Author Topic: High speed tourer  (Read 4798 times)

• Offline HEN99

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    393
    • Topic Author

Offline HEN99

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    High speed tourer
    on: Jun 11, 2017, 06.59 pm
    Jun 11, 2017, 06.59 pm
    So ,did another 400 day on Sat, most of it at high motorway speeds. Some of it in company with my brother, him on a 1200 RT,  Now I finished the day fairly ok , just a little backside ache , but got to thinking ( again !!!  ) The CT has a lot more top end than his RT but  you cant really use it the aerodynamics are so poor. It needs a proper designed screen  to give you decent 100 mph + cruising ability,  Ok the RT's screen is huge ,  but it does show, what can be done.
     :305:

• Offline harmony

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    231

Offline harmony

• Crosstourer Pro
    Re: High speed tourer
    Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2017, 07.51 pm
    Jun 11, 2017, 07.51 pm
    I often read on here about issues with screens and buffeting.

I have the honda touring screen on the lowest setting and a puig screen deflector.  See photos.

I'm 5 ft 11 (with short legs and a long body).

I have absolutely no issues with this setup.  I can sit on any speed and it's like there's hardly any atmosphere.  Even on windy days.

I did have the screen raised to it's top setting but I couldn't see the road when riding in fog.
    deadmeercats

• Offline pistnbroke   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1572

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: crosstourer
    • City / Town: Irby
    Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2017, 10.45 pm
    Jun 11, 2017, 10.45 pm
    Nice hockie Harmony.
    Is that the screen position you ride with.
    I just bought a Givi Airflow off a member and its so much better than any of the 2 Honda screens i go with the bike.
    Glad you sorted it out to suit, we are all different.
     :028: :031:
    keep it shiny side up !!!

• Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    488

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Warrington
    Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2017, 10.53 pm
    Jun 11, 2017, 10.53 pm
    Givi Airflow for me. On top setting I can ride with visor up at any speed. Zero buffeting.

I know it doesn't put the CT into RT territory for wind and weather protection, but I'd rather be on the CT for all round riding than a full on tourer.

• Offline HEN99

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    393
    • Topic Author

Offline HEN99

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2017, 12.23 pm
    Jun 12, 2017, 12.23 pm
    I have a Givi screen , and yes its a 100% better than the standard fitment and yes I can ride at 70 with visor up , but I  was thinking  more about aerodynamics ( and looks ) lets face it the vario screens do a job- but are not attractive , and when you think about it - with the power the CT has- 140mph should be no problem ( Not that I would want to go that fast  :164: )  - if only it cut through the air a little easier 
     :305:

• Offline Rex

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    175

Offline Rex

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #5 on: Jun 15, 2017, 09.34 am
    Jun 15, 2017, 09.34 am
    My friend have a Crosstourer with a Givi ST screen + additional small windshields on the sides of that screen (it's all from the previous owner). Wind protection might not be superb, but it's absolutely adequate. Bike is quite comfortable on any speeds including the high speed touring. My friend says CT is the most comfortable high speed tourer he ever had. And his previous bike was FJR1300 - designated high speed tourer. And Crosstourer is still better than it. I also test rode a Crosstourer with an OEM Honda tall screen, and I liked it: it does not blocks all the wind from the rider (like Gold Wing does, for example) but it blocks most of it, while still giving enough ventilation for the hot days, and the ability to look above the screen for riding in the rain or snow/dirt.

That's why when somebody say that CT is not good for the high speed touring - I call this bullsh#t: Crosstourer is great for high speed touring. Even on a bumpy roads where other bikes can't go fast at all.
    Last Edit: Jun 15, 2017, 09.39 am by Rex

• Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    610

Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master
    Reply #6 on: Jun 15, 2017, 06.46 pm
    Jun 15, 2017, 06.46 pm
    Givi Airflow for me too, ugly, but it works:)

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #7 on: Jun 15, 2017, 08.05 pm
    Jun 15, 2017, 08.05 pm
    Over 20000 miles on my first CT, 5k on my present one. France, Switzerland, Italy, Germany etc, my CT is a very capable tourer no doubt.
    However, the topic is high speed tourer. If I were in Calais and needed to get to the south of Spain asap, I'd take the FJR over the CT anyday of the week.

Sorry Rex but you can simply sit more comfortably at high speed on a bike like the FJR/ GTR/ K1600 than you can on any adventure bike.