Author Topic: Yamaha Tenere 1200  (Read 3813 times)

• Offline 2shea

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    87
    • Topic Author

Offline 2shea

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Yamaha Tenere 1200
    on: Oct 16, 2017, 11.02 am
    Oct 16, 2017, 11.02 am
    Anyone here that now owns a CT own a Tenere 1200 before it? Or were you considering a Tenere 1200 before you finally went with the CT and if so why?

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Re: Yamaha Tenere 1200
    Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2017, 11.12 am
    Oct 16, 2017, 11.12 am
    I test rode a Super Ten before my first CT.  The Yamaha has been around a long time and has an excellent reputation for build quality and reliability. I personally think that Yamaha is easily on par on build with Honda and the S10 certainly felt well built. I did quite like it but the CT had the edge in the engine department.

The one I rode had a rediculously loud can fitted which pi55ed me of so I cut the test ride short.
    To be fair it was an outsider with the Triupmh Explorer being favourite for along time.

That said, the Yamaha is a very good, underrated bike. Can’t help thinking if Yamaha gave it another 20-30 BHP to bring it online with the GS etc they’d sell a lot more.
    Last Edit: Oct 16, 2017, 11.14 am by Hartley

• Offline Jono49

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    118

Offline Jono49

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 2012 DCT
    Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2017, 12.19 pm
    Oct 16, 2017, 12.19 pm
    I currently own an S10, And will hopefully have a test ride on a 12 plate Highlander DCT on Wedneday morning, I like the S10 a lot but it's a gen 1, - 2011 so has the rumbly/viby clutch basket problem, also at 24,000 miles it would be prudent to change the CCT as well, then you start to think the VFR doesnt have these problems.....or does it????
    Last Edit: Oct 16, 2017, 12.27 pm by Jono49

• Offline Dave56   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1794

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Grantham
    Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2017, 01.17 pm
    Oct 16, 2017, 01.17 pm
    I had an S10 before I bought my first CT and I have to agree with Hartly 're the build quality.
    I feel that it is a very underrated adventure style bike.
    It may not have all the electrical bells and whistles the GS but at least you know that it will at least actually get you to your destination.
    I really enjoyed my ownership and only changed as the wife found the "ammo" style top box really uncomfortable.
    Would I go back to one - not a chance as the CT is just a gem.
    "The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

• Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    375

Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200XD
    Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2017, 01.12 pm
    Oct 17, 2017, 01.12 pm
    In 2015 they had the new XT1200 Worldcrosser in silver/blue, wooo liked that bike!! :046:
    The only reason why it never became my first Yamaha was because they dont have DCT or similar.

Last year we had a brand new one in the shop and I unboxed the bike and did the first service and I have to admit that it was a bit disappointing, it all did not look as quality as Honda (although Yamaha is really reliable) all the plastics felt cheap and thin, Honda feels more solid. There were too many separate parts on the bike, cables, lines, brackets and mounts everywhere, just like the GS, like the designer made scratches on paper and translated it to a bike. The CT is more one bike, not 271 separate parts fit together.

Also the road tires didnt do the looks any good. The bike was send to Gambia so we could mount some descent ones

• Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    127

Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2017, 05.16 am
    Nov 02, 2017, 05.16 am
    I test rode a 2015 S10 ES model, and found the bike to be brilliant in all departments but one, the engine power delivery was not great.  It was not under powered, but the rev limiter is very low, the bottom end torque is great, but runs out of breath quickly... I think I just don't like the feel of a parallel twin (I did not like a Versys 650 I rode either, for the same reason, engine was boring)

The Brakes, Suspension (especially the electronically adjustable suspension) Ergonomics, Handling, Everything about the bike was great (Great dash, the Gear indicator was a joke however, with clutch pulled in it just showed a "-"  Dash, no gear, only with clutch out and rolling for a second or two would it indicate what gear you're in, useless indicator)

I still strongly considered the S10 as my next bike, and only when I found my current CT did I sway from the S10.

Tazmool

• Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    127

Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2017, 05.20 am
    Nov 02, 2017, 05.20 am
    I should also add that I think the S10 is a bike built for tougher conditions than the CT, its exhaust is higher up, it has factory tip over protection, its rad is on the side and out of the way, its spark plugs are bolted down so they won't come loose, and it just seems like a "tougher" bike all around.  I think the S10 would out last the CT in the desert/off road area, but the CT will probably just take it on the road (longevity wise)

Engine and transmission wise, the CT DCT is just brilliant.  Suspension the the S10 ES blows the CT out of the water.

I don't think you could go wrong with either bike however

Tazmool

• Offline Slidy

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    116

Offline Slidy

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Crosstourer, S10
    Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2017, 06.54 am
    Nov 02, 2017, 06.54 am
    The S10 is absolutely rocket proof. Built more for off road, it is equally at home on tarmac.
    In Sport mode, It kept up with everything on Rides, even the group of younger lads I used to go out with on their sports bikes - When they left me on the straights, I'd catch them in the twisties - , and in touring mode it was far tamer.
    I would still have it now, but my good lady pillion couldn't get used to the vibration of the twin engine.