Author Topic: Rukka Armas Suit  (Read 2752 times)

• Offline slomogadgie   scotland

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master  ‐    1233
    • Topic Author

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Olde School CT
    • City / Town: Peternapper
    Rukka Armas Suit
    on: Aug 08, 2017, 12.06 pm
    Aug 08, 2017, 12.06 pm
    Well just thought I would give a little feedback on the Rukka suit I bought several months ago.

The overall feel of the suit is good and it doesn't look like an old duvet wrapped round me when I where it.

Plus:
    Fit
    Feel
    Warm (for the most part)
    Dry (for the most part) Got my neck and upper chest wet on a 35 mile ride in the rain. Probably down to me having taken the storm collar off due to.....see below:)

Deltas:
    The 'lockout' zipper. It's opened on my whilst riding down the road many times. Partly my fault (not engaging the two part correctly) and others, just by maneuvering the bike around in a car part etc. I didn't noticed that the exertion pushing an pulling the CT had cause the sides to part. Only notice once I get going and the wind blows in. Lucky for me these have been on dry days or I could have been soaked.

Storm cuffs: I like storm cuffs as it give a great seal between gloves and jacket. However, on the Armas it could be better. Even with quite chunky cuffs gloves a draft get up the sleeve and chills my wrists. It doesn't let in water, but it is annoying. It could be improved if there was a Velcro type tab to tighten the sleeve around the glove.

Storm Collar: I do like a good storm collar, sadly I'm not sure the Rukka one falls in to that category. I does come quite high up my neck all the way round, however, it really works best if you put on the jacket and do up the collar before putting your helmet on. If you don't do this, or it manages to blow open on the move....it is a begger to get it closed properly again.

Zips on the trouser legs. I've had one break of when I was trying to close it. They free very flimsy. It was fixed by the shop quickly though.

I would not expect problems with zips etc at the price level of these suits (1400 + GBP)

The question is....would I buy another rukka suit. The answer is YES., but I would chose it carefully with what my finding with the Armas in mind.
    Last Edit: Aug 08, 2017, 12.08 pm by slomogadgie
    What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

• Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    764

Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFR1200XSE White
    Re: Rukka Armas Suit
    Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2017, 12.33 pm
    Aug 08, 2017, 12.33 pm
    Thanks - gives us a bit of insight ..... :460:
    Yam YDS7,Suzuki T350 Rebel,Kawasaki 350 S2, Suzuki GT550, Kawasaki H1B 500, Kawasaki H2 750, Kawasaki Z1 900, Suzuki RE5 (stolen) Matchless 350 Trials, Kawasaki GTR 1000, ZZR1100C3, ZZR1100D2, Honda 900 Bandit, Suzuki SV1000K5 SZ, Honda Blackbird x 2, Honda Varadero 1000 - Honda CT

• Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    488

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Warrington
    Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2017, 12.42 pm
    Aug 08, 2017, 12.42 pm
    Hi Slomo,

Thanks for the review.  My twopenneth, based on my experience with my Armaxion jacket and trousers.

I've had them for over 18 months now and overall really impressed. Never had any water ingress at all (apart from a little at the collar - see below), on other suits I've ended up with a wet patch between the jacket and trousers; looks like I've wet myself! (Thinking about it, perhaps I had!), but no issues with the Rukka.

Storm collar works well for me when I've needed it.  Sometimes have a small drip at the back of the collar, but I think that's just seeping through between the neoprene and my skin after dropping off the back of my helmet. 

Armaxion doesn't use the Lockout zip, one of the reasons I went for it over the Armas as I'd read about problems with the Lockout. In fact I don't think Rukka use the Lockout zip any longer.

No problems with the trouser zips to date, fingers crossed. Feel pretty robust, so hopefully OK. There is a six year warranty, but I agree it shouldn't fail all the same.

Armaxion storm cuff has a Velcro tab too, so it possible to tighten the sleeve for the glove to go over it. That said, the labyrinth formed by the inner cuff with the outer section gives a really good water and wind seal for me. Perhaps it suits my gloves (I have Furygan summer gloves and only use Gerbing heated gloves in the winter (I'm nesh!).

Only slight negative for me is how heavy and stiff the suit is, but the flip side is it is reassuringly solid. Because of the quality and subtle features that improve safety and comfort, I agree Slomo that I would definitely buy the same again. Not for everybody but it works for me.

Cheers

Stu

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2017, 04.31 pm
    Aug 08, 2017, 04.31 pm
    Interesting reading.
    I've never owned Rukka gear, I'll be honest, I find the cost a bit prohibitive. ( maybe it lasts longer so works out better value)

I've had a few different brands over the gears , hein gericke , wolf , Alpinestar. The Wolf and Alpine have been through some torrential weather and kept me dry. Wolf performed best but fell apart after about 2 1/2 years.

Anyway, what I like about the wolf and Alpinestar is though they obviously get wet, they don't get completely sodden, so they dry out very quickly. A lot of high price suits use a waterproof removable liner next to the skin, you stay dry but the suit gets drenched so takes an age to dry.
    How does the Rukka stuff do in this respect?

• Offline slomogadgie   scotland

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master  ‐    1233
    • Topic Author

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Olde School CT
    • City / Town: Peternapper
    Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2017, 08.20 am
    Aug 09, 2017, 08.20 am
    *Originally Posted by Hartley [+]
    Interesting reading.
    I've never owned Rukka gear, I'll be honest, I find the cost a bit prohibitive. ( maybe it lasts longer so works out better value)

I've had a few different brands over the gears , hein gericke , wolf , Alpinestar. The Wolf and Alpine have been through some torrential weather and kept me dry. Wolf performed best but fell apart after about 2 1/2 years.

Anyway, what I like about the wolf and Alpinestar is though they obviously get wet, they don't get completely sodden, so they dry out very quickly. A lot of high price suits use a waterproof removable liner next to the skin, you stay dry but the suit gets drenched so takes an age to dry.
    How does the Rukka stuff do in this respect?
    Hi Hartley,
    The Armas is made from a material that seems to just let the water 'bead up' and drop off. There is no inner liner for waterproofing, it's all on the outer shell.  So it dries off really quickly once it's been taken off. I've not noticed a pool of water under the suit after hanging it up either.
    I am very happy with Rukka in general except for my comments above.
    What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

• Offline FZ1

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    261

Offline FZ1

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: CT 2012 Manual
    • City / Town: Cambridgeshire
    Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2017, 07.08 pm
    Aug 09, 2017, 07.08 pm
    There's a review by MCN here of the Armaxis/Armaxion jacket/trousers

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/product-reviews/leathers-jackets-suits/2015/december/rukka-armaxis-and-armaxion/

Cheers,

Jon

• Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    488

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
    • City / Town: Warrington
    Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2017, 07.22 am
    Aug 10, 2017, 07.22 am
    The Armas and Armaxion (and a number of other Rukka suits) are made from Goretex Pro material. This is a laminated outer layer rather than a separate Goretex membrane inside the outer shell, which isn't completely waterproof so soaks up some water. on the Pro material water is stopped by the outer layer which is why it beads off and doesn't  get soaked and heavy.

Other manufacturers make suits out of the Pro material, e.g. Klim which are nearly as exepensive as Rukka, but IMO not as good; I looked at most of them before going for Rukka. The Pro material is also quite stiff, hence part of the reason for stiffness of the suit.

Good gear is expensive, but I got mine for less than 1K.  I reckon that's less 10% of a new Crosstourer. It's guaranteed for 6 years, but should last longer. That's how I justified the cost. Still cheaper than the aggregate cost of the 3 suits that preceded the Rukka suit that I wasn't happy with.  It's like Daytona boots, there are expensive but I've had my Roadstars for over 5 years now; when I clean them, they look as good as new, never let water in and I know they are safe etc. Good vfm in the long run. Remember the Rukka suits come with armacor, D30 armour elbows shoulders and back as standard plus a load of other features as standard.

• Offline mal 97

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    216

Offline mal 97

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 1050 Tiger Sport
    • City / Town: Yeovil
    Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2017, 04.33 pm
    Aug 10, 2017, 04.33 pm
    I love my Armas it works really well. also get a bit of wind up the sleeves. storm scarf works well thoroughly tested in Italy last year. ive never experienced any bulky feeling in use but it does feel bulky standing around or walking around if that makes sense. as for cost I paid a lot less than most people due to a good friend of mine knowing the importer.
    Would I have another set.... well hopefully not for a very long time.