Author Topic: Riding and camping in Wales - advice needed  (Read 1940 times)

• Offline domx

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    21
    • Topic Author

Offline domx

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Riding and camping in Wales - advice needed
    on: Aug 09, 2017, 10.04 am
    Aug 09, 2017, 10.04 am
    I've got a month off work (don't ask!) so want to get away for a couple of days into the Welsh mountains and do some camping.  Can anyone recommend a good spot for camping where the bike/kit will be safe and there's a town or pub nearby that I can walk to for a pie and pint?

I was thinking of heading up towards the Elan Valley or through the Brecons, but am open to ideas.

Cheers,
    Dom.

• Offline MartinDT

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    22

Offline MartinDT

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
    • City / Town: Monmouth
    Re: Riding and camping in Wales - advice needed
    Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2017, 10.40 am
    Aug 09, 2017, 10.40 am
    Rhayader is a good base for some superb riding. There is a campsite just outside town, haven't used it as I live an hour away but it looks good from the road. Enjoy, do check that the weather forecast is ok!!
    Always heading for the mountains

• Offline domx

• Topic Author

Offline domx

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2017, 01.55 pm
    Aug 09, 2017, 01.55 pm
    *Originally Posted by MartinDT [+]
    Rhayader is a good base for some superb riding. There is a campsite just outside town, haven't used it as I live an hour away but it looks good from the road. Enjoy, do check that the weather forecast is ok!!

Thanks Martin....will do  :002:

• Offline Slidy

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    116

Offline Slidy

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Crosstourer, S10
    Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2017, 03.47 pm
    Aug 09, 2017, 03.47 pm
    Just over the border with easy access into mid Wales, and surrounded by good biking roads is 'Doms Bike Stop'.
    He has camping, food all day (except Monday), fire bowls or open fire pits, has late night opening on Tuesday with Live music (0n occasion), and a licensed bar for groups etc.

We quite often start/meet here for day trips around Wales. Brecon beacons, and Elan Valley are both less than an hours ride away.

Search for Doms Bike Stop on facebook for location, and here's the trip advisor link:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g503875-d6783995-Reviews-Doms_Bike_Stop-Leominster_Herefordshire_England.html

If you decide to stay here give me a call and I could meet up for a ride one day :152:

• Offline domx

• Topic Author

Offline domx

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2017, 03.59 pm
    Aug 09, 2017, 03.59 pm
    *Originally Posted by Slidy [+]
    Just over the border with easy access into mid Wales, and surrounded by good biking roads is 'Doms Bike Stop'.
    He has camping, food all day (except Monday), fire bowls or open fire pits, has late night opening on Tuesday with Live music (0n occasion), and a licensed bar for groups etc.

We quite often start/meet here for day trips around Wales. Brecon beacons, and Elan Valley are both less than an hours ride away.

Search for Doms Bike Stop on facebook for location, and here's the trip advisor link:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g503875-d6783995-Reviews-Doms_Bike_Stop-Leominster_Herefordshire_England.html

If you decide to stay here give me a call and I could meet up for a ride one day :152:

Cheers Slidy.... looks great, especially as my name's Dom  :001:  Will deffo let you know when I head up there!

Dom.

• Offline Slidy

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    116

Offline Slidy

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Crosstourer, S10
    Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2017, 04.02 pm
    Aug 09, 2017, 04.02 pm
    *Originally Posted by domx [+]
    Cheers Slidy.... looks great, especially as my name's Dom  :001:  Will deffo let you know when I head up there!

Dom.

No problem. If you want to get in touch with Dom to arrange just let me know and I can message you his number.

• Offline Fat Bert   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    834

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
    • City / Town: Tenby
    Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2017, 05.19 pm
    Aug 10, 2017, 05.19 pm
    Have a look at July/Aug issue of ABR mag [Google it]

It's got a cracking mid/north Wales ride - I'm planning on doing it over 2 days and I live in Wales!

Covers 220 miles which you could do in 1 days but spread it out over 2 or even 3 days and REALLY explore the landscape

Camping and Bunkhouse options are all available online

Can't guarantee the weather though - but that's Wales for you - boyyo

Hope that helps?
    "Team Fat Bert" Racing