Author Topic: DCT opinions?  (Read 7548 times)

• Offline 2shea

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    87
    • Topic Author

Offline 2shea

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    DCT opinions?
    on: Dec 27, 2017, 06.19 pm
    Dec 27, 2017, 06.19 pm
    So has anybody gone from manual to DCT and wouldn't go back to a manual again or tried for a while and then went back to Manual?

I actually got a chance to try out a DCT crosstourer at motorcycle live back in November and by the end of the ride I was really starting to like it. Didn't find slow speed maneuvers an issue like I thought they might be. But I didn't like the way it changed gear in the middle of me leaning around a round about.

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Re: DCT opinions?
    Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2017, 07.19 pm
    Dec 27, 2017, 07.19 pm
    Very interesting reading your post.
    When i first looked at buying a CT i test rode manual and DCT, One thing that put me off was it changing gear whilst going around a roundabout. That and fear of the unknown made me choose a manual which i owned for 3 years and 21000 miles.
    When the time come to change i test rode the DCT again, with more confidence from folks on here who had one and i knew the CT well so it was purely the DCT i was trying.

I took delivery of my DCT last December and its sitting in the garage with 10500 miles on it. I love it, for me its the DCT that puts it infront of the opposition. Its not fautless, gear changing when your not expecting it as you say but id guess you were in "D" mode which does change up too early in my opinion. I find sport generally better (16 models onwards have 3 sport modes) Mines a 15 bike registered 16.
    As you get used to it you get to know how to get the best out of it and use its functions.

if i were buying again...................DCT all day long.

Highly recommend the DCT.

• Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    488

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
    • City / Town: Warrington
    Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2017, 08.47 pm
    Dec 27, 2017, 08.47 pm
     :0461: with Hartley. Exactly the same experience; I owned a manual for two ish years, 10 k miles and switched to DCT 18 months ago. Really pleased with my manual CT, but super impressed with the DCT.

I went through exactly the same process and have no regrets.

Stu

• Offline navigator1946   gb

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    169

Offline navigator1946

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
    • City / Town: Hornsea, E.Yorks
    Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2017, 10.52 am
    Dec 28, 2017, 10.52 am
    For me, the dct was my reason for choosing the CT. Like Hartley, mine is a 2015 registered in 2016 by Honda UK. The Sport mode changes gear just as I would when riding a manual, which is just perfect for me. I find the D mode very vibby, but recently found that this goes when using a light throttle.
    Just love my HONDA Crosstourer dct, and my manual TDM900.

• Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    488

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
    • City / Town: Warrington
    Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2017, 11.35 am
    Dec 28, 2017, 11.35 am
    I'm on a 2015 silver over black model with the single Sport mode option. I guess I would use one of the less aggressive sport modes of the 2016 version if I had them, but for the majority of the time I find the D mode fine with regular manual overrides to change down for the right gear into a corner / bend or for overtakes etc. It's become quite intuitive now and very easy to ride smoothly; the experience of riding the DCT is much more relaxing and affords more time to think about hazard management, fractions of seconds, but actually makes a big difference.

The only Achilles heel with the DCT for me is the slow speed manoeuvring. Takes a little getting used to, and is never going to be as controlled as slipping the clutch and small amounts of back brake, but it's very doable and soon becomes comfortable and safe.

As I've said on here before, we all get itchy feet from time to time, grass is always greener and all that, but a number of test rides later, I always conclude that my CT gives me everything I want from a bike.

All the best to you all; roll on the spring and unsalted roads.

Stu

• Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    610

Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master
    Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2017, 12.58 pm
    Dec 28, 2017, 12.58 pm
    Started with a manual, now on my 2nd DCT (2015) would go back, use Sport or M on the bendy/hilly stuff & in town, D on dual carriageways/motorways, no problems with the slow speed stuff. The DCT is the main factor in keeping the bike, though not entirely adverse to a manual, as I've just bought a KTM1290 GT as well!

• Offline Dave56   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1794

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Grantham
    Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2017, 02.21 pm
    Dec 28, 2017, 02.21 pm
    I came across the CT by accident really as me and the wife called into Grantham Honda for a brew on our way back from a shopping trip in the car and a couple pulled into the car park CT mounted just as we were talking about the lack of pillion comfort of our Yamaha S10.
    After speaking at length to the CT couple a test ride was booked on a manual CT despite the salesman pleading with me to try the DCT and me, through nothing more than stubbornness insisting “what do I want with a bloody automatic”. A test ride was booked and when completed and after securing a great deal I immediately placed an order for a brand new CT Highlander.
    That was back in 2013. What followed was three and half years and 17,000 miles of brilliant and joyous ownership during which time while having an annual service and starting to suffer with cramping in the wrists I eventually relented and tried the DCT version, what a revelation after which I immediately began a search for one.
    I am now the very happy owner of a silver and Black 2015 DCT Highlander, love it and can’t wait for spring.
    Would I go back to manual, not a chance, the DCT system is so intuitive and seamless.
    "The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

• Offline Jono49

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    118

Offline Jono49

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 2012 DCT
    Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2017, 10.58 pm
    Dec 28, 2017, 10.58 pm
    I love my DCT (2012 Highlander) but for the love of me I cannot see the point of "D" mode I hate it, If the dealer could eliminate it in the software and make it go straight to sports I'd be a happy bunny!  :028: