Author Topic: Luggage  (Read 2384 times)

• Offline pete fairbairn

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    424
    • Topic Author

Offline pete fairbairn

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: crosstourer dct
    • City / Town: york
    Luggage
    on: Aug 20, 2017, 10.29 am
    Aug 20, 2017, 10.29 am
    Just a thought has anyone used soft luggage on any bike, iam looking for reasons not to bin CT DCT for AF DCT, we tour with three boxs and tank bag. THe boxes are heavy on there own,WE plan to tour for 8 weeks so need plenty of capacity. One bag for legal prescription drugs .
    mafakin

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Re: Luggage
    Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2017, 11.12 am
    Aug 20, 2017, 11.12 am
    Have used them in the past Pete on my XJR before i got hard cases. Obviously not as secure and easy as hard cases but as you say they are a lot lighter. id guess youre going to save about 15 to 20 kilos going for soft bags.

There is some really good soft bags and mounting systems on the market now.

• Offline VfuRry   gb

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    219

Offline VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200XDH
    • City / Town: Ashbourne
    Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2017, 11.37 am
    Aug 20, 2017, 11.37 am
    I weighed the OE panniers and topbox, and they're around 15kg empty. So, assuming maybe 2-3kg for soft bags (empty), you'd save about 12-13kg in weight.  The SW-Motech ones are about the same weight as the OE.

Many years ago, I used soft pannier bags on my Z1100R1 and they were ok, but the ones I used had several disadvantages: a) they had to be removed when parking out of sight or staying at accommodation (less secure), b) they shifted around, and the base of one of the bags got burnt on the exhaust, c) the connecting band across the pillion seat made it less comfortable for the then Mrs VFuRry, d) less waterproof.  But, they're probably better nowadays than they were.

I think the only advantages were cost and weight (though I wasn't particularly bothered about that, at the time), and that they were available (I didn't find any other solutions for that bike at the time; either that or I thought they were too expensive).

Over the years I've had magnetic, strap-on and tank-ring mounted tank bags.  The best I've had is the current one, which mounts via a tank ring (Bags Connection / SW-Motech).  Convenient, low faff-factor, and doesn't scratch the tank.

• Offline harmony

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    231

Offline harmony

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2017, 01.05 pm
    Aug 20, 2017, 01.05 pm
    I used to use Cargo Endurance and Oxford stuff.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ENDURANCE-CAR003-PANNIERS-MOTORCYCLE-MOTORBIKE/dp/B00B28CG0Q

I would recommend the cargo endurance over the oxford as you can pack more stuff in.  Oxford stuff, while durable and long lasting always seemed a bit stiff and less able to flex when packing stuff in.  They should also be cheaper second hand on ebay.

I agree with the other comment though.  Compared to hard panniers and a big givi top box, throwovers are a pain.

My cargo endurance ones were great in the fact that you could put the crossover panel under the pillion seat and then just clip the bags on to the side, but they were still a pain to stop them resting on the exhaust or just generally rubbing the paintwork.

Have you looked at the bags that you can attach to the engine bars?

The other company worth looking at would be ventura.

https://www.ventura-bike.co.uk/fitments/Honda/1189-vfr_1200x_crosstourer_.aspx
    deadmeercats

• Offline nirav24x7

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    1

Offline nirav24x7

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Bike: VFR1200X DCT
    • City / Town: Croydon
    Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2017, 10.54 pm
    Aug 20, 2017, 10.54 pm
    I've had soft panniers on my bike and I can say that I find the hard panniers better for security and the volume of stuff they can hold. 

The soft pannier have a smaller total volume that they can hold compared to the hard panniers, but this doesn't mean you can pack hard panniers with extra heavy things as their is a maximum weight for the content in each pannier as well as the bike.

I used the CT panniers and Givi Outback trekker top-box and baggster tank bag for touring as it gives me secure storage and stability when fully loaded.  I've ridden with this setup all over Europe and also took it to the Stella Alpine Rally.

I think I could have swapped out the CT hard panniers for Soft panniers with minimal impact as long as I had them strapped down properly, but that can be a hassle, having to re-secure them every day.  Just make sure you take extra straps/bungee cords to secure them fully and have spares in case they break or you lose one.

If I was going for 8 weeks I would take hard panniers and strap fully water proof drybags on top of the panniers if you need more storage with less weight.

Hope that helps  :002:

Last Edit: Aug 20, 2017, 10.56 pm by nirav24x7

• Offline pete fairbairn

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    424
    • Topic Author

Offline pete fairbairn

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: crosstourer dct
    • City / Town: york
    Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2017, 07.58 pm
    Aug 21, 2017, 07.58 pm
    Cheers the wife just told me she feels safer with hard side boxes for me to use as stabilisers when we fall off, ha ha
    mafakin

• Offline pistnbroke   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1572

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: crosstourer
    • City / Town: Irby
    Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2017, 05.21 pm
    Aug 27, 2017, 05.21 pm
    Wife has sense of humour too hey.  :028:
    I used soft luggage and a small tank bag on my Blackbird when i went solo.
    Handy for transporting at destinations.
    Ive still got them but havent used them on the CT yet.   :028:
    keep it shiny side up !!!

• Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    592

Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFR1200X DCT
    • City / Town: Holywell
    Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2017, 09.50 am
    Sep 02, 2017, 09.50 am
    Mrs F has a similar view to my other half.
    Along with occasional screams and pokes in the ribs she is entirely confident in my riding ability  :084:
    FWIW I am not a fan of soft luggage except for occasional solo use, but I am sure I saw a soft luggage-rigid mount system somewhere ...
    Puch125, CD175, CB175, C90, CB100, CB900, VF750, K100, CBR1000, CBR1000, DR650SE, RF900R, Bayliner, RF900R, Super Blackbird, Piaggio X9 125, Burgman 650, Hayabusa, VFR1200F, VFR1200X, F800 GT,