Author Topic: Speed cameras  (Read 4968 times)

• Offline DaveDee

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    231
    • Topic Author

Offline DaveDee

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Crosstourer1200X
    • City / Town: Liverpool
    Speed cameras
    on: Jul 09, 2017, 11.47 pm
    Jul 09, 2017, 11.47 pm
    Hey all,

Just a quick question. I over excelerated mistakenly the other day (the sun was on my dash) I noticed a parked speed camera van on the side of the road, I was not going very fast by then.
    I was just wondering how the cameras work?
    I was heading toward the camera so all they see is my front, but when I pass, then do they have a camera mounted on the front of the van to read my Reg?
    Or are they mainly aimed at cars, i.e film the front of a large vehicle and video the Reg?
    Any info, or advice on speed cameras.

Old Dogs MCC

• Offline DaveDee

• Topic Author

Offline DaveDee

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Re: Speed cameras
    Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2017, 11.56 pm
    Jul 09, 2017, 11.56 pm
    The pillar of society.

As you can see by the busy roads there is a real need for concern about speeding on saturday morning.
    Old Dogs MCC

• Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    610

Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master
    Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2017, 06.37 am
    Jul 10, 2017, 06.37 am
    Its unlikely that there will be a camera pointing both front and rear, although there is nothing stopping the camera operator from taking your number down manually as you ride by, if he is in a position to do so, or can be bothered.

• Offline Quicksy

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    46

Offline Quicksy

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: Red Crosstourer
    Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2017, 06.53 am
    Jul 10, 2017, 06.53 am
    from a friend who used to process the tickets for our area ( now working elsewhere) if you get a ticket it can be one of 2 ways,

1: the operator has watched you ride past after getting you with the speed camera unit and jots or manually enters you reg plate as he reads it go by.

2: the van has cctv cameras all round in the windows and side panels and they play the cctv on the time stamp to read your reg plate from that to tie your ticket and plate.

either way on a quiet road you will have been got but if the traffic is busy and the lanes are chocka there is a chance the operator did not read your reg with the view to other cars possibly blocking it but the chances are very remote

on the up side if the speed for the road was 50 and you were at 55 slowing the probability is you wont be done as it's grey area
    sorry to be the bearer of probably bad news.

good luck

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2017, 07.16 am
    Jul 10, 2017, 07.16 am
    Speed camera or the correct term 'Safety Camera' legislation and the rules governing their use is general throughout England. However different police forces and safety camera partnerships vary in their implementation. Your photos show a mobile police camera with the rear camera window open recording speed, mobile phone use and safety belt offences. However they can also have a front/side view camera in operation. Dependant on the camera type the range is normally under one mile distance of clear view. You will know if you have been recorded committing an offence if you receive a notice of intended prosecution (NIP). You must receive that within 14 days of the offence. It will inform you of the intention of prosecuting you and will require you to identify the driver/rider of the vehicle. Speed offence tolerance varies in each county. In Kent you are allowed 10% + 2 mile an hour above the limit before enforcement. For example 30 mile an hour limit +10% = 33 +2 = 35 therefore you would be prosecuted if the speed was 35 miles an hour or more. If you was just over the speed limit threshold and received an NIP you may be offered a speed awareness course providing you return the NIP promptly, identifying the driver/rider and pleading guilty. You are allowed only one speed awareness course in 3 years. You need to check your county's Safety Camera Partnership and/or Police web sites for more detail on their implementation and discretionary use  of safety cameras. Good luck Dave.
    Bill

• Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    488

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Warrington
    Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2017, 08.00 am
    Jul 10, 2017, 08.00 am
      :460:  Thanks Yasko

• Offline mondeoman

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    203

Offline mondeoman

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: vfr1200X
    Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2017, 10.51 am
    Jul 10, 2017, 10.51 am
    In Powys, (mid Wales) as far as I'm aware there are 2 Police (tax)   :230: camera vans in operation, they both have some gizmos in the front windows as well as the camera in the back window, the front one is a large dome shaped thing thats always pointing up the road which has to be either some fancy camera or a number plate reader , must remember to get a "flip plate"  :152:  http://www.speedflip.com/  :028:

• Offline DaveDee

• Topic Author

Offline DaveDee

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2017, 11.55 pm
    Jul 10, 2017, 11.55 pm
    Thanks guys, appreciate the info, fingers crossed the guy operating the vehicle was having a cuppa.

That flip plate looks like some James Bond gadget Mondeoman, anyone used one or got one?
    Not sure i would be quick enough on the button to flip the plate when i spotted a cam.
    Old Dogs MCC

arab-exile