Author Topic: Paranoia?  (Read 3597 times)

• Offline Fat Bert   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    834
    • Topic Author

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
    • City / Town: Tenby
    Paranoia?
    on: Jul 16, 2017, 07.58 pm
    Jul 16, 2017, 07.58 pm
    Not sure if this is me but I'll ask the questions anyway..............

Problem1

Ride out today with "Bride" as pillion

She's an experienced pillion but she told me to stop as there was a high pitched whining noise coming from the back of the bike - so loud it was making her uncomfortable

Stopped and looked around - nothing seems to be catching - tyre was warm but not so hot

Nothing leaking from drive shaft and didn't feel hot to the touch

Everything seemed OK

With the engine off - coasted the bike 100 metres down the road - all running freely - no noises or friction sounds

Recently replaced rear tyre - Anakee 3 - that have only done 100 miles - seems they may have a reputation for being noisy - but that loud?

Noise seems to appear at 40-45mph

Softened the rear shocker - seems to transfer the noise to within 70-75 mph - but then after a few miles reverted back to 40-45mph

Problem 2

Many readers will be aware of the radiator problems I've had - so far so good with the Wynns "Radweld" bought in an emergency in Spain - seems to be holding well

Back home flushed water system out - several times - replaced coolant etc etc

Probably overfilled which would explain why on a long [non motorway] run system runs a bit hotter than normal and sometimes excess coolant drips out of the expansion bottle onto the road underneath via the drain tubes

Have noticed over the last couple of bimbles out that the engine housing on the clutch side [DCT] and the bike frame itself gets very hot - in fact very hot indeed

If anyone can shed some light / thoughts on these 2 problems, I'd appreciate some discussion

Thoughts?

Many thanks
    "Team Fat Bert" Racing

• Offline pistnbroke   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1572

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: crosstourer
    • City / Town: Irby
    Re: Paranoia?
    Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2017, 08.10 pm
    Jul 16, 2017, 08.10 pm
    Hi Fat Bert, could your hot engine problem be down to too much water in the system building up too much pressure some how.
    Just a thought my good man.
    Good luck with both problems.  :028: :031:
    keep it shiny side up !!!

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2017, 09.03 pm
    Jul 16, 2017, 09.03 pm
    Don't know about the heat problem Bert but noise from Anadin 3s I do know about.
    Had them on my last CT and they made a very loud howling noise. Mostly experienced it  on motorways as you may find yourself sitting within the speed range where they were at there worse.  I'm my case 65 to 75 mph.

Went to the Harz in May, one of the guys had them on his GSA. Exact same noise as I had. Shame, they're a great tyre, loads of grip, wet and dry and last forever.

• Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    488

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
    • City / Town: Warrington
    Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2017, 09.50 pm
    Jul 16, 2017, 09.50 pm
    Based on Hartleys post, sounds like it's the tyres, but another thought could be the rear hugger catching the tyre if it's sat very close. The hugger on my last bike moved slightly (thx to poor workmanship by the dealer that fitted it from new) and started to catch the tyre.

Stu

• Offline mal 97

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    216

Offline mal 97

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 1050 Tiger Sport
    • City / Town: Yeovil
    Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2017, 11.21 am
    Jul 17, 2017, 11.21 am
    cant comment on the tyre noise as I replaced like for like with my rear scorpion but I would check your cooling system for an air lock, not teaching you to suck eggs FB cos I know you are pretty competent . my blackbird needed pressure bleeding when I changed its coolant and a couple of run ups to fans cut in then cooled back down.

• Offline Fat Bert   gb

• Topic Author

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2017, 11.41 am
    Jul 17, 2017, 11.41 am
    Thanks for the input fella's - appreciate it :-)

I also thought it could well have been the noise issue with Anakee 3's as I'd read it somewhere else - however there was a def "hot bike" smell at the back - not burning but that smell you'll all recognise when you've been giving it "some berries".  On this occasion the riding was steady so it seemed strange albeit that the tyres have only really been scrubbed in

I also thought about the hugger - but it's clear enough of the back tyre and firm enough in it's fixing.  Besides if anything had been catching it would have shown signs on the tyre and when coasting with engine off, I would have heard or felt it - but the bike runs completely smoothly when coasting

Air lock?  Now that's something I hadn't thought about - but would that explain why the engine frame itself got so hot on just the side where the radiator filler is [throttle side] ?

"Team Fat Bert" Racing

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2017, 12.10 pm
    Jul 17, 2017, 12.10 pm
    Bert,

You say the rear end noise starts at a certain speed, does it go away as you go faster ,stay same  or get louder?  ( The tyres would go quiet at a certain speed, instantly.

Any play in the rear wheel? Though im sure you'd have checked/ felt that.

• Offline Fat Bert   gb

• Topic Author

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2017, 12.22 pm
    Jul 17, 2017, 12.22 pm
    *Originally Posted by Hartley [+]
    Bert,

You say the rear end noise starts at a certain speed, does it go away as you go faster ,stay same  or get louder?  ( The tyres would go quiet at a certain speed, instantly.

Any play in the rear wheel? Though im sure you'd have checked/ felt that.

The only play in the rear wheel was checked at last MOT [750 miles since] and was only very slight - passed without even an advisory as apparently on all single swing arm bikes there has to be a small element of play - in other words ...normal

The noise only appears in certain speed bands 40-45 and 70-75 - if it was bearing-related, it would be there all the time - and I would feel something through the handlebars/handling?

I'm 95% convinced its tyre noise but SWMBO aint convinced!  LOL
    and being female, she is obviously correct!

Head down - incoming!
    "Team Fat Bert" Racing

arab-exile