Author Topic: Solution for poor heated grips?  (Read 11413 times)

• Offline navigator1946   gb

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    169
    • Topic Author

Offline navigator1946

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
    • City / Town: Hornsea, E.Yorks
    Solution for poor heated grips?
    on: Jan 12, 2018, 05.42 pm
    Jan 12, 2018, 05.42 pm
    I took my CT Highlander to my local Honda dealer for them to look at the heated grips which were performing very poorly. There was a little heat on No5 setting only. Having checked the grips, they told me that Honda now have a modified module available to improve the performance of the grips. One has been ordered for my machine and it will be fitted under warranty when it arrives. Thought you guys ought to know.
    Just love my HONDA Crosstourer dct, and my manual TDM900.

• Offline VfuRry   gb

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    219

Offline VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200XDH
    • City / Town: Ashbourne
    Re: Solution for poor heated grips?
    Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2018, 06.23 pm
    Jan 12, 2018, 06.23 pm
    Thank you - very interesting.

I'll be talking to my dealer soon (bike is just less than 6 months old).

I asked them to check my grips at the first service and, surprise surprise, they found that they were working within spec. (I don't know how they would've established that; maybe they stuck a thermometer on the grip or something).

• Offline Tc

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    67

Offline Tc

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: CT,GSA,K1600gtl
    • City / Town: Oswestry Wales
    Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2018, 07.38 pm
    Jan 12, 2018, 07.38 pm
    Mine have given up the ghost (12plate) and my dealer said don't waste time on the Honda ones fit Oxford and be nice and toasty.

• Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    592

Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master
    • City / Town: East Sussex
    Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2018, 07.48 pm
    Jan 12, 2018, 07.48 pm
    *Originally Posted by Tc [+]
    Mine have given up the ghost (12plate) and my dealer said don't waste time on the Honda ones fit Oxford and be nice and toasty.

Is yours the 3 setting ones? Not had a problem with mine which was part of the adventure pack

Question for those with the 5 setting ones........is this the neat little switch by the bar grip as the 3 way, or a bolt on panel to the bars with a button?........I have a five way on the blood Pan and on the rare times I use them I have to put  tape over the LEDS as just too bright at night.

• Offline superduper

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    140

Offline superduper

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09.05 pm
    Jan 12, 2018, 09.05 pm
    Mate of mine has the 5 setting one on his new AT, took it back to Honda November (as the grips are pants)

Honda said they will fit the new module, which they did,
    outcome exactly the same, you cannot feel them getting warm unless muffs are fitted.

Anyway last month we went into Honda in Linc's, as my mates now after a CT,

told the manager about the issue who said " you can put as many control modules on as you want, Honda now know its not a module issue but the ECU not allowing them to heat up,, but its not faulty :027:
    Honda have said they get warm enough for purpose, but as a goodwill gesture, we have offered our customers that want hotter grips the option of oxford hotgrips fitted FOC as a goodwill gesture" not an admission of fault"?????

my mates very disappointed with the ones on his AT as he has the 3 setting ones on his VFR1200F and they are fantastic, and expected the AT ones to be the same,

I have been over snake pass on his 1200F when it was 2 deg, they were toasting

• Offline paulw64

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    26

Offline paulw64

• Crosstourer Member
    Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09.52 pm
    Jan 12, 2018, 09.52 pm
    My experiences on the 5 stage heated grips saga.
    After contacting Honda UK about the 'not fit for purpose' heated grips on my 17 plate CT DCT Highlander I was pointed in the direction of my local dealer, Lloyd Honda Carlisle who had my bike for a few hours earlier this week.
    They measured the temperature the grips were heating up too and compared to 4 other heated grips they had in the dealership. Mine, on a July 17 CT Highlander, heated to about 32 C on setting 5 the highest. They then tried a new VFR 800 with the same 5 stage grips, 29C, then a VFR 1200 F with the old 3 stage which went to 47C. They had a used bike in there with oxford grips 52C and finally tried a new BMW GS 1200 at 57C.
    So, a worthwhile test and they are going to feed this back to Honda. Just wait and see what Honda do? The more people with ‘not fit for purpose grips’ that complain, the more likely a resolution from Honda.

• Offline Fat Bert   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    834

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
    • City / Town: Tenby
    Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2018, 11.41 am
    Jan 13, 2018, 11.41 am
    *Originally Posted by Tc [+]

Of course they would say that!

They make zero profit on Honda parts but a huge %margin on Oxford stuff

The OEM grips are a neat little switch - unobtrusive and out the way - the Oxford ones look aweful with a big box on the handlebars

My Honda 3 stage ones work fine - never too hot to touch but just right in most conditions

When I was looking around dealers to buy a CT I would immediately click away from any bike with "aftermarket" controls on it!
    "Team Fat Bert" Racing

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2018, 12.48 pm
    Jan 13, 2018, 12.48 pm
    I agree that installation of the Honda Grips is good.
    The switch is neatly integrated and easy to use, it’s just a shame that pressing the bl00dy thing makes very little difference. :164:

Oxford grips are far superior for heat and the grips are are a bit wider just wish that could make a better looking controller.

arab-exile