Author Topic: Valve clearance check at 16,000 miles  (Read 11252 times)

Offline jimmysimpson

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Fochabers
Re: Valve clearance check at 16,000 miles
Reply #32 on: February 16, 2019, 10:00:38 AM
Well, I change oil and filter around 7,000 miles and add Militec 1 every second change. Bike now has 46,000  miles and valve clearances have never been checked, no noise and no exhaust flutter, this thing runs sweet.  Just saying. :062:

Offline Big-red

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Parafield Garden
Reply #33 on: October 01, 2020, 03:43:37 AM
Hi All
My bike is now at 54k I've had my valve clearances checked twice by 2 different dealers and both times they have not required any adjustment. I dont ride it hard but it does get ridden. If tolerances haven't changed to this point they wont change now, that motor is well and truely settled.
At 62 years and now retired my GSXR had become increasingly more uncomfortable on my rides, buying the Crosstourer is a better fit to my retired body. Absolutely love it, although the transition from sports bike to soft and smooth will take a while to adopt to.

Online Plane Dr

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200xDCT
  • City / Town: DFW Metromess
Reply #34 on: October 15, 2020, 06:56:14 PM
So I piped in in the first page.  The first check is the one that matters to me.  Modern engines unless BMW or Desmo are pretty settled.

Covid killed my mileage.  Just cracked 20K miles.  I'm honestly not worried about the second check.  If I made it there I would have had it done for free "ish".  I still managed to get the value out of the pre pay maintenance maybe a little short but oh well.  All new fluids, valves checked I'm good for awhile.  Maintenance I wouldn't normally do this early but a good start to life for the girl.  If I skip a valve check I still have 30K miles before it's a concern to me.
Bikes are like women.  What you want and what you think you want change after the first ride.

Offline djordjeVfr1200x

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #35 on: October 15, 2020, 08:14:32 PM
Does anyone have a manual with guidance and specification for valves and how to perform check and adjust the valves?
And what clearances should valves have?

Thank you.

arab-exile