Author Topic: Question about Engimoto GPS mount on 16/17 screen  (Read 6201 times)

• Offline VfuRry   gb

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    219
    • Topic Author

Offline VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200XDH
    • City / Town: Ashbourne
    Question about Engimoto GPS mount on 16/17 screen
    on: Jul 09, 2017, 11.23 am
    Jul 09, 2017, 11.23 am
    Yet another question, because I'm moving closer to buying a CT...

From the photos on the Engimoto website, it appears that the GPS mount fastens to the top of the sliders for the 2016/17 adjustable screen.

If true, then does this reduce the height the screen can be set to, on highest setting? (i.e. by obstructing, maybe the last 'detent' position?).

If it doesn't, then how is it that (what appears to be) the bolt-head for the mount doesn't get in the way?
    Last Edit: Jul 09, 2017, 12.25 pm by VfuRry

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Re: Question about Enginmoto GPS mount on 16/17 screen
    Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2017, 11.57 am
    Jul 09, 2017, 11.57 am
    Around September last year I was on the brink of getting a 16 model CT, it didn't happen.  I had the exact same concern about the Engimoto 16-17 mount.

Maybe someone with a 16-17 CT could take pic of the runner with the screen at full height to confirm wether or not the GPS mount would clash.

• Offline VfuRry   gb

• Topic Author

Offline VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Re: Question about Engimoto GPS mount on 16/17 screen
    Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2017, 07.49 am
    Jul 16, 2017, 07.49 am
    I just (yesterday) had a test-ride on a 2017 CT, so I took a closer look at the new adjustable screen mountings.

As a result, I'm pretty sure that the Engimoto mount, if fitted, would prevent the screen from being set to its highest setting.

So, if I do buy a new CT, I'll be attaching my Garmin mount via RAM hardware, either to the handlebar, or to the central column using a Telferizer (I'm hoping / expecting that the column on the CT is the same size as the 1200F's).

I think it would then be possible (especially if using the Telferizer) to position the GPS just behind the handlebar, above the ignition switch, and underneath the dash (whilst also moving freely when turning the handlebars).

I believe it would then also be possible for me to see the GPS over the top of my fully packed & extended SW-Motech / Bags Connection Sport EVO tank bag.

• Offline rdMax

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    1

Offline rdMax

• Crosstourer Junior
    Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2017, 10.57 am
    Jul 26, 2017, 10.57 am
    Hi.
    I can confirm, that Engimoto mount prevents the screen from being set to its highest setting.  :156:
    But my personal opinion is (and you should try): I am 184 cm and can hardly notice the difference in air flow between top two settings.
    I am satiefied with the mount and really satisfied with the position of the mounting plate. It doesnt vibrate at all. I handcrafted the mount for my phone and I am using it for navigation purposes until dedicated GPS come. It turns really well on my 2 kkm trip to Italy this year.

• Offline VfuRry   gb

• Topic Author

Offline VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2017, 08.43 pm
    Jul 26, 2017, 08.43 pm
    *Originally Posted by VfuRry [+]
    So, if I do buy a new CT, I'll be attaching my Garmin mount via RAM hardware, either to the handlebar, or to the central column using a Telferizer (I'm hoping / expecting that the column on the CT is the same size as the 1200F's).

I've discovered that the Telferizer from my VFR1200F doesn't fit the VFR1200X; the steering column hole appears to have a 'step' in it, about an inch down inside it, which prevents the Telferizer going in.

And, from looking at the Telferizer site, there doesn't appear to be one for the 'X'.

I've also discovered that the 'X' handlebar, between the central clamps, is of greater diameter than the RAM U-bolt I have.

So it looks like, as my Garmin mount is already wired in to the bike, I'll either have to mount it on the bar nearer one grip or the other, or get a larger U-bolt.
    Last Edit: Jul 26, 2017, 08.47 pm by VfuRry

• Offline VfuRry   gb

• Topic Author

Offline VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2017, 03.35 pm
    Jul 27, 2017, 03.35 pm
    This (see photo) is what I've done, so far, to mount my satnav.  There are some holes in the bar risers, one of which I've used for the U-bolt.  I used some self-amalgamating tape to protect the finish on the riser, and provide a bit of cushioning.

I did manage to fit the Telferizer, once I'd modified it, but it's no use there because you can't really fit a RAM arm properly (it's possible to fit a 6" long arm, but you can't position the GPS mount as well as by using the method shown in the photo).  I guess that's why they don't do a Telferizer for the CT.

Last Edit: Jul 27, 2017, 03.41 pm by VfuRry

• Offline fotodadi

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    140

Offline fotodadi

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2018, 08.50 am
    Feb 04, 2018, 08.50 am
    *Originally Posted by VfuRry [+]
    Yet another question, because I'm moving closer to buying a CT...

From the photos on the Engimoto website, it appears that the GPS mount fastens to the top of the sliders for the 2016/17 adjustable screen.

If true, then does this reduce the height the screen can be set to, on highest setting? (i.e. by obstructing, maybe the last 'detent' position?).

If it doesn't, then how is it that (what appears to be) the bolt-head for the mount doesn't get in the way?

I have this mount installed on my 2017 bike and yes it does fasten to the top of the slider and yes it prevents the screen from going up to the last notch. There is no other interference between the mouth and the windscreen slider mechanism though so there is no rubbing or chaffing. The mounting bolt just prevents the mechanism from reaching the last notch and that's just it.

For me, its a a small price to pay for having the GPS above the instruments and since I ordered a taller screen I figure I don't really loose anything.
    In My Garage
    2017 Honda VFR1200X Highlander
    2015 BMW K1600GTL Exclusive (written off)
    www.fdfoundation.org
    https://www.instagram.com/fotodadi/

• Offline VfuRry   gb

• Topic Author

Offline VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2018, 01.40 pm
    Sep 17, 2018, 01.40 pm
    I'm thinking again about fitting an Engimoto mount; I'm beginning to think that I might trade the last adjustable screen position (2016 model) for having the satnav mounted above the instruments.

Can someone please tell me what the distance is between the two brackets on the main Engimoto piece, that the GPS mounting plate fits to?  By GPS mounting plate I mean that which that is mounted using two allen bolts (angle is adjustable), and which has several holes in it for various GPS mounts.

I have (hopefully) attached an image of the Engimoto mount, taken from their ebay page. The two brackets can be seen sticking up from the main part of the mount at about 45 degrees.  I have also (crudely) indicated the dimension I'd like to know, with a red arrow.

I ask because I would like to mount my Touratech mount onto a rod fastened between the two brackets (I may have to shorten the rod that came with the TT mount, and which the TT mount is currently fastened to).

I'm hoping that this distance is at least 70mm, to allow the TT mount clamps to fit between the brackets in question.

TIA
    Last Edit: Sep 17, 2018, 01.50 pm by VfuRry