Author Topic: Dash cams  (Read 3526 times)

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074
    • Topic Author

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Dash cams
    on: Oct 15, 2017, 10.36 pm
    Oct 15, 2017, 10.36 pm
    Weve all seen the clips on Youtube captured by these clever little devices but they do seem you have spawned a type of individual who is takes to the road with the sole intention of capuring something to upload to the internet.

Ive seen a few recently where the budding film maker is having a rant and berating another road user who has simply made a mistake, weve all done it, got in the wrong lane on a roundabout when we're in an unfamiliar area, or cut someone up by accident.

I was out in Wales today when i came up behind a queue of slow moving traffic. 5 cars following a tractor and trailor doing about 20 in a 40 limit.
    I sat at the back until and opportunity arose to move forward, i pulled out and over took two cars with no drama and not even exceeding the limit and pulled into a gap behind a silver/gold 4x4 type thing, may have been a Honda CRV.   Id been in position for probably 15 to 30 seconds and was looking for an chance to overtake again and on came his breaklights , not fierce breaking nothing major i just applied a little break to maintain the gap , thought nothing of it.

It was then i noticed the driver pointing at a dash cam mounted beneath his rear view mirror.  i took little notice, after all, id done nothing wrong, id not over taken dangerously, it wasnt solid white lines, id not caused the following vehicle to break when i pulled in.  In fact the only thing that had happend was that i briefly got close to him when he broke for no aparent reason.

He then started pointing at at his camera again , i held up my hand to indicate, so what?  At this point the road straightened up to a 60 and while Speilberg was busy trying to generate some more subcribers to his "Im a sad tit with nothing better to do " You tube page, i checked my mirrors, indicated and passed him, the other 2 cars,  the tractor and trailor and carried on down the road.

I Recently read that the police are now encouraging members of the pulbic to send in footage from dash cams with a view to prosecuting road users based on the video.
    The risk i feel is that the whole "picture" may well be lost in the edit, while youve got people like the one i encountered today on the road today, who's to say they just might provoke a situation to get their moment of glory?

Last Edit: Oct 15, 2017, 10.45 pm by Hartley

• Offline marcopol

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    231

Offline marcopol

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 2013 DCT 2012 DC
    • City / Town: Ashbourne and Ki
    Re: Dash cams
    Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2017, 02.50 pm
    Oct 17, 2017, 02.50 pm
    For this very reason I have two Nextbase Ride motorbike dash cams mounted on my bike, one front one back. They are powered by the bikes battery when the ignition is turned on. Never have to charge it etc. Hi def 3 hour loops on a 32 GB SD disc.
    Currently available in Amazon for an excellent price of £127 I believe. Great quality piece of kit.

• Offline pistnbroke   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1572

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: crosstourer
    • City / Town: Irby
    Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2017, 07.41 pm
    Oct 29, 2017, 07.41 pm
    Hi Hartley,
    i think you are right and we will see more of these moronic idiots pointing to cameras and twisting the situations to get others in lumber with the police.
    I had heard that the n/wales police are doing this snitch stuff, well i say shame on them for the way it'll get innocent situations put in a wrong context.
    ride safe.
    keep it shiny side up !!!

• Offline GarySN

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    173

Offline GarySN

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2018, 07.46 am
    Oct 12, 2018, 07.46 am
    *Originally Posted by marcopol [+]
    For this very reason I have two Nextbase Ride motorbike dash cams mounted on my bike, one front one back. They are powered by the bikes battery when the ignition is turned on. Never have to charge it etc. Hi def 3 hour loops on a 32 GB SD disc.
    Currently available in Amazon for an excellent price of £127 I believe. Great quality piece of kit.
    https://www.crosstourer.com/index.php/topic,7133.msg70208.html#msg70208

• Offline themediaengine

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    54

Offline themediaengine

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: VFR1200XD-E
    • City / Town: London
    Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2018, 09.19 am
    Oct 12, 2018, 09.19 am
    the police in Wales and also in many other "remote" parts of the UK have no money so they steal it off motorists passing through to subsidise their underfunding. Any means will do. Here we talk about dash cam sneaks and elsewhere we will talk about speed cameras in vans operated by subcontractors in between villages where speed restrictions are ambiguous and unclear. Road safety is the excuse and I don't deny that there are bad apples that make this a good reason.

I have a similar but different reason for a camera. I commute through London and never leave home without a helmet camera for fear that the idiots breaking the law on their bicycles will cause an accident for which I am held responsible. I also ride a bicycle BTW.

Its a sad world when it comes to this. Time to sound old. I can remember when riding bikes and driving cars was a carefree experience and bikers used to nod and wave to each other and we used to stop when we saw someone stationary at the side of the road. Bicycles and horses were carefully avoided. Now its all suspicion and disrespect. Its always someone else's fault

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2018, 06.51 am
    Oct 18, 2018, 06.51 am
    Well worth a read. Pick your (beyond reasonable doubt) offences from the video evidence. 

https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/can-dash-cam-evidence-be-used-against-you-in-court/
    Last Edit: Oct 18, 2018, 07.04 am by Yasko
    Bill

• Offline themediaengine

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    54

Offline themediaengine

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: VFR1200XD-E
    • City / Town: London
    Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2018, 01.11 pm
    Oct 18, 2018, 01.11 pm
    This is the problem. I actually started trying to judge the ones who were "beyond reasonable doubt". I just fell into the trap. I had to start responding to this last post before I realised that I was becoming a complete tw@! as well.

We all make mistakes, do things we wish we hadn't, show off, take a chance that we regret. I do it on a push bike, motorbike, car and sometimes as a pedestrian. Why? no idea really because I hate risk. It just makes sense in that moment in time. Who amongst us has not broken a speed limit, both deliberately or accidentally Before you answer, just try to drive half a mile in a 20mph zone. So if we make judgements on the basis of this kind of footage sitting in our ivory towers (I'm in the office now between meetings) we are surely lost.

What we need are good, well trained traffic cops to keep us on the right path. I've been on the bike safe course and ridden with these guys. I rather they judged me than someone sitting in a tin can pretending they know everything. To separate the people who really care from those that really don't is what counts because we learn this way and correct behaviour. Prosecuting people is an escalation process not a default position. If we are all treat the same because the common factor is 10 seconds of dash cam footage with the objective of collecting money, then what incentive is there for people to behave properly at any time. Its a degradation of the system where we take responsibility away from trained experts and put it in the hands of the uneducated masses; a form of mob rule. I detest the insidious righteousness that comes out of people and the divisiveness that this causes society.

And don't get me started on social media....

• Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    592

Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFR1200X DCT
    • City / Town: Holywell
    Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2018, 01.39 pm
    Oct 18, 2018, 01.39 pm
    There were clearly some idiots in the clips … and the drivers commentary often bore no relation to what was happening.
    However, I suspect there is an equally long and dangerous compilation of car drivers doing stupid things.
    The problem is that in videos like this it is not possible to tell what is a lapse of concentration/distraction (which we are all guilty of …) and what is deliberate stupidity (which I would like to think relatively few people do as a matter of course).
    We could discuss the relative dynamics and differences between bike and car which few motorists understand.  As a common example here, we all ride bikes the height of stepladders and our line of sight is usually higher and further than the average car so we can be better informed and carry out a manoeuvre that the car driver cannot understand is safe.
    It will not be long before, irrespective of dashcam or otherwise, the old bill will be able to plug into your ECU and retrieve all the vehicle data it needs to decide what you were actually doing and where with ubiquitous GPS.  In fact your phone could probably tell them too; location tracking anyone?
    We are all doomed, so enjoy the relative freedom to ride while you still can  :305:  :305:  :305:
    Puch125, CD175, CB175, C90, CB100, CB900, VF750, K100, CBR1000, CBR1000, DR650SE, RF900R, Bayliner, RF900R, Super Blackbird, Piaggio X9 125, Burgman 650, Hayabusa, VFR1200F, VFR1200X, F800 GT,

arab-exile