Author Topic: Dropped it!  (Read 6642 times)

• Offline HoldMyBeer

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    124
    • Topic Author

Offline HoldMyBeer

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Dropped it!
    on: Nov 20, 2017, 09.01 am
    Nov 20, 2017, 09.01 am
    Morning all,
    Long story short -
    Steep uphill on some beautiful B country road+ mud/ compressed leaves+ wet road+ well worn tyres= back wheel span and I've lost balance, extended right foot and couldn't reach the ground as the road was quite arched so by the time foot got on the tarmac there was no chance of holding it with one leg. Off I rolled down the hill like in cartoons 😂
    No damage apart from scrapes on engine bars and few scuffs on clutch cover.
    Few cars have stopped and helped picking it up as I had no chance. It fell on the right side and handlebars where lower than wheels if thats make sense. Tried all techniques - all I achieved before some lads helped me was back pain which gone away over the night God bless.
    Question- have anyone seen if there's any protection  for clutch and generator covers that would protect them from same incident? I've seen R&G makes some but don't like the looks. Also couldn't find any crash bars that extend to cover lower engine like they make for AT.
    All in all, lesson learned- no riding on back lanes during this season and no lifting on your own if you see you going to struggle.
    Have a great week!
    Ged

• Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    694

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFRXDCT
    • City / Town: Beith, Ex-0141
    Re: Dropped it!
    Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2017, 09.41 am
    Nov 20, 2017, 09.41 am
    Nightmare. Been there too. 2-up, turning round on dry baked mud at a farm, tyre broke trough into the soggy stuff below and stepped out. Missus ejected and sprained her ankle and I laid it down (the classic dont want to drop it/not enough power to lift it back up.) Couple rugby fellas stopped and helped me lift it, thank feck.

IIRC the TC does not work under 5mph I found out after the event.

Anyway glad you are ok and bike not too bad. :028:

• Offline Fat Bert   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    834

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
    • City / Town: Tenby
    Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2017, 12.01 pm
    Nov 20, 2017, 12.01 pm
    Been there - twice

Try as I might you just cannot lift the DCT back onto rubber on your own

I thought about buying R&G covers but then thought - sod it -battle scars!
    "Team Fat Bert" Racing

• Offline navigator1946   gb

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    169

Offline navigator1946

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
    • City / Town: Hornsea, E.Yorks
    Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2017, 02.31 pm
    Nov 20, 2017, 02.31 pm
    Did that last week.  Turning right at a T junction, didn't realize that the road was covered in diesel from all the tractors and wagons turning at that point.  Set off and the back wheel went left and the bike went down.  So did the tractor driver who kindly came to help! Clutch cover scraped (£50 from Russ at NW Honda), right indicator (£50) hand guard (£30).   Original engine bars did a good job, scraped but ok.  Had been enquiring of R&G for a cover for the clutch, but at £50 the Honda cover is cheaper than an R&G protecter, if they made one.  Now I know why they don't!

Just love my HONDA Crosstourer dct, and my manual TDM900.

• Offline HoldMyBeer

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    124
    • Topic Author

Offline HoldMyBeer

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2017, 05.38 pm
    Nov 20, 2017, 05.38 pm
    I've even had a thought about looking around for lighter bike when healing up a back pain with a glass of (few actually) wine.
    Today,  when riding to work I've noticed that handlebars are twisted to the right in relation to front wheel, but there was no scuffs on bar ends so perhaps it's from my attempts to lift it grabbing the throttle side of it.
    Is it just unscrewing everything from middle triple clamp to axle pinch bolts and pushing bike down few times or is there better way? If I'll push front down harder it will roll of the center stand I believe. Or you suppose to do that while holding the bike level and then roll it back on to main stand to bolt everything up to correct torques?
    Tanks for your comments, really helps to build up that confidence again 💪
    Ged
    Last Edit: Nov 20, 2017, 06.16 pm by HoldMyBeer

• Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    764

Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFR1200XSE White
    Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2017, 06.29 pm
    Nov 20, 2017, 06.29 pm
    R&G Crash bars stop damage to casings - as they have a loop that extends outwards. Have a look and see
    Yam YDS7,Suzuki T350 Rebel,Kawasaki 350 S2, Suzuki GT550, Kawasaki H1B 500, Kawasaki H2 750, Kawasaki Z1 900, Suzuki RE5 (stolen) Matchless 350 Trials, Kawasaki GTR 1000, ZZR1100C3, ZZR1100D2, Honda 900 Bandit, Suzuki SV1000K5 SZ, Honda Blackbird x 2, Honda Varadero 1000 - Honda CT

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2017, 07.19 am
    Nov 21, 2017, 07.19 am
    Sorry to hear that Ged, sounds like the camber of the road on your nearside was the last straw, a very common event. Glad your back injury was not serious, I don't wish my chronic back problems on anyone. Your post highlighted three lessons to be aware of. The camber of the road, attempts at lifting the bike (unless you are very proficient in the deadlift with weight training) and to ride the bike as though you have no TC or ABS. As for the handlebars just double check that it is not the ignition lock body giving the illusion that the handle bars are twisted, sometimes mine used to give that impression and I think it has been mentioned before on the forum. Ride safe mate,
    Bill

• Offline stansnuts

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    30

Offline stansnuts

• Crosstourer Member
    • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
    Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2017, 07.32 am
    Nov 21, 2017, 07.32 am
    *Originally Posted by navigator1946 [+]
    Did that last week.  Turning right at a T junction, didn't realize that the road was covered in diesel from all the tractors and wagons turning at that point.  Set off and the back wheel went left and the bike went down.  So did the tractor driver who kindly came to help! Clutch cover scraped (£50 from Russ at NW Honda), right indicator (£50) hand guard (£30).   Original engine bars did a good job, scraped but ok.  Had been enquiring of R&G for a cover for the clutch, but at £50 the Honda cover is cheaper than an R&G protecter, if they made one.  Now I know why they don't!

Sorry to hear about your fall, I've done similar on mine taking it off the centre stand but with the camber on the wrong side, had to just lay it down gently as I just couldn't hold it! but managed to get it back up on my own, think it must have been adrenaline!!!!
    Anyway, when you quote £50 for the clutch cover is that for a repair to the paint scrapes on it or a new replacement cover?
    Thanks
    Dave