hope this helps

Tazmool

• Offline paulcb

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    11
    • Topic Author

Offline paulcb

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: '01 ST1100 ABSII
    • City / Town: Celina, Texas
    Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2018, 03.22 pm
    Feb 02, 2018, 03.22 pm
    Thank you all, very helpful info and very much appreciated.  So much of a motorcycle purchase is the riding experience but much is also just checking the boxes. 

A few more questions...

7. So, all the lights, except the headlight, are LED?  It looks as if some have had success in putting an LED in the headlight(s)?  I'm guessing it's a clearance problem?  I put LED headlights in my ST1100 and it made a huge difference, both night and day.  They were pretty much PnP.

8. I found a tire combination for my ST11 that gets me about 20k miles (30k kms) per tire.  Anything close to that for the CT?

9. Are there any non-OEM options for panniers made for the CT?

10. For current/former Pan riders, how does the V4 compare between the two?

I was going to ask about slow speed operation with the DCT (i.e. no clutch slip), but from what I've read, this doesn't seem to be an issue.  I've spent some time riding the S10 (really liked it but the motor sounds like a bucket of bolts at idle), but have never even seen the CT.  Plan to see and sit on one tomorrow at the Dallas motorcycle show.  So far, I've not read any negative reviews for the CT... I guess they're that good, for what they are.

• Offline Lesley

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    5

Offline Lesley

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Bike: 2015
    • City / Town: Assen
    Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2018, 04.37 pm
    Feb 02, 2018, 04.37 pm
    Hi Paul,

I’ ve driven a st1300 for 5 years and 30.000 km.

7. Yes all light except the headlight are LED. As far as I noticed it does not have a canbus, so putting up led headlight should not give you troubles.

8. Difficult to say. The CT has 30 Horsepower more then the st1100. When using them you will not make 30k kms. My stock battlewings will last to approx 14 k kms. They are not good at the wet, so I will get a better replacement.

9. Yes there are. Givi, SW motech, Touratech and probably some more.

10. Compared to the st1300, the sound is better(more). There is more torque at the low end and less power at the top end. For me that makes sense, it is no sportsbike.

Good luck finding one!

• Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    127

Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2018, 05.57 pm
    Feb 02, 2018, 05.57 pm
    7.  Owners on here have done the LED conversion, I'm interested in doing this myself, but don't know how difficult it is.  I'm interested in reliability as well and from what I can tell, an LED swap requires you to lose the rear weather cap? 

8.  Thats a good question, maybe one of the European members can help as the bike has been out there for much longer than on this side of the pond.  So far, the OEM tires look to last about 14,000-15,000km (same as Lesley mentioned)

9.  Quite a few luggage options.  Personally I'm running the smallest Givi bags and a custom fitted Corbin smuggler trunk (loved the smuggler on my ST1300)  For long distance I'll most likely go with OEM Honda side bags.  For ultra rugged, you can go with any number of ADV bags, no lack of options there.

10.  Engine wise the CT was a big surprise for me.  I was expecting turbine smooth v-4 just like my ST1300 was, but instead I got a very rowdy, torquey engine that growls.  Vs the 1300 I would say the CT has more power down low and midrange, and less on top.  The st1300 was definitely faster top-end (but mine also had the Pan-Weave).  The CT does growl, literally, there is a engine vibration at low and mid-range throttle, really feels like the engine is saying "GRRRRRR!!!" that smooths out into butter smooth while you are cruising, so it has a lot of "character"  (on the throttle, GRRRR!! cruising, butter smooth) There are no "bad" engine vibrations and its a great all-around engine. 

I have test ridden the Super Tenere ES, and was very impressed with the motorcycle, but not its engine.  Not that the S10 engine is bad, its torquey, but runs out of power very quickly and red-lines very low at 7200rpm.  Maybe I'm just not a parallel twin type of guy, and my previous motorcycle was a B-King, so everything feels slow in comparison.  I took my CT to the drag-strip and was not impressed, but it was still a fun day.

If you get a chance, I also encourage to take a test ride on the CT, especially if you get a chance to try the DCT version.  The VFR has a special engine-tranny combo with the DCT.  Coming from traditional motorcycles (ie manual trannies) the DCT seems like an odd-idea on paper, but in practice its a fantastic application of fine engineering.  I'm sure manual tranny is just fine though.

Coming off the ST1100/1300 I think you will be very happy with the CT, its a very natural step forward and opens up roads that would have been impossible before (gravel/dirt)

Tazmool

arab-exile