Author Topic: Powering the accessories  (Read 21055 times)

• Offline Dieselboy

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    115
    • Topic Author

Offline Dieselboy

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: '17 VFR1200XD
    • City / Town: Tampa
    Powering the accessories
    on: Oct 08, 2017, 06.07 pm
    Oct 08, 2017, 06.07 pm
    I spent the last two days preparing to add powered accessories to my 2017 VFR1200XD.  A work in progress, I added:

Garmin ZUMO 665
    J&M CB radio (JMCB2003B)
    Auxiliary lights (Vision X Solstice and Optimus)
    Orange Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

As I don't like punching holes in OEM wiring, I'm running all of these through the Fuzeblock FZ1.

I placed the FZ1 under the seat in place of the owner's manual.

I drilled four holes and used stainless M4 screws with lock nuts to secure it to the fender.

The FZ1 is connected to the battery. It has an on-board relay to allow it to only power it's circuits when the ignition is switched.  So the “trigger” for turning that relay on and off has to tap into a power line that is activated by the ignition.  I chose the headlight low beam as that trigger.  I fed a wire into the headlight relay connector (the rear most connector) on the left side of the airbox.

The FZ1 is now the focal point for all other electronic add ons.  It allows me to leave the OEM harness basically untouched.

The J&M CB radio and Garmin ZUMO 665 are mounted to the handlebars.  Both systems have power leads that route back to the FZ1.  (You can see the J&M noise filter above the FZ1 in the  second pic above.  It is two-sided taped down to the fender.) J&M and Garmin are pictured below.

The auxiliary lights also have relays.  I taped them to the right side vicinity the ABS pump.

These tend to confuse people. I think of them as electric switches.  The lower relay turns on the Vision X Solstices.  The upper relay turns on the Vision X Optimuses (Optimi?). 

I grounded these circuits close to the relays using a bolt associated with the ABS manifold. That ground wire is marked by the green zip tie. (I color code my wires: green is ground; red is positive; and yellow is trigger. Keeps confusion down when moving things around.)

The tricky bit of thinking about relays as “switches” is that you must have a way to flip or trigger them.  So the lower relay is triggered by the OEM fog light switch.

The upper relay is triggered by the high beam switch.  Back to the headlight relay, the blue wire is the high beam.  I fed a wire up into the connector and ran it to the upper relay.  Turning on the high beams turns on the relay which turns on the Optimuses.

Now for the disappointing caveat, I cannot actually mount the auxiliary lights nor the J&M antenna until my R&G engine guards arrive.  (To get them to me from the UK is a six to eight week process and I'm only at the end of week five.) However, the behind-the-scenes wiring is done.  It will make the final install MUCH easier.

Positive lines from the respective relay for the auxiliary lights are coiled and ready.  I will also have to ground the lights and will wait until I mount them to determine those grounding points.   Likewise, the antenna will need to be grounded. 
    Last Edit: Oct 08, 2017, 06.44 pm by Dieselboy

• Offline Crosstourer_pt

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    34

Offline Crosstourer_pt

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: CT-Dct e CBR XX
    • City / Town: Viseu
    Re: Powering the accessories
    Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2017, 08.19 pm
    Oct 08, 2017, 08.19 pm

I have  R & G protectors for sale semi-new - 200 €

• Offline Dieselboy

• Topic Author

Offline Dieselboy

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2017, 08.39 pm
    Oct 08, 2017, 08.39 pm
    Thanks but my funds are committed and parts are on their way.

• Offline Dieselboy

• Topic Author

Offline Dieselboy

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2017, 09.43 am
    Oct 09, 2017, 09.43 am
    For the final prep of this stage I'm laying in wires to accommodate a voltmeter and the Orange TPMS.  The top gauge is the TPMS receiver. I'm waiting for the actual unit to arrive.  (The items in the pictures are non-functional but will allow me to decide on configuraftion.)

I repurposed the mounting base from my Fuzeblock to create a stable purchase for the two guages. 

A drilled hole passes cabling through the bottom louver on the right side of the dashboard.

I will use 3M car trim tape to afix everything together.

Grounds for both are run to the bolt on the left side of the neck.  They are installed in this pic and are, happily, rather hard to see. 

Please excuse the background clutter.  I had not intended to publish this pic when taken so it's slightly cluttered visually. This is the view of my cockpit.  The TPMS and voltmeter are to the right of the OEM instrument cluster.

Positive power lines are run from the rear of the bike and are currently coiled under the right side panel and forward of the ABS pump. 

My goal this weekend was to get all of the add on items wired to a degree that would preclude me from having to lift the tank again.  Not that lifting the tank is tough but snaking all the wires through is a bit time consuming.  That is all done now. 

• Offline capobob

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    463

Offline capobob

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 2015 HighlanderT
    • City / Town: SE London/Kent
    Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2017, 08.33 am
    Oct 10, 2017, 08.33 am
     :460: I've never seen a CT so naked...Congratulations on a tidy install!
    It all started with a 1959 Vespa 125 Super.......
    KMX125 KMX200 DRBIG 750 TDM800 R1100RS CAPONORD VARADERO.......

• Offline Dieselboy

• Topic Author

Offline Dieselboy

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2017, 09.16 am
    Oct 10, 2017, 09.16 am
    Thanks!  :028:

Now if I can just find that dropped right side tank retaining bolt..... :157:

• Offline Dieselboy

• Topic Author

Offline Dieselboy

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2017, 03.19 pm
    Oct 15, 2017, 03.19 pm
    Significant progress.   :002:

R&G adventure bars and radiator guard were delivered via Revzilla so I was able to mount my driving lights (Vision X Solstices).

• Offline Dieselboy

• Topic Author

Offline Dieselboy

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2017, 04.32 pm
    Oct 15, 2017, 04.32 pm
    I did find a couple of “gifts” left by the dealership during this bike’s first/last service.

They lost a shoulder washer for the right side radiator shroud. I discovered that as I was mounting the radiator guard.

I have a replacement washer on order.  I must say those little guys jump out very easily.   I chased more than one around the garage this weekend myself.

And

They cross threaded the rear most bolt that holds the DCT cover in place. I noticed it because it was stiff coming out when I was mounting the adventure bars.

Unfortunately, I didn't think to capture a picture of the threads.  I was focused on fixing it. I chased the threads using an M6 tap and die.  All fixed.

And

They scratched the rear rim during the tire change.

That has buffed out somewhat.  Truth be told I will likely do similarly well as I do all my own tire changes. It happens.

Although I was part of the process when the dealership did this service, helping to move and pick up the machine, I did not actually own the bike at that time.  So I have no legal recourse against the dealership, not that it is significant (excepting the rim perhaps).  However, these issues equate to a lack of professionalism.  This causes me to lose confidence and consequently, they have lost my business (and likely others).

To close this post on a positive note, I'm happy with the machine.  It is definitely a love hate relationship regarding all the setup work involved to make it the traveling companion I need.   But it is a great way to get to know the bike.
    Last Edit: Oct 15, 2017, 04.36 pm by Dieselboy