Author Topic: To twin or to tour.  (Read 6074 times)

• Offline Speedytwin

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    7
    • Topic Author

Offline Speedytwin

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    To twin or to tour.
    on: Oct 07, 2017, 11.09 pm
    Oct 07, 2017, 11.09 pm
    Hi folks. I'm currently riding a CRF AT at the moment and I've been considering changing to a CT. has anyone here made the same change ?

• Offline Maritimer

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    171

Offline Maritimer

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
    • City / Town: Moncton,N.B.
    Re: To twin or to tour.
    Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2017, 03.00 pm
    Oct 10, 2017, 03.00 pm
    I have a 2016 CT and  a I am very happy with the bike. The reason I selected the CT over the AT is that I don't do off road to the point that I need an AT or a more off-road capable bike.
    This bike will take me anywhere I want to go.

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2017, 03.23 pm
    Oct 10, 2017, 03.23 pm
    *Originally Posted by geirvmax [+]
    Hi folks. I'm currently riding a CT at the moment and I've been considering changing to a CRF AT. has anyone here made the same change ?

Yes I have due to back problems and the CT was just getting to heavy for me and I also needed DCT (left foot injury). If I did not have those problems I would have kept the CT. In  'On two wheels' section I have written about my first impressions of the AT.
    Bill

• Offline geirvmax

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    23

Offline geirvmax

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: Honda VFR1200X D
    • City / Town: Long Island, NY
    Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2017, 06.27 pm
    Oct 14, 2017, 06.27 pm
    *Originally Posted by Yasko [+]

Yes I have due to back problems and the CT was just getting to heavy for me and I also needed DCT (left foot injury). If I did not have those problems I would have kept the CT. In  'On two wheels' section I have written about my first impressions of the AT.

Had a V65 Magna a while back, so I know and love the V4. The motor on the VFR 1200X is great and I really appreciate the DCT. But
    But the bike is so heavy.

My main bike for many years was the Yamaha Vmax. So, again, the motor is great. But shouldn't it produce some more power? My 1988 Yamaha Vmax (VMX1200) had 145 HP.

???

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2017, 07.41 am
    Oct 15, 2017, 07.41 am
    The AT is just under a 1000cc and although some adventure bikes this size might be more powerful than the AT it still has adequate power. It is at about 4000 revs at 70 mph with single rider. The main difference engine wise to the CT for me is lower torque noticeable when overtaking however this can be compensated for by using a lower gear. Fifth gear at 70 mph will be enough to easily pass  traffic if necessary but the CT could achieve that in 6th gear. Also one further point I have noticed is that the AT is not as stable in high winds (single rider) compared to the CT. However it is lighter and more economical even with spirited riding.
    Bill

• Offline Plane Dr

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    223

Offline Plane Dr

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200xDCT
    • City / Town: DFW Metromess
    Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2017, 01.30 pm
    Oct 19, 2017, 01.30 pm
    I went with the CT for (due to?) the large number of highway miles to get anywhere from Dallas.  I did not want to compromise higher speed handling and performance by going to a more off road oriented twin.  It doesn't have the starbucks cred to keep up with the BMW crowd.

But in all honesty I am not doing significant off highway riding.  If I need to I can always slap on a set of TKC80's and get by.  In my mind if I am truly going off road I'll take a dirt bike.  I really do like the AT.  Were it not for the high mileage etc I would have gone with one as I love the DCT.

That all said I am taking a shine to the intake growl, and the fact it has more power than most of the street bikes I've owned.  I really think if they would have left the F model power in the CT it would have compromised many of the good manners it has.  Although I wouldn't be against flipping a 50HP switch.
    Bikes are like women.  What you want and what you think you want change after the first ride.

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2017, 02.19 pm
    Oct 19, 2017, 02.19 pm
    The CT is the best bike for your highways and I fully agree with your view regarding the 'F' model power.
    Bill

• Offline AussieKiwi

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    90

Offline AussieKiwi

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2017, 07.50 pm
    Nov 17, 2017, 07.50 pm
    I Currently have both a 2012 CT and a 2016 AT.

Love the CT V4, but if I could only keep one of them it would be the AT. :)
    2012 VFR1200X Cross Tourer
    2016 CRF1000 Africa Twin
    2008 ABS XL1000V Varadero
    1997 XRV 750 Africa Twin