Author Topic: Tyres, or what?  (Read 1889 times)

• Offline VfuRry   gb

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    219
    • Topic Author

Offline VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200XDH
    • City / Town: Ashbourne
    Tyres, or what?
    on: Aug 19, 2017, 09.50 am
    Aug 19, 2017, 09.50 am
    Yesterday, I was riding along a country lane that had just had a soaking from one of the many showers.

I rode through a long-ish puddle, and the bike's rear end drifted sideways a bit. This was accompanied by an audible increase in revs, as traction was lost momentarily.  The bike was in Drive mode, and TCS mode 1. I'm not sure if the TCS brought the revs back down, or whether that just happened as traction was re-established towards the end of the puddle.  It recovered quickly, with no intervention from me.  I might have been applying a bit more power at the time, but I wasn't doing it harshly.  I think the puddle seemed clear, without diesel on it (however, that road has had diesel spilt on it recently).  There are no white lines or banding on that road.

The bike has Bridgestone Battle Wings, well scrubbed with 450 miles on them. Suspension is set as Veejay's settings, but backed off a couple of clicks ACW on rear rebound.

It spooked me a bit, and I selected T3 (in case that would help) and rode home quite gingerly after that.  I'm bound to compare every experience on the CT with my previous bike, the VFR1200F, and I don't recall ever having that sort of thing happen riding that (although my memory could be faulty).

Thoughts?  Is it the tyres? Or what?  I don't think it could've been me, because I wasn't really doing anything except sitting on the bike while it was going in a straight line, although (as I've said) I might've applied a bit of throttle at that time.

TIA

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Re: Tyres, or what?
    Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2017, 05.16 pm
    Aug 19, 2017, 05.16 pm
    Aquaplaning or hydroplaning by the tires of a road vehicle, aircraft or other wheeled vehicle occurs when a layer of water builds between the wheels of the vehicle and the road surface, leading to a loss of traction that prevents the vehicle from responding to control inputs. (Source Google). Could that be what happened Dave, although D mode is a very placid with regard to acceleration.
    Bill

• Offline Buckr

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    291

Offline Buckr

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200X-DCT
    • City / Town: Walkington
    Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2017, 05.27 pm
    Aug 19, 2017, 05.27 pm
    It's probably the tyres.
    That's why I took the Battlewings off one of my CT's after about 600 miles.  Terrible rubber in the wet (not particularly good in the dry !) especially when riding "with spirit"
    Had Pirelli's and Michelins since with no problems whatsoever.
    If it ain't fun don't do it !

• Offline VfuRry   gb

• Topic Author

Offline VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2017, 05.28 pm
    Aug 19, 2017, 05.28 pm
    *Originally Posted by Yasko [+]
    Aquaplaning or hydroplaning by the tires of a road vehicle, aircraft or other wheeled vehicle occurs when a layer of water builds between the wheels of the vehicle and the road surface, leading to a loss of traction that prevents the vehicle from responding to control inputs. (Source Google). Could that be what happened Dave, although D mode is a very placid with regard to acceleration.

Yes, that's what I'm wondering, and whether the Bridgestones have a tendency to do that, rather than maybe expelling the water via their tread?

• Offline VfuRry   gb

• Topic Author

Offline VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2017, 05.33 pm
    Aug 19, 2017, 05.33 pm
    *Originally Posted by Buckr [+]
    It's probably the tyres.
    That's why I took the Battlewings off one of my CT's after about 600 miles.  Terrible rubber in the wet (not particularly good in the dry !) especially when riding "with spirit"
    Had Pirelli's and Michelins since with no problems whatsoever.

Wow, that bad?  I'll be sure to take it easy, then, at least in the wet.  Not sure how I feel about ditching tyres with so little use out of them, however considering the potential consequences...

Question is, what to replace with? If it's not screens, seats and suspension that somehow always need to be changed from OE, it's tyres.

• Offline Buckr

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    291

Offline Buckr

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200X-DCT
    • City / Town: Walkington
    Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2017, 06.26 pm
    Aug 19, 2017, 06.26 pm
    Ahh ! The joys of motorcycle ownership ???
     :164:
    If it ain't fun don't do it !

• Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    592

Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master
    • City / Town: East Sussex
    Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2017, 06.48 pm
    Aug 19, 2017, 06.48 pm
    Original bridgestone are rubbish in the wet!