Author Topic: SW-Motech / Bags Connection Tank Ring?  (Read 1984 times)

• Offline VfuRry   gb

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    219
    • Topic Author

Offline VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200XDH
    • City / Town: Ashbourne
    SW-Motech / Bags Connection Tank Ring?
    on: Jul 16, 2017, 08.00 am
    Jul 16, 2017, 08.00 am
    Has anyone on here got a SW-Motech / Bags Connection EVO Tank Bag / can anyone please tell me if SW-Motech / Bags Connection do a tank ring for the CT?

It appears that the CT's filler cap ring is not the same as my VFR1200F's; I think Honda have changed this on all new models.

The new ones appear 'curvier', rather than flat, so it doesn't look as though the SW-M tank-ring I have on my 'F' would fit the CT (I'm also not sure the bolts are even the same position / quantity).

Or would the SW-M tank-ring from my 'F' fit on the CT?

I've looked at SW-Motech's (and other's) websites, but I can't tell from those.

• Offline VfuRry   gb

• Topic Author

Offline VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Re: SW-Motech / Bags Connection Tank Ring?
    Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2017, 09.21 am
    Jul 16, 2017, 09.21 am

Thank you; I didn't manage to find that.  It looks like they've produced an adaptor plate to allow the original ring to be used, but that you have to buy the plastic ring as well as the adaptor.

I wonder if they do an electric version of this kit?  My SW-M tank-ring is electric; Whatever, I think I'd be able to re-use that with the adaptor.

Edit: actually, having looked a bit closer, I realise that you have the 'ION' ring; I have the EVO.  They don't seem (I'll keep looking) to do a similar adaptor for that - unless the same adaptor would work with both ION and EVO.

Maybe I'll need to convert to ION (means changing the bit under the tank bag). Not sure if ION has electric, though...

Supposedly, the EVO tankring for the CT does fit, but I'm not convinced, when I look at their photos.
    Last Edit: Jul 16, 2017, 09.33 am by VfuRry

• Offline VfuRry   gb

• Topic Author

Offline VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2017, 11.01 am
    Jul 16, 2017, 11.01 am

I wonder if Honda have changed the CT's tank filler ring for '16 onwards, or not.

It would be great if a '14 owner and a '16 owner could post a photo, for comparison.

• Offline x11

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    146

Offline x11

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Highlander dct
    • City / Town: Lincolnshire
    Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2017, 08.01 pm
    Jul 16, 2017, 08.01 pm
    Honda changed the filler cap in 2014 early ones have 7 bolts later have 5 bolt fixings. this does mean you need different rigs for the tank bag(,Both tank rings have four holes but slightly different spaceings)

• Offline VfuRry   gb

• Topic Author

Offline VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2017, 07.08 pm
    Jul 17, 2017, 07.08 pm
    *Originally Posted by x11 [+]
    Both tank rings have four holes but slightly different spaceings)

Ah, that implies that I couldn't buy the ION ring-with-adaptor-plate, and then use the adaptor plate with my EVO ring.

I'm still in the dark as to whether or not my EVO tank ring will fit a later CT filler cap.

• Offline VfuRry   gb

• Topic Author

Offline VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Jul 25, 2017, 09.30 pm
    Jul 25, 2017, 09.30 pm
    The part number is TRT.00.640.304.  This includes a metal adaptor plate and a plastic tank-ring (and bolts, spacers, nuts).

I bought this (in readiness for my new CT), and compared the new plastic tank-ring with my old one, as used on my VFR1200F (7 hole filler cap ring). They're not the same; the four holes which mount the the new tank ring to the adaptor are positioned slightly differently to the four holes in the old tank ring.

I can see no good reason for the tank rings not being the same; they could have made the adaptor plate to line up with the old tank ring, and they could have then sold the metal adaptor separately.

It does look as though I'll be able to transfer the electrical contact block (and cable) from the old tank ring to the new one, though.

arab-exile