Author Topic: Up and back again.  (Read 2038 times)

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074
    • Topic Author

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Up and back again.
    on: Sep 06, 2017, 09.59 pm
    Sep 06, 2017, 09.59 pm
    A couple of mates of mine were all set for a biking holiday in Scotland. The plan was to  ride up to Glasgow for a night then onto Loch Ness to meet up with a group of about 6 other guys for 5 days.
     Id decided that id ride with them to Glasgow on Friday then on Saturday join them as far as Spean Bridge where we’d say our goodbyes and id make my way to the Cairngorms then turn south and ride home over two days using mostly A roads recommended in the Bikers Britain book and finding somewhere to stay overnight when I felt like stopping.
    That was the plan, however the organisers of the Scotland trip pulled the plug with about two weeks to go. We’d already got the hotel in Glasgow booked so we decided to try to make something of it.
    Back into the BB book and I came up with a shorter route with accommodation I could book in advance for the 3 of us.
    We left Northampton at 8.00am Friday morning, Pete on a GS1200, Chris on a Royal Enfield Continental GT and me on the CT.

After a brief stop for a coffee on the M6 by 12.30 we were pulling in the Toll bar café in Gretna for lunch.

Id planned 3 different routes to Glasgow from Gretna, varying in mileage and time. The weather was glorious and we’d made good time so over a lovely lunch enjoyed sitting in the sunshine we opted for the longest (and best).

From Gretna we took the A75 to Crocketford, then right onto the 712. What a fantastic road this is, we were supposed to take the 713 about half way along but after a quick discussion we decided it was so good that we would do the rest of the 712 then turn around and come back to the 713.

It was then onto Ayr and then Glasgow for our night stop. The afternoon had given a little taster of what was to come.

After a good breakfast we were on our way again. East to Peebles, Selkirk, then south to Hawick, Saughtree, Kielder, Chollerford, then back west to Alston. Over Hartside pass,stopping for lunch at the cafe.

Then onto Penrith and into the Lakes to do Wrynose and Hardknott passes.

The ride back east along the south of the lakes was surprisingly good, I’d just put a direct route back to Kendal and onto our night stop in Garsdale Head, but this road was brilliant. (Barring the episode in Kendal I posted elsewhere).   We arrived at the pub we were staying at around 6.00. I have to say, Ive been very lucky to ride in some amazing places but this days ride was up there, absolutely brilliant day with every kind of road you could think of, all of it under blue skies.

Sunday was a little cloudier from the start. We headed to Hawes then south though the Dales to Skipton and Hebden Bridge.

From Hebdon Bridge to around Holme was just hard work, didn’t get that bit of the route right but once we were on the Woodhead it picked up again.

Onto Glossop, Snake Pass, Ladybower and eventually Matlock. Chris was meeting some friends from the Enfield group in Matlock to have a couple of days in the area so we said goodbye to him and Pete and myself headed for home.

950 miles in 3 days and some brilliant places, roads and a great weekend.

The CT, as normal took it all in its stride, as did Pets GS but Chris’s little Continental GT with its mighty 29 BHP proved you can tour on anything if you want to.

Last Edit: Sep 06, 2017, 10.02 pm by Hartley

• Offline Dave56   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1794

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Grantham
    Re: Up and back again.
    Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2017, 11.01 pm
    Sep 06, 2017, 11.01 pm
    Sounds like a cracking few days Paul, really enjoyed the report and a great set of pics. Thanks for posting. :028:
    "The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2017, 06.20 am
    Sep 07, 2017, 06.20 am
    Good report and photos, thanks for posting and as ever I wish I could do these tours that's why these reports are enjoyable.
    Bill

• Offline Fatsam47

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    322

Offline Fatsam47

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2017, 09.53 pm
    Sep 07, 2017, 09.53 pm
    Nice report, you linked up some cracking roads with weather gods smiling.  :028:

• Offline slomogadgie   scotland

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master  ‐    1233

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Olde School CT
    • City / Town: Peternapper
    Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2017, 07.12 am
    Sep 08, 2017, 07.12 am
    nice. Well done
    What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

• Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    592

Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFR1200X DCT
    • City / Town: Holywell
    Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2017, 12.36 am
    Sep 11, 2017, 12.36 am
    Great write up and pictures   :062:
    Puch125, CD175, CB175, C90, CB100, CB900, VF750, K100, CBR1000, CBR1000, DR650SE, RF900R, Bayliner, RF900R, Super Blackbird, Piaggio X9 125, Burgman 650, Hayabusa, VFR1200F, VFR1200X, F800 GT,

• Offline pistnbroke   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1572

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: crosstourer
    • City / Town: Irby
    Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2017, 09.28 pm
    Oct 01, 2017, 09.28 pm
    Great pics and the weather treated you good.
    Thanks for posting Hartley.  :028: :031:
    keep it shiny side up !!!

• Offline BRITINFRANCE   fr

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    540

Offline BRITINFRANCE

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 2016 Crosstourer
    • City / Town: SAINT MAXIME
    Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2017, 09.17 pm
    Oct 03, 2017, 09.17 pm
    Super reporting well detailed with some stunning photos, its so good when the skies are blue , doubles the fun of biking  :305:
    Lambretta125 (1950's) Honda SS125, BSA650 Road Rocket, Husquvana390 motocross, Honda CR480 motocross, Honda NC700X, Honda VFR1200X,

arab-exile