Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Has any tried a 17" front wheel?  (Read 3937 times)

Offline wforider

• Crosstourer Member
Has any tried a 17" front wheel?
« on: June 28, 2017, 05:13:56 AM »
T
He reason I ask I see that BST's carbon fiber wheels makes a set for the VFR 1200F.

I have put them on one mulltistadas I had and wow what a difference.

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: crosstourer
  • City / Town: Irby
Re: Has any tried a 17" front wheel?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 05:26:56 PM »
Interesting, i dont know is my answer sorry.  :110:
 :028: :031:
keep it shiny side up !!!

Offline wforider

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 01:58:34 AM »
Just a couple days ago I inquired  to BST if it would be prudent to just do the rear wheel. because their is a good chance that the 1200f and 1200X might use the same rear wheel..
And having a 19" that would be able to work is pretty much Nill.

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: crosstourer
  • City / Town: Irby
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 06:48:29 AM »
You'd think that for same drive train it would be all identical, but maybe because of the speed the F can do and the X cant do, then differences may be needed in the tolerances of both bikes.
I dont know really just surmising.
Good luck on your quest,as i suppose anything is possible.
I saw a bloke at the Pondarosa cafe near Llangollen one time and he had fitted a car wheel to the back of a 750 Kawasaki, i asked him how it handled and he said not great, he just wanted to try and make it work.
Ride safe all.  :028: :031:
keep it shiny side up !!!

Offline BiKenG

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Mainly Hondas
  • City / Town: Chertsey
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 09:33:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by wforider [+]
... because their is a good chance that the 1200f and 1200X might use the same rear wheel.

The rear wheels from the F and the X are interchangeable.

The front wheels however are not so easily swapped. I did look into this a while back and I think the front from the latest VFR800 might be persuaded to fit the CrossTourer if you want a 17" front.

If you want carbon wheels though, ask about Dymags as you can order just about any size you want.
You can't have too many bikes.

Offline Mcgrath

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: DCT 2012 Black
  • City / Town: Swords
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 02:55:17 PM »
Would changing the size of front wheel mess with the traction control? My understanding is that traction control kicks in when rear wheel starts to travel faster than front wheel.

Offline BiKenG

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Mainly Hondas
  • City / Town: Chertsey
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 07:40:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mcgrath [+]
Would changing the size of front wheel mess with the traction control? My understanding is that traction control kicks in when rear wheel starts to travel faster than front wheel.

A valid concern, but others seem to have changed the rolling circumference of their tyres without any issues so it would appear the system is capable of a fair bit of variation. It does some sort of calibration every time you start and it would make sense if this was done to allow for such variations as not all tyres are the same size so it has to have some tolerance built-in. Whether you could get away with a 17" front I don't know. Probably, but I couldn't guarantee it. However...

The pictures I posted above indicate someone has done it and I've not heard of any TC issues. In any case, if it is a problem, just fit a speedo healer on the front wheel speed signal to the main ECU and correct it back to what would be expected of the original wheel. This DOES work.

So one way or another, it's not an insurmountable problem and may not be a problem at all. Trickier is finding a suitable wheel.
You can't have too many bikes.

Offline Big Bob

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 03:33:00 PM »
You guys are going the wrong way.  I want to fit a 21" wheel :)

arab-exile