Author Topic: New member beakster  (Read 3373 times)

• Offline Beakster

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    12
    • Topic Author

Offline Beakster

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    New member beakster
    on: Jun 12, 2017, 08.08 pm
    Jun 12, 2017, 08.08 pm
    Hi folks, just introducing myself, not bought a CT yet, although it is imminent.  I currently ride an 1150GS which I've had 15 years from new, I like the bike but feel I need something a bit more modern and with Japanese reliability. I've not ridden one yet but I'm booked on an dct bike tomorrow, hopefully I won't be disappointed,  and coming from a 15 yo gs I'm expecting it to be light years ahead. I just have a couple of questions, 1 is the highlander spec worth the extra dough, in regards to the panniers really, are they any good or should I opt for aftermarket ones, and secondly has anyone bought the non dct bike and wish they'd bought a dct one, and vice versa. Thanks in advance!

• Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    488

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Warrington
    Re: New member beakster
    Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2017, 08.44 pm
    Jun 12, 2017, 08.44 pm
    Welcome along Beakster.

Think you'll be impressed. Ive had a DCT for 12 months now, but started with a manual that I owned for two years. Really pleased with both bikes, you won't go wrong either way. Suggest you get a good long ride on a DCT, then another test ride after reflecting. It take a while to get used to it. A lot of us on here started with manual then went to DCT.

You should get a good deal on the highlander, which includes a few other bits than the luggage (centre stand, heated grips, wind deflectors, touring screen etc). The luggage is Ok IMO but lots go for Givi Trekkers which are definitely better quality. Both my bikes have been highlanders, I stuck with the Honda luggage apart from switching to the big Trekker top box (52 litre, holds two lids which was useful for me and the missus).

Good luck and enjoy your test ride. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Stu

• Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    592

Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFR1200X DCT
    • City / Town: Holywell
    Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2017, 09.19 pm
    Jun 12, 2017, 09.19 pm
     :400: along
    You will enjoy the dct (I am biased) But as ukstu says, take a while to get used to it. I would only good back to manual reluctantly.
    It  suits the character of the bike so well.
    Puch125, CD175, CB175, C90, CB100, CB900, VF750, K100, CBR1000, CBR1000, DR650SE, RF900R, Bayliner, RF900R, Super Blackbird, Piaggio X9 125, Burgman 650, Hayabusa, VFR1200F, VFR1200X, F800 GT,

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2017, 09.28 pm
    Jun 12, 2017, 09.28 pm
    Welcome Beakster.

Like Stu I've gone from a manual to a DCT and have no regrets. My manual served me well for 3 yrs and over 20000 miles but IMO the DCT adds something that none of the opposition have. If I were to buy again, having owned both, it'd be the DCT.

My first bike was a standard model that I spec'd as I wished. Givi Crash bars,spots  and full trekker luggage. I'd have done the same again but the deals on Highlanders were so good it was a no brainer. That said the Honda boxes came straight of and into the loft and I use the Trekker kit. 

• Offline DaveDee

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    231

Offline DaveDee

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Crosstourer1200X
    • City / Town: Liverpool
    Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2017, 12.23 am
    Jun 13, 2017, 12.23 am
    Hey Beakster,

Can't speak on the manual to DCT comparison. But the highlander kit was a no brainer to me as well, love the look it gives to the bike and all great quality. The stock luggage seems good to me, i can't see any down sides. If anyone knows any weakness's or issues with the Honda luggage, I'd be interested to hear them. Also seem really secure on the bike and one key fits all is a bonus.

Let us know how you got on at the test ride.
    Old Dogs MCC

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 2017, 05.48 am
    Jun 13, 2017, 05.48 am
    i can't see any down sides. If anyone knows any weakness's or issues with the Honda luggage, I'd be interested to hear them

Ive never used the OEM luggage so cannot comment on how it is in use but when we were buying our original CT we had the opportunity to sit on bikes equipped with the Givi and the Honda luggage. My wife found that the Givi boxes gave her a bit more room to adjust her foot position on the pegs, also made getting on and of the bike easier. Was also at the time of the zipped top box , stupid idea from Honda IMO.

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #6 on: Jun 13, 2017, 06.32 am
    Jun 13, 2017, 06.32 am
     :400: and safe riding  :305: Honda luggage fit for purpose but probably not the best. No choice with manual or DCT; I need to have DCT. However if I had the choice it would still be DCT.
    Bill

• Offline Beakster

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    12
    • Topic Author

Offline Beakster

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Jun 13, 2017, 07.10 am
    Jun 13, 2017, 07.10 am
    Thanks for the replies guys, I did think the highlander Spec was a good deal, I'd just read a few comments about the standard panniers being a bit flimsy, and the top box leaks, although it looks like they've done away with that awful zip in the top box.
     DCT wise I had the niggling doubt that I would forever wish I had bought it even if I didn't, your comments reflect this. I live in Warrington so will be taking the bike out from hunts in Manchester,depending on the vibe I get from there (and the trade in offer) I may well buy from there.
    Is there any anorak clues as to which MY year bike I'll be getting, I don't want to buy a crated, unregistered 2014-15 bike.
    Last question, and I think also a no brainer, the £575 service plan, any reason NOT to buy it?
     I will keep you posted how I get on today........

arab-exile