Author Topic: K&N and BMC  (Read 5197 times)

• Offline Gaz

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    13
    • Topic Author

Offline Gaz

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Brisbane
    K&N and BMC
    on: Sep 04, 2017, 10.47 pm
    Sep 04, 2017, 10.47 pm
    Has anyone been able to compare the K&N air filter to the BMC one? Is one of better quality than the other and are they better than the OEM filter? :305:

• Offline Fredz   au

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    118

Offline Fredz

• Crosstourer Pro
    Re: K&N and BMC
    Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2017, 12.56 am
    Sep 05, 2017, 12.56 am
    They are both better at letting more air and dust thru.  Do your bike and yourself a favour and stick with the genuine article. 

• Offline 2rule

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    16

Offline 2rule

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: Honda VFR 1200 X
    • City / Town: Istanbul
    Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2017, 08.20 am
    Sep 05, 2017, 08.20 am
    *Originally Posted by Fredz [+]
    They are both better at letting more air and dust thru.  Do your bike and yourself a favour and stick with the genuine article.

what kind of damage my bike would take if i use k&n air filter? i bought one but haven't installed it yet. if you can infrom us, i would be much thankful :)
    Istanbul - Turkey

• Offline Fredz   au

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    118

Offline Fredz

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2017, 08.45 am
    Sep 05, 2017, 08.45 am
    Air filters that are advertised as 'more air flow' or 'more power' have less restriction than OEM filters.  They actually do let more air in and this may sightly increase measurable HP, since HP is measured at wide open throttle (WOT).  The downside is that more dust enters the cylinders all the time causing more wear of piston rings and cylinder walls.  This goes unnoticed over time but is evident when an engine is inspected internally, or at least the 'clean' side of the air induction system is compared to an engine with stock filter, other things being equal.  Such filters do as their manufacturers say, but it comes at a price I personally am not prepared to pay even if I'm not going to keep the bike long term - it's against my 'religion.'  If an owner can actually feel some improvement when such a filter is in place, it will only be at WOT, but I don't really care what s/he does to her/his bike.  Here endeth the lesson.   
    :031:

So, will you notice any long term damage to your bike?  Probably not as you probably won't keep it long enough.

• Offline 2rule

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    16

Offline 2rule

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: Honda VFR 1200 X
    • City / Town: Istanbul
    Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2017, 08.49 am
    Sep 05, 2017, 08.49 am
    *Originally Posted by Fredz [+]
    Air filters that are advertised as 'more air flow' or 'more power' have less restriction than OEM filters.  They actually do let more air in and this may sightly increase measurable HP, since HP is measured at wide open throttle (WOT).  The downside is that more dust enters the cylinders all the time causing more wear of piston rings and cylinder walls.  This goes unnoticed over time but is evident when an engine is inspected internally, or at least the 'clean' side of the air induction system is compared to an engine with stock filter, other things being equal.  Such filters do as their manufacturers say, but it comes at a price I personally am not prepared to pay even if I'm not going to keep the bike long term - it's against my 'religion.'  If an owner can actually feel some improvement when such a filter is in place, it will only be at WOT, but I don't really care what s/he does to her/his bike.  Here endeth the lesson.   
    :031:

So, will you notice any long term damage to your bike?  Probably not as you probably won't keep it long enough.

thank you very much for the detailed information Fredz, it's much appreciated  :020:
    Istanbul - Turkey

• Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    375

Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200XD
    Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2017, 01.37 pm
    Sep 05, 2017, 01.37 pm
    well thats an watertight opinion..... :114:
    The K&N filters work totally different, you have to oil the filter so any/most dust will get stuck into the oil.
    The OEM filters have more layers so dust will eventually get stuck in some layer.
    I cannot say which one is better.
    But I do know all offroad-(dust!)-bikes use filters with oiled foam, partly because those filters can become wet and still do the job, for several years, and partly because of the sticky characteristics of oil.
    In the past I've done some Sahara car driving and we lubricated all parts of the airfilter-house to catch most dust parts, because the Nissan Petrol OEM filters didnt filter the smallest Sahara dust parts.

• Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    764

Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFR1200XSE White
    Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2017, 03.50 pm
    Sep 05, 2017, 03.50 pm
    I really dont see any advantage of using a K&N - the performance boost will be negligible   :028:
    Yam YDS7,Suzuki T350 Rebel,Kawasaki 350 S2, Suzuki GT550, Kawasaki H1B 500, Kawasaki H2 750, Kawasaki Z1 900, Suzuki RE5 (stolen) Matchless 350 Trials, Kawasaki GTR 1000, ZZR1100C3, ZZR1100D2, Honda 900 Bandit, Suzuki SV1000K5 SZ, Honda Blackbird x 2, Honda Varadero 1000 - Honda CT

• Online Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2017, 05.11 pm
    Sep 05, 2017, 05.11 pm
     :0461: and how many of us mere mortals can realistically use the full potential of our bikes.

arab-exile