Author Topic: Weight loss project ....  (Read 3399 times)

• Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    127
    • Topic Author

Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    Weight loss project ....
    on: Dec 17, 2017, 04.20 pm
    Dec 17, 2017, 04.20 pm
    Greetings everyone,

I decided to post info regarding a year long project I've been working on.
    The purpose of the post is to share my findings, its not meant as advice, or to convince anyone of anything, but just for your information only.  I will elaborate on this within the post.

In January of 2017 I decided that it was high time to tackle my life long struggle with weight control as I've been up and down the scale (pun intended :038: )

With the end of the 2017 year approaching, I've had some time to reflect on my project and I'll try to summarize as briefly and succinctly as I can.  (although re-reading the post, its still long)

At the end of 2016 a close friend of mine who works in the medical field had introduced me to a eating practice called "Intermittent Fasting" also referred to as "IF"
    It basically means you eat for a specified amount of time during the day, and then eat absolutely nothing for the rest of the day.  He had practiced the 18-6 method, which means you eat your entire day's meals within 6 hours, and for 18 hours you take in no calories.  You can have diet (zero sugar, zero calorie) drinks, black coffee, water etc.  But no food, no calories.

I needed more info on this so I started to search all over the internet (google, youtube, TedTalks) and found a whole community of medical professionals, medical researchers, and regular people who support, promote and use this method of eating.  It is used as a method of controlling and treating certain types of diabetes and insulin problems, a whole host of other medical conditions, as well as a method of weight control.  Its also said to have a whole host of other health benefits, everything from improved immune system response, reducing inflammation, reducing allergies, improving mental clarity and energy etc.

The reason this style of eating "should" work is that for a long time during human history people did not have such abundant access to food, no technology to store food in any way, if food was abundant, and once you found food, you ate it, then went about your day preparing for and doing other things.  The body would respond and adapt to this so that you could eat during a feast, and then survive and thrive during the fast, and contrary to today's common belief, instead of shutting down and/or slowing down during the fast, the opposite actually needs to happen, the body has to rev-up, your mind clear up as you can't have your head in a fog and be tired if you're searching, planning, hunting for your (and your families) next meal, so this is exactly what needs to happen (the revving up of the body and mind).

After hours of youtube videos by different doctors (including some from Toronto Ontario Canada, not far from where I live, which brought the point a bit closer to home) reading other posts and other research into this and related fields, I was convinced that this idea has merit and is worth trying. 
    I will also ad, that this is not a "diet"
    A diet is something you plan out, start, do, then finish. 
    This is not it.
    This is a way of eating, for life. 

The start was a bit rough, I "fell off the wagon" a bunch of times, did more research, and started back up again.
    Fast forward a few months, I decided that the 23-1 was the better approach for me (ie eat for one hour, so basically one large meal during the day, then fast for the rest of the day)  I also added a "skip" day, where once in a while I'd skip a day entirely.   I also experimented with fasting for a few days in a row as well, but I haven't done that for some time now.

In January 2017 my weight:  253.5lbs  (114.98kg)
    Yesterday I weighed in at  169.4lbs   (76.84kg)
    Total Weight Loss:  84.1lbs  (38.14kg)

My weight has actually been in the 170lbs region for a few months now, so it seems to have stabilized on its own.
    The overall health improvement has been astounding as well, I feel better, look better, my allergies are maybe 10-15% of what they used to be and the recovery is rapid, I have not taken any allergy medicines at all, all year, my energy levels are way up (especially during the fast period) and a whole host of other improvements related to weight loss.

The down sides:
    * I literally donated almost my entire wardrobe to local charities, (at my peak, I used to weigh 277lbs so I had size 48 pants, and xxl everything else)  my clothes looked huge and baggy on me, this also applies to riding gear (this is a negative as replacing all your clothes is expensive)
    * Some people will also tell you that eating once a day and fasting is "unhealthy" and you will "hurt yourself"  incidentally these people are usually very over-weight and clearly have no idea what they are talking about, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.  Incidentally these are the same people who at the beginning of the year told me I would not lose any weight and I'm wasting my time.  Clearly this is not the case and I'm glad I did not listen.  I do wish I made a bet with them...
    * This style of eating is not inline with what people in Canada and USA do, as you eat only one meal a day (basically every meal is "Dinner" as you take in and entire day's worth of calories) this can be challenging when going out for social gatherings, you plan for this and eat your meal together with them, you just usually eat your big meal at that time.
    *  This style of eating is also very much against the grain of the food industries (whom are in it for the money), so expect resistance there.....

Unexpected up sides:
    *  once you are fully acclimated, you will not be hungry during your fast...
    * this style of eating is incredibly convenient, you don't waste so much time of the day eating, all the time, as you will realize everyone around you does....  This is especially handy for travel, 17hrs on a plane?  no problem, you're not hungry at all and can relax all day.  Long ride on the bike, again no problem! plus lots of energy to toss the VFR around.  Lunch time at work?  relax, surf the net, chat with your co-workers, just chill....
    * your inseam will get longer as you lose padding, I thought that my weight would squat the VFR more, but as it turns out the padding loss is far greater than the extra squat, so the reach to the ground is easier (From day 1 of owning my bike I used a low seat, I still do and I can easily flat-foot the bike on both sides)
    * CT performance improves, power, handling, braking, I basically reduced the VFR-X's weight by 84lbs as total bike/rider weight is affected.....
    * Your inseam is not the only thing that gets longer as you lose padding.....   
    *  You still eat and feast on all your favorite foods (I decided to post this, yesterday, while at Pizza Hut, eating a large order of cheesy Breadsticks and a Large meat-lovers Pan-Fried pizza, I finished the leftovers today)  (I should mention that I cut out refined sugar, no more chocolate bars for me...... and I don't pig out on pizza all that often)

Summary:
    IF Works.....  full stop.
    Will I ever stop it?   Nope.... its for life.... I love it....

Food for thought.... do your own research before trying anything...
    Hope this helps someone......

Tazmool

• Offline Crosstourer

• Forum Help & Support
    • Crosstourer Pro  ‐    122

Offline Crosstourer

• Forum Help & Support
    • Crosstourer Pro
    Re: Weight loss project ....
    Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2017, 05.06 pm
    Dec 17, 2017, 05.06 pm
    Losing 38 kgs is a hell of a lot, so well done  :028:

If it works for you then go for it !

Out of interest during what 6 hours do you eat ?

:821:

• Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    127
    • Topic Author

Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2017, 05.13 pm
    Dec 17, 2017, 05.13 pm
    I get that question a lot, when do I eat.

I've switched over to the 23-1, so I eat one BIG meal a day, and the time does not matter.
    I work shift-work and eat before going to work, so on days I eat at 4:20am, on midnights I eat around 1pm, maybe later, depending on when I wake up and what I'm doing.
    On off days, its all over the place, depending on what I'm going that day, for example yesterday I was off and ate at around 4pm (Pizza Hut dinner)
    Today I'm still off, and I ate at 11am (definitely not hungry, but its meal time so might as well get it done). 
    Tomorrow I'll be working, 4:20am is meal time.

So the fast period can be 23+ hrs, sometimes less, sometimes more.  Main thing is, 1 meal per day.
    The time of day when I eat, does not matter, it depends on the day.

Tazmool

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2017, 04.40 pm
    Dec 18, 2017, 04.40 pm
    Thanks for that Tazmool, I am currently 250lbs and that's before Xmas :005: I will look into this with interest. Currently I scoff in the evening with dinner etc but have gone the odd day without eating till evening. However I need to take anti-inflammatory tablets twice a day although not every day, with food. I wonder if a bit of cereal in the morning and then my dinner in the evening may work. Will definitely give it a go though. Thanks again ride safe  :305:
    Bill

• Offline Stump

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    68

Offline Stump

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: '16 VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Las Vegas
    Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2017, 06.57 pm
    Dec 19, 2017, 06.57 pm
    Congratulations on finding that lifestyle for eating that works for you!  Hard duty I'm sure at the start but its the long habit that will keep you strong and healthy for a lifetime!
    "... Specialization is for Insects."
    - Robert Heinlein

• Offline pistnbroke   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1572

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: crosstourer
    • City / Town: Irby
    Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2017, 10.57 pm
    Dec 28, 2017, 10.57 pm
    Well done Tazmool, great weight loss you reached.
    Keep up the good work.
    i too will look into this system, like you before you started down this route, and many others, i just love my grub.
    No chocolate though, really !!!!!
     :028: :031:
    keep it shiny side up !!!

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2017, 11.51 pm
    Dec 28, 2017, 11.51 pm
    Life without chocolate?  That ain’t living that’s just exisisting  :038:

• Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    375

Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200XD
    Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2017, 11.24 am
    Dec 29, 2017, 11.24 am
     :008:
    I first thought this topic would describe the weight loss of your bike. (The CT is a heavy one!)

Great job though Taz!