Author Topic: My bad experience with first time I've fitted a tall screen on my bike  (Read 3158 times)

• Offline Paul82

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    56
    • Topic Author

Offline Paul82

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2012 VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Yanchep
    My bad experience with first time I've fitted a tall screen on my bike
    on: Aug 09, 2017, 05.23 am
    Aug 09, 2017, 05.23 am
    I’ve been riding bikes for 16 years & I have never had a tall screen fitted to any of the motorcycle’s I’ve owned. (Honda XR250, XR400, KTM LC4 640 Supermoto, Tiger 1050, Now the Crosstourer) I always preferred to have a bike with no screen, or a small screen & let the wind hit me below my helmet. I don’t like the look of tall screens. & One would have to get a Very tall screen to avoid buffeting of the helmet.

I must be getting old, I recently changed my mind, getting tired of the constant blast of wind noise from the standard small CT screen.

So I bought a PUIG touring screen on eBay, fitted it, but it was still too short, it directed wind straight into the top of my helmet, no good...

So I decided to order a Laminar Lip & I fitted it to the top of the Puig screen…  It was then pretty much perfect! It threw the wind higher up over my helmet, no more wind noise at all! (though I find it slightly off putting, the top of the screen being so close to my line of vision. But just something to get used to)
    So much nicer to ride not getting wind blasted. Nice & QUIET! I can actually hear the engine very well! Very VERY happy with it!!...  :001:

Very happy with it until… I rode in the rain!!! OMG It was a nightmare!!  :172:
    I’m used to getting wind blasted from the short screen & in the rain that wind would constantly blow the rain off my helmet visor & I had no problems with fog while riding. But a few mornings ago I had to ride to the airport in the rain (1 hour ride in constant rain). The Laminar lip & tall screen throw the wind over the top of my helmet, but it doesn’t stop the rain going straight onto my helmet visor. & because I have no wind blasting me anymore, the rain just sits there on my visor distorting my vision majorly! & the FOG!! Omg, the inside of my visor Fogged up like it has never fogged up before! Even while riding at 100kmph! It was unbearable! I was constantly wiping the water off the outside of the visor & struggling to wipe the inside of the visor with my big winter gloves.

I couldn't see sh#t!! I couldn’t see with the visor closed because of the fog, I couldn’t ride with the visor fully open, rain straight into my eyes! Slightly opened visor still too much fog, I had to settle with the visor half open, Rain pouring in onto my face, struggling looking through the bottom half of my visor with distorted vision from the curvature of the XD4 visor & the rain, constantly trying to wipe it away & failing!…  It was an absolute nightmare, very dangerous & I never want to experience that again!

I’m so sad & disappointed… I’m going to have to remove it & put my original small screen back on… Because of a problem I have never heard a person complain about & something I never thought could be a problem!  :003:

Anyone else had an experience like this?

I guess the only other solution is to get another even taller screen that throws the rain over the top of the helmet too!? But I don’t way to do that, because it would look silly & I would have to be looking through the screen while riding. Not happening… 
    Last Edit: Aug 09, 2017, 06.03 am by Paul82

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Re: My bad experience with first time I've fitted a tall screen on my bike
    Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2017, 07.01 am
    Aug 09, 2017, 07.01 am
    Riders and screens will always be a conundrum, I had the high touring screen on the CT and now have the same on the AT. I have been lucky with no wind problems whatsoever. However the rain problem with them can only be solved by wiping it away in my case. Misting up is not a problem even wearing glasses with the visor (Shoei helmets) slightly open, I don't rely on the pinlock as my glasses will steam up. Because my riding is now social only I seldom ride in the rain so I can live with having to wipe the visor. I hope you find a satisfactory solution and other members can help more.
    Bill

• Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    375

Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200XD
    Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2017, 08.12 am
    Aug 09, 2017, 08.12 am
    I know how to handle rain, I live in the Netherlands  :018:
    Pinlock screen for the inside will prevent fog for aprox 99,5%
    Rain-x on the outside of the visor so the drops will release quickly, the only thing you have to do is lean beside your Puig screen now and then to let the wind blow the drops away.
    Rain-x have to be applied regularly. Dont wipe the rain with your hands/gloves.
    You can also use carwax like Turtle wax for the outside, it does the same trick.

• Offline Paul82

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    56
    • Topic Author

Offline Paul82

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2012 VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Yanchep
    Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2017, 09.16 am
    Aug 09, 2017, 09.16 am
    Thanks for the ideas guys! I just ordered a pinlock screen! Hopefully that helps allot with the problem.

& yea I'll try RainX on the outside of the visor too. I'll keep a bottle of it in my top box to reapply it.  :028:

This is very good... I really don't want to revert back to my stock screen... Hopefully I can make this work.

The only reason I had to open the visor was because of the fog. If I can stop that & the rainX makes the water beed off quickly then I'm onto a winner!  :169:

• Offline pecker929

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    13

Offline pecker929

• Crosstourer Junior
    • City / Town: Kent
    Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2017, 09.33 pm
    Aug 09, 2017, 09.33 pm
    Yep Pinlock and stick your head out to the side of the screen to clear the rain  :002:

• Offline Fredz   au

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    118

Offline Fredz

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2017, 12.55 am
    Aug 10, 2017, 12.55 am
    Tuesday's weather was unusual, just 1 or 2 days a year like that here.     :046:

Seems like you have the answers you need.   :062:

• Offline mal 97

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    216

Offline mal 97

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 1050 Tiger Sport
    • City / Town: Yeovil
    Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2017, 05.17 pm
    Aug 15, 2017, 05.17 pm
    pinlocks great and rain x is very good but I found it did eat into the visor after a long while just like it eats into rubber wiper blades on cars after prolonged use.

• Offline VFRCTHRider

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    36

Offline VFRCTHRider

• Crosstourer Member
    Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2017, 10.13 pm
    Aug 17, 2017, 10.13 pm
    Rain X was originally designed for glass and it will eventually eat plastic. However, I noticed a month or so ago Rain X now do a version for plastic (seen in Halfords).

I've been using "Rainfree" for years and it's a game changer in wet weather. It is specifically designed for motorcycle helmet visors so no degradation issues. It also makes cleaning flies off in summer much easier. It also seems to fill in fine scratches so the visor looks new all the time and reduces reflection/glare at night. I will try the Rain X version when my Rainfree runs out.

Yes, you still need some airflow to clear the visor when wet but the fact water forms droplets means you still get a good undistorted view of the road ahead. I apply it almost every time I clean the visor, which is pretty much after every time I go out on the bike. My last visor covered over 40k miles and still looked and performed like new. I've changed my helmet since.

Fogging up - that's a different matter entirely. Pinlock seems to be the best solution aided by some airflow. Keep the inside of your visor clean but be careful with Pinlock as the plastic sheet is not as robust as the visor i.e. it is more prone to scratching. I have an MRA screen on my CT that seems to give a good compromise between airflow and minimal buffeting.