Author Topic: Reflections on CT a couple of weeks in!  (Read 1892 times)

• Offline Jono49

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    118
    • Topic Author

Offline Jono49

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2012 DCT
    Reflections on CT a couple of weeks in!
    on: Nov 05, 2017, 10.30 pm
    Nov 05, 2017, 10.30 pm
    I really like the big lass after a couple of weeks of ownership! The DCT is sublime when you get used to the quirkyness, I've been practicing slow speed control a lot (Especially right turns) using the rear brake for control and getting the bite point right, I find I can adapt to this quite easy as I have a trials bike (Beta rev 3) and practice the same technique but using a hand clutch and a hell of a lot lighter bike! Today I softened up the suspension a "Lot" WTF Honda were playing at making a so called adventure class bike with suspension that is firm enough for a track day.
    As with anything you own for a while you start to notice thing's, small but annoying things! like handguards that are too shallow and to prove it aftermarket extensions are available from R&G, GIVI etc.....Again WTF Honda  :230:
    But on a more positive note, I have gelled with the CT and can overlook a few Foibles, and look forward to getting her fettled for next years outings, and fitting a few farkles, and an odd bit of powder coating, and an ACF50 bath, oil, Air filters, she already has a new full set of brake pads fitted, so we'll hit the road ready next spring and ready for another 10,000 miles plus as a weekend warrior  :305:

• Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    488

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Warrington
    Re: Reflections on CT a couple of weeks in!
    Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2017, 06.17 am
    Nov 06, 2017, 06.17 am
    Glad you're enjoying it Jono. DCT is really good once you get used to it. Low speed stuff is strange at first when we are used to using the clutch biting point and a bit of brake for control. I've also fitted a throttle tamer which has ironed out any niggle I had around control.

The other niggles are irritating because they would be really easy for Honda to fix, but all in all it doesn't detract from the overall quality of the bike. I've fitted Givi handguards, easy mod, quite cheap and makes a fair difference IMO.

• Offline FZ1

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    261

Offline FZ1

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: CT 2012 Manual
    • City / Town: Cambridgeshire
    Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2017, 02.16 pm
    Nov 06, 2017, 02.16 pm
    I gave up with the Givi hand-guard extensions after breaking a couple (they are brittle perspex).  I went for the Barkbusters which (although a bit more expensive) are a lot more resilient.

Cheers,

Jon

• Offline Fat Bert   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    834

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
    • City / Town: Tenby
    Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2017, 04.13 pm
    Nov 06, 2017, 04.13 pm
    *Originally Posted by Jono49 [+]
    I really like the big lass after a couple of weeks of ownership! The DCT is sublime when you get used to the quirkyness, I've been practicing slow speed control a lot (Especially right turns) using the rear brake for control and getting the bite point right, I find I can adapt to this quite easy as I have a trials bike (Beta rev 3) and practice the same technique but using a hand clutch and a hell of a lot lighter bike! Today I softened up the suspension a "Lot" WTF Honda were playing at making a so called adventure class bike with suspension that is firm enough for a track day.
    As with anything you own for a while you start to notice thing's, small but annoying things! like handguards that are too shallow and to prove it aftermarket extensions are available from R&G, GIVI etc.....Again WTF Honda  :230:
    But on a more positive note, I have gelled with the CT and can overlook a few Foibles, and look forward to getting her fettled for next years outings, and fitting a few farkles, and an odd bit of powder coating, and an ACF50 bath, oil, Air filters, she already has a new full set of brake pads fitted, so we'll hit the road ready next spring and ready for another 10,000 miles plus as a weekend warrior  :305:

and you're still an IXXRA Lightweight!

LOL
    "Team Fat Bert" Racing

• Offline Jono49

• Topic Author

Offline Jono49

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2017, 08.31 pm
    Nov 06, 2017, 08.31 pm
     :150: :001:

• Offline BadgerDBad

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    50

Offline BadgerDBad

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: CT Highlander
    • City / Town: Peterborough
    Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2017, 09.06 pm
    Nov 06, 2017, 09.06 pm
    I'm sure one or two more ixxra types will end up on a CT......Jono, is the top box big enough for yer packed lunch?

• Offline Jono49

• Topic Author

Offline Jono49

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2017, 10.45 pm
    Nov 06, 2017, 10.45 pm
    Nah I'm using my Givi trekker outback currently, it's big enough to get half a hog roast in!  :152:

arab-exile