Author Topic: I may have to let her go ... the CT that is!!  (Read 4267 times)

• Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    592
    • Topic Author

Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200X DCT
    • City / Town: Holywell
    I may have to let her go ... the CT that is!!
    on: Oct 25, 2017, 06.10 pm
    Oct 25, 2017, 06.10 pm
    It seems that my days with the CT may be numbered.   :006: Not because I don’t like it or because of bike problems but because my good lady pillion is not happy that, with the weight of the bike and a pillion (and potentially luggage), I am fully in control.  It has something to be with me being a bit short (5’ 7” and a bit) and the bike being a bit tall and top heavy … oh and did I mention I dropped it (and her) on our first ride.  :087: It was due to a drop-away road side, no one was hurt, other than to pride, but I suspect the damage was done.  :164:

As additional background I have tried the lowered seat (didn’t like it) and so had the bike lowered 35mm.  I can get both feet down pretty firmly … but not firmly enough it seems.
    To be fair she has a reasonable point, the CT is an ungainly thing at low speed, two-up and the pillion is way high.  No such problems on the move and, as we all know, the bike is transformed and works well, pillion or not.

However, I am becoming resigned that this is one I will not win … or not at least if I want her to continue as a pillion.  So, I am appealing to the combined forum brain power as to what to do or get next.  I could easily be persuaded to go for the Africa Twin (DCT of course) but she sees that as another tall bike … and perception is reality.

Interestingly, the crossrunner is seen as a less daunting prospect by MGLP.  From my point of view it doesn’t have DCT (but then not much does unfortunately) and that will be something I will truly miss.
    I am therefore looking either for a tactic to keep the CT and not jeopardise our relationship … or what would you propose as an alternative?  Any ideas considered … We’ve considered a second bike for pillion-time and even a second bike for her to ride.

The trusty old girl (the CT that is) could be up for sale soon …
    Puch125, CD175, CB175, C90, CB100, CB900, VF750, K100, CBR1000, CBR1000, DR650SE, RF900R, Bayliner, RF900R, Super Blackbird, Piaggio X9 125, Burgman 650, Hayabusa, VFR1200F, VFR1200X, F800 GT,

• Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    488

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Warrington
    Re: I may have to let her go ... the CT that is!!
    Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2017, 07.34 pm
    Oct 25, 2017, 07.34 pm
    Interesting MM, I've just swapped my second bike (2001 VFR800) for a very clean 2002 1100 Pan European. Theory being that it would be perfect for two up rides and touring two up. Theory was right, pillion seat must be 6 inches lower, wider and deeper (from my back to the top box), so it's easier for her to get on, much easier to paddle around two up (she had to get off the CT for me to paddle it around) and suspension is so plush there's no comparison with the CT. so that's us sorted for the foreseeable, just need to decide whether to keep the CT or trade for something smaller for solo riding.

On that topic, I've had a test ride on aDCT AT at Smiths Honda. Very impressed, but it does feel off road oriented (of course) and I'm not interested in that so feels like I'm making that bike fit what I need. It is still tall, but much more controllable at no or low speed. I do think the pillion will have the same problem getting on and off and is probably slightly more cramped than the CT. I'm going to test ride the Crossrunner, the more I research, the more I like the look of it. I'll test ride one when I get round to it in the next few weeks.

Certainly not going to rush into this, keeping the CT is my primary option at the moment, paid for, I've owned it from new, two services left on service plan and I do really like the bike, with a slight caveat on the suspension, but that as we know is fixable. I can't see me moving away from Honda. I quite like the Z1000SX, but looks cheap compared with my Hondas when you get close to it. I can't get on with full naked bikes, they feel like toys after a bigger faired bike to me. Horses for courses eh?

Interested to know how you get on, happy to catch up and compare notes if you fancy it?

Cheers

Stu

• Offline Dave56   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1794

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Grantham
    Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2017, 08.05 pm
    Oct 25, 2017, 08.05 pm
    *Originally Posted by Martymouse [+]

.......As additional background I have tried the lowered seat (didn’t like it) and so had the bike lowered 35mm.  I can get both feet down pretty firmly … but not firmly enough it seems.
     …

Was initially going to suggest the Yamaha S10 Martymouse but quickly realised that the seat height might once again be an issue, but rest assured I think I've found the ideal Yamaha to solve the problem.............!  :164: :001:

Last Edit: Oct 25, 2017, 08.18 pm by Dave56
    "The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

• Offline Dave56   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1794

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Grantham
    Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2017, 08.16 pm
    Oct 25, 2017, 08.16 pm
    Seriously though mate I truly sympathise with your situation. While the CT is an ideal two up mile muncher it is very tall in the saddle department.
    My wife, who no longer travels pillion owing to arthritis, while she found the pillion dept. comfortable she did struggle with the height.
    I think that you may find that a dedicated touring bike - Honda Pan Eropean, Kawasaki GTR 1400 or my particular favourite the Yamaha FJR 1300.
    They obviously excel on the comfort front but also tend to have much lower seat heights just not sure how they compare on the weight front but while they may not differ greatly there weight will be carried lower.
    Last Edit: Oct 25, 2017, 08.19 pm by Dave56
    "The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2017, 10.26 pm
    Oct 25, 2017, 10.26 pm
    Sorry to hear the CT may have to go mate, youve obviously invested a few quid in it and like the bike.

I cant really offer any solutions as such, as you rightly say , and anyone who owns one will agree, the CT is a heavy bit of kit.

There are lighter bikes out there for sure but without going a fair bit smaller and compromising power and comfort for rider and pillion is the difference really going to be that much?

I test rode a GS and there is no doubt it feels lighter than the CT to push around and to be fair, in the twisties too. However, if it were two up with full luggage do you think that in the circumstances of your drop youd have managed to keep a GS upright? Would the few kilos have made a difference?
     I also own an XJR1300, no lightweight for sure but a lot lighter than my CT and ive dropped that twice, as you know, once they start to go its hellishly difficult to stop and big bike.

Stu has obviously found an ST more manageable and I have owned an FJR which is a brilliant bike but still heavy but maybe Daves suggestion of a tourer could tick the box for you.

With all that said though, if you feel confident on your CT when riding solo maybe the solution would be for your good lady to have her own bike and you could still carry the bulk of the luggage if and when touring.

I think in your situation maybe the thing to do is go and try the other bikes you feel maybe be more suitable two up and see how you get on.

One more thing, mate of mine has just bought a Tiger 800,nice bit of kit.  Ive not ridden it but moving it around and getting it off the side stand it feels so light, rider and pillion space seems about the same as the bigger Explorer.

Good luck with whatever you decide, ill be interested in the outcome.

• Offline Fat Bert   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    834

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
    • City / Town: Tenby
    Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2017, 12.12 am
    Oct 26, 2017, 12.12 am
    Mate - gutted for you

Can I seriously suggest a visit here.... https://www.motorcyclelive.co.uk/

Sit on them- try them out prior to a testride?

AT?  Pal of mine (Samster) loves his DCT Africa and rides it quite hard - but with pillion (let alone full luggage) he claims it's left her running out of puff a bit.  In fairness the Africa Twin was never designed as a pillion-bound touring bike

Get both of you down to the NEC and try them out!
    "Team Fat Bert" Racing

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2017, 06.01 am
    Oct 26, 2017, 06.01 am
    Sorry to hear this Martymouse I to had to give up my CT for the AT, back and left foot problems required a DCT and lighter bike. I miss the CT but have really bonded with the AT but then I never have a pillion or weighty luggage. However I did have a Crosstourer before the CT and rode that with full luggage and pillion and it was more than adequate but you will miss the torque and power of the CT.
    Hope you find a suitable bike, ride safe.
    Bill

• Offline Slidy

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    116

Offline Slidy

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Crosstourer, S10
    Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2017, 06.25 am
    Oct 26, 2017, 06.25 am
    If you haven't ridden one yet, test ride the Crossrunner. It is still the best bike I've ever had. It took us the length of the Alps/Dolomites with ease. The top end, and acceleration are much the same as the CT without the height and weight issues you are having. The stock luggage is a bit small for anything more than a long weekend trip, but that can be changed.

I too I'm looking at something else for next year for the same reasons, and the CR is definitely up there on the list.