Author Topic: Hilltop Motorcycles ECU Reflash post-in service GROUP BUY  (Read 4578 times)

• Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    625
    • Topic Author

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
    • City / Town: PacNW
    Hilltop Motorcycles ECU Reflash post-in service GROUP BUY
    on: Jan 06, 2018, 06.07 pm
    Jan 06, 2018, 06.07 pm
    Hi CT members.  I am the U.S. owner of a 2016 VFR1200X (NA model CT) who is interested in professionally reflashing my ECU in an attempt to unleash the engine's full potential and increase fuel economy and smoothness and decrease engine heat.  I understand the reflash gets the engine to the way the original design engineer intended by addressing such things as the choked emissions, lean fueling and retarded ignition timing that the bikes is sold with in the name of appeasing environmental regulations.  Through my research here and on other forums it appears that Hilltop Moto in Hinckley, UK is the preeminent shop for tuning on this bike.

In another thread there was discussion about a possible group buy to lower costs and I volunteered to reach out to Hilltop to get the details.  I'm pleased to report now that I have heard back from Mark at Hilltop and their offer is as such:

"Normally we charge £300 plus return postage per ECU, but if you send us a minimum of 5 ECUs at once we'll do it for £250 including return postage."

Are there at least four more forum members here who would join me in sending in their ECU's to get the reduced rate?  This is for post-in service but if you live close enough to Hilltop and want your bike dyno-ran before and after you could contact Mark and inquire about possibly being a part of the group buy but bringing the ECU in directly.  I didn't inquire into that.  Probably cleaner if I can just get a group together who wants to mail their parts in and back but let's see what the interest is.

If this sounds good please reply here and we'll see if we have a group.  If at least four other members are interested I will contact Mark and provide the names and we'll confirm here before proceeding.  If we get to it, the shipping instructions are listed below as sent directly from Hilltop.   

Sending your ECU in by post:
    Because of the self-learning nature of our software, we can achieve the same results with an ECU
    posted in to us as we can with a bike that visits our premises. The post in option offers a convenient
    alternative if you’re located too far away to make a visit a practical proposition, and it costs less too.
    The only downside is that you won’t get your before and after dyno graphs to show off, but your
    ‘bottom dyno’ will still let you feel the changes!  If you want to send your ECU in by post, follow the directions outlined below:

Disconnect the battery before removing your ECU. Pack and send it to:

HT Motorcycles
    Unit 11a Newton Road
    Harrowbrook Industrial Estate
    Hinckley
    LE10 3DS
    England

It is a wise precaution to ensure that your ‘From’ address is clearly displayed on the package so that
    it can be returned to you if it doesn’t make it to us. Also put your address inside the package.
    If you are required to complete customs information you must put that the package contains parts
    for repair and has zero import value, or we will be charged taxes as though we are importing the
    parts to keep for ourselves. If we do receive and import tax bill then you will need to either get it
    cancelled for us or pay it. We will not release the ECU with a customs bill outstanding
    We endeavour to get your ECU turned around and back in the post to you in one working day
    wherever possible. We will also send you a set of instructions for reinstalling your ECU. Please follow
    these carefully.

Payment by PayPal is preferred as it is simple and instant, although we can take payment by debit
    card. The price will be £300 plus the cost of whatever return postage option you choose (£250 in this group buy and FREE return post.)

Please send PayPal payments to geoffwhale.gw@googlemail.com. If you could make the payment as a gift then we will avoid their
    steep fees. Thank you.

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Re: Hilltop Motorcycles ECU Reflash post-in service GROUP BUY
    Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2018, 06.37 am
    Jan 07, 2018, 06.37 am
    Did they say if they’d done this work before on a CT?  If so what sort of improvement did they make?
    I’ll confess, I’m not interested in having the work done to my bike as I’m happy with it the way it is, just curious.

• Offline VfuRry   gb

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    219

Offline VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200XDH
    • City / Town: Ashbourne
    Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2018, 09.30 am
    Jan 07, 2018, 09.30 am
    *Originally Posted by Hartley [+]
    Did they say if they’d done this work before on a CT?  If so what sort of improvement did they make?
    I’ll confess, I’m not interested in having the work done to my bike as I’m happy with it the way it is, just curious.

There are several threads about this; this is the latest (and my post replies to yours above):

https://www.crosstourer.com/index.php?topic=6454.msg64850#msg64850
    Last Edit: Jan 07, 2018, 09.35 am by VfuRry

• Offline wack

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    267

Offline wack

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Ollerton
    Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2018, 06.12 pm
    Jan 07, 2018, 06.12 pm
    Hello DEMBONES et al,

I would be very interested to hear from a/some CT owner/s that have had this done. Do you think your contact at Hilltop Moto would be prepared to provide the contact details of some previous CT customers (or email address etc.) ?

Bye for now.

Wack

• Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1545

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1000
    • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
    Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2018, 06.44 pm
    Jan 07, 2018, 06.44 pm
    I know of a few AT owners that have done this through Hilltop, all seem pleased with his work

Ian  :305:

PS. "interested"

• Offline Tc

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    67

Offline Tc

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: CT,GSA,K1600gtl
    • City / Town: Oswestry Wales
    Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2018, 07.41 pm
    Jan 07, 2018, 07.41 pm
    I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference to the ct or at apart from making it smoother, they only use the spare storage in the ecu it's not a flash or re- chip.

One of the bikes it makes a real difference to is the gs with the boxer twin cam engine. This engine to all intense and purpose was the mule for the LC so is very under stressed  There is a noticeable difference in power torque and smoothness.

£300 is a lot of money for perceived power.

• Offline DEMBONES

• Topic Author

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2018, 01.20 am
    Jan 08, 2018, 01.20 am
    *Originally Posted by wack [+]
    Hello DEMBONES et al,

I would be very interested to hear from a/some CT owner/s that have had this done. Do you think your contact at Hilltop Moto would be prepared to provide the contact details of some previous CT customers (or email address etc.) ?

Bye for now.

Wack

Absolutely. Mark or Geoff are the proprietors.  Mark has been my contact and sounds familiar and confident with the CT.

• Offline DEMBONES

• Topic Author

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2018, 01.22 am
    Jan 08, 2018, 01.22 am
    *Originally Posted by scotsy [+]
    I know of a few AT owners that have done this through Hilltop, all seem pleased with his work

Ian  :305:

PS. "interested"

That's one.   :152:   Need at least three more.

arab-exile