Author Topic: Great Bikers Gear (GBG) Pannier Inners Question  (Read 3998 times)

• Online VfuRry   gb

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    219
    • Topic Author

Online VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200XDH
    • City / Town: Ashbourne
    Great Bikers Gear (GBG) Pannier Inners Question
    on: Nov 12, 2017, 09.13 am
    Nov 12, 2017, 09.13 am
    I still haven't got any inners for my OEM Honda luggage, apart from the single very nice but too-small 21L Honda bag that came with the luggage.  And Honda's bags apparently aren't available anymore anyway, and even if they were they're stupidly expensive as well as being too small (probably the main reasons why they're withdrawn; 'nobody wanted them').

For some time, I've been considering GBG's inners, as they look like the best option.  But before I buy some, I'd like to know how big they actually are; what their dimensions are.

I've now sent two messages to GBG via their website, to ask this, with no reply. Obviously they don't even look at messages (seems quite common for websites with 'contact us' emails / messaging things). I don't have much time / opportunity during the working day to phone them (and never think to do that).

So, do any of you have these bags?  If so, could you please tell me their W, D and H dimensions?

TIA.

• Offline Slidy

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    116

Offline Slidy

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Crosstourer, S10
    Re: Great Bikers Gear (GBG) Pannier Inners Question
    Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2017, 09.48 am
    Nov 12, 2017, 09.48 am
    We use GBG liners all the time. They are a good fit in panniers with no wasted room.
    They are extendable, have a side pocket good for small laptop/tablet etc, and shoulder strap. They, conveniently, are just the right size for airline carry on luggage too, so get used for that, as well as just normal weekend away bags.
    In my mind, they are well worth the money.

some on ebay at the moment too . . . .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-crosstourer-highlander-inner-panier-bags/263305678335?hash=item3d4e3dcdff:g:2foAAOSwy0JaAcRp

• Offline johnsondvr

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    116

Offline johnsondvr

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200X 2015
    • City / Town: Shrewsbury
    Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2017, 09.54 am
    Nov 12, 2017, 09.54 am
    I have used GBG bags for the last 18 months. Very pleased with all the bags. The top box bag is great with the expander zip.

I would recommend and the price is good. Solid quality.

• Online VfuRry   gb

• Topic Author

Online VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2017, 12.33 pm
    Nov 12, 2017, 12.33 pm
    Thanks guys; I've just ordered a set.

• Offline harmony

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    231

Offline harmony

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2017, 09.25 pm
    Nov 12, 2017, 09.25 pm
    I use all three of my Honda inner bags every single week.  They's brilliant for cramming stuff into when you stay in hotels a lot (as I do every week).  They's also great for stuffing into small spaces in the boot of the car!!

I only used them once in the Honda hard panniers.  Never again.  Much easier to put stuff directly in the panniers.

:152:
    deadmeercats

• Online VfuRry   gb

• Topic Author

Online VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2017, 09.32 pm
    Nov 12, 2017, 09.32 pm
    *Originally Posted by harmony [+]
    I only used them once in the Honda hard panniers.  Never again.

Why?  Did you not value being able to carry the bags away from the bike and leave the boxes on it?
    Last Edit: Nov 12, 2017, 09.34 pm by VfuRry

• Offline harmony

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    231

Offline harmony

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2017, 09.58 pm
    Nov 12, 2017, 09.58 pm
    Not really.  I'm normally at a bike rally when I'm using the panniers so taking the boxes off to the tent and then either putting them straight back on the bike or using them as a lockable place to keep valuables inside the tent is not an issue.

What I found to be a pain, was trying to get the full bag into the pannier and closing the pannier (especially the exhaust side).  I find it much easier to pack the pannier directly.
    Last Edit: Nov 12, 2017, 10.01 pm by harmony
    deadmeercats

• Online VfuRry   gb

• Topic Author

Online VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2017, 06.33 pm
    Nov 14, 2017, 06.33 pm
    I've just received the GBG inner bags (quick delivery).  I'd ordered a set of (two) pannier bags, and the topbox bag.

They came in two wrappers. I opened the first wrapper, within which was a single bag which I assumed was the topbox bag, as not only was it a single bag, it also looked about the size of the topbox I have (new style).

I then unwrapped the second wrapper, to find two bags, which I assumed would be the two pannier bags. But, while there were two bags, and one of them is the same size as the first I unwrapped, the other is the same size as the Honda OEM bag I have - which is smaller, at 21L.

So, I conclude that the two largest GBG bags I have are both actually the pannier bags, and the smaller one is the topbox bag, but this appears to be sized for the old, shallower, expandable topbox.

What I actually need are three GBG 'pannier' bags.

Oddly, the shallower GBG 'topbox' bag is only the same size as the Honda bag when expanded; de-expanding that would make it even smaller.

I will be returning the 'topbox' bag, to swap for another 'pannier' bag.

BTW, I assume that the Honda 21L bag is the size it is (too small) because it's sized for the old, expandable topbox (but you'd think they would have designed it to expand with the topbox).  It's also the single bag that you get for 'free' with the luggage, which implies it's for the topbox.  I've always understood/assumed that Honda only made one size of bag, supposedly for both the panniers and/or topbox, but now I'm wondering - did they also make a larger version, for the panniers?
    Last Edit: Nov 14, 2017, 06.41 pm by VfuRry

arab-exile