Author Topic: Today’s the day for new suspenders at Revs...  (Read 3109 times)

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074
    • Topic Author

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Today’s the day for new suspenders at Revs...
    on: Oct 16, 2017, 01.15 pm
    Oct 16, 2017, 01.15 pm
    Im sitting waiting for Revs Suspension to do there thing on my CT.
    This is by far the most costly mod I’ve ever had done to any bike I’ve owned. I must admit to being a little nervous, probably a little daft but I do tend to be a worrier.

I’ll post when it’s done and I’ve had chance to try it out on the 60 mile ride home. Unfortunately I’ll be sharing the ride with hurricane Ofrigginhellia.

• Offline Dieselboy

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    115

Offline Dieselboy

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: '17 VFR1200XD
    • City / Town: Tampa
    Re: Today’s the day for new suspenders at Revs...
    Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2017, 02.02 pm
    Oct 16, 2017, 02.02 pm
     :062:

I will take better suspension over more horse power any day of the week.

If you are having it dialed to your weight, you will see a huge improvement. 

This mod is on my list but will not happen anytime soon.

• Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1545

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1000
    • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
    Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2017, 08.33 pm
    Oct 16, 2017, 08.33 pm
    When my sons used to race MX a veteran once advised us NOT to buy any 'tuning/go faster' bits but spend the money on the suspension and you will gain 3 seconds a lap... he was right

Ian  :305:

• Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    488

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
    • City / Town: Warrington
    Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2017, 09.26 pm
    Oct 16, 2017, 09.26 pm
    What's the verdict Paul? As you know I've been contemplating getting mine done for some time. My sense is that it would make the bike close to spot on.

Slight problem for me is a recurring offside fork oil seal leak. Been replaced twice now, second time they changed the fork bushes too and still weeping. I want that sorted properly before I start having work done that could invalidate the warranty in case there is something more sinister going on that would be expensive for me to fix out of warranty.

Stu

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074
    • Topic Author

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2017, 11.45 pm
    Oct 16, 2017, 11.45 pm
    Well new suspension all done, heres my initial thoughts. Bear in mind im not Rossi or a suspension expert so i can only describe what i feel has changed.

Firstly tho, a word about the guys at Revs.

When i arrived at Revs this morning the first question from Nick was "would you like a cuppa Paul?"

While i had a brew i had a few questions about what was going to be done and how it made a difference. Nick patiently explained everything to me, told me what different parts did how they worked and why youd choose one thing over another for different applications.

Rather than have you hanging around the workshop all day one of the guys will run you down to a local bikeshop that has a good cafe and lots of shiney bikes to look at while they carry out the work. I completely understand this, nobody likes to be watched over and it would only be a destraction. If you decide to head of somewhere else thats fine, theyll give you a bell and come and pick you up from where ever youve got to and bring you back to the workshop when the work is complete.
    They then get you to take the bike for a quick spin to check that everything is ok will answer any questions you have. You really do get the impression it matters to these guys that youre happy with what theyve done. 

What they dont do is give you free greasy handprints all over your bike which seems to come as part of a service at Honda. I noticed there was paper towels wrapped around the grips to avoid and grease getting onto them. These things make a difference i think.

These guys are so friendly and you feel that if you did have a problem or anything you needed help with it would never be an issue.

Ok the suspension, I had progressive front springs fitted with a revised air gap and setup and a Wilbers rear shock with hydraulic preload adjuster, all suited to my weight and requirements.

The weather has been pretty rough around here so my 60 mile rush hour ride home was taken at a steady pace so i havent really pushed the bike hard and these are only my first impressions from a short ride.

The very first thing i noticed was from the front end on my very short initial spin around the block after getting back to the workshop. As you turn into the road where Revs are theres a dip, as i rode over this i could tell a difference, the bike just seemed to roll through it without any jarring that i would have expected to feel, same as when i rode up the dropped kerb into their yard.

Something else that was very noticable was how the front performed when coming to a standstill , for example at a junction or traffic lights. Where as it used to move up a down a few times as you stopped it now settles a lot quicker (maybe one less bounce if you know what i mean?) and doesnt appear to dive as much either. 
    On the open road the bike seems to be a lot more settled, under breaking and acceleration it feels like the bike is staying more level and on an undulating road that would have had the bike bouncing up and down a bit after the event it regains is composure quicker. That was really noticable.  Whats is odd though is,  even though it feels firmer the front doesnt appear to jar like it used to.

If your expecting it to be magic carpet smooth,  it isnt and i  suggest you spend your money on , ur well, a magic carpet.  I can still feel poor surfaces and holes in the road (to be fair, you could fly over some of our roads in a helicopter and feel the holes) but the thing that is noticeable it how quickly the bike seems to deal with it and recover.

I dont know why but it was the rear of the bike i thought id experience the biggest difference with but on my very brief first ride its the front that has seemed the most different.

Itll be very interesting to get a few more miles done and try it with a pillion and luggage.

Theres no doubt its expensive to have this done and i guess only time will tell if i feel its been worth it but my biggest fear, or two fears were that, 1  id not be able to tell any difference and 2 that my bike may get damaged.

I neednt of worried.

Last Edit: Oct 16, 2017, 11.54 pm by Hartley

• Offline ukstu

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2017, 05.49 am
    Oct 17, 2017, 05.49 am
    Sounds like a worthwhile investment Paul. I've heard a mixed bag of comments on expensive suspension upgrades, it obviously depends what you have done and how well it is set up. I guess you would be able to tweak over the next couple of months, but I'd expect it to be there or thereabouts straight out of their workshop with initial setup given their experience?

Checking where they are based, it wouldn't be too bad a trip from where I am in Warrington to have them do mine (based on your experience sounds like they will give good value for money and look after your bike). How long did it take them?

Cheers

Stu

• Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1545

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1000
    • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
    Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2017, 11.11 am
    Oct 17, 2017, 11.11 am
    Stu, have you not considered a chat to Maxton just down the road at Frodsham?

Or Kais near me at Atherton?

A chat costs nothing?

Ian  :305:

• Offline ukstu

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2017, 12.15 pm
    Oct 17, 2017, 12.15 pm
    Yeah, I've spoken with Richard(?) at Maxton, very knowledgable and friendly. They obviously have a good reputation in racing, but I've not seen a lot of really positive comments about their work on road bikes and on CT's in particular. I'd like to use them, and they are local, but I have a slight worry and being a £1k guineapig makes me a little nervous. You, or others may know more and keen for any views.

I don't know anything about Kais although I've seen them advertised, do you have any first hand experience with them?

Cheers

Stu