Author Topic: Alarm and security  (Read 6354 times)

• Offline DaveDee

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    231
    • Topic Author

Offline DaveDee

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Crosstourer1200X
    • City / Town: Liverpool
    Alarm and security
    on: Jun 10, 2017, 11.39 pm
    Jun 10, 2017, 11.39 pm
    Hi All,

Looking for some feedback from the biker collective on bike alarms and security in general, both garage and out and about.

I have had a datatool red fitted as I was advised it was the best alarm to have, up to yet very happy with the tamper/tilt alarm aspect. Not overly happy with how quick it auto arms, but i suppose that's better than forgeting to arm it and having the bike nicked.

On a separate issue. I am looking at getting an ALMAX chain (looking for advice on length for CT), ground anchor and padlock for storage. Not sure how heavy and portable the chain and padlock will be? or would I be best with a decent disc lock combined with my alarm?
    Up to yet the main anti roll / wheel away deterrent i have found is the handbrake. Most of my mates who sit on the bike cant move it and are unaware of the handbrake.

Look forward to some experienced advice and comments
    Old Dogs MCC

• Offline Quicksy

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    46

Offline Quicksy

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: Red Crosstourer
    Re: Alarm and security
    Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2017, 07.44 am
    Jun 11, 2017, 07.44 am
    hi davedee

i have also the datatool and dct and use the handbrake option when out and about as it confuses many. Having said that i have a ground anchor in the garage and a big (heavy)chain that is in the garage and the garage door is very secure and only 20 feet from my bed window.

when i am out and about and unsure of the area under the seat i have a kryptonite u shackle and cable so i can lock it to something as more of a deterrent but at the end of the day if they are brazen enough to steal it in daylight like vids on utube etc.   plus its a heavy ### so it's a 3/4 man lift if you immobilize the wheels

good luck and stay safe

• Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • Crosstourer Member  ‐    98

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • Crosstourer Member
    Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2017, 03.46 pm
    Jun 11, 2017, 03.46 pm
    These days the lowlife cut through chains with portable angle grinders. If they use a high quality disc then it'll go through some chains as if they were made of butter.

So consider getting a high quality chain, downside is it'll cost quite a bit I'm afraid.  :038:

• Offline Biker Mike

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    24

Offline Biker Mike

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: CBF1000F
    • City / Town: Poole
    Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2017, 04.10 pm
    Jun 11, 2017, 04.10 pm
    I bought a 1.5metre Series 3 Almax, Squire SS65CS Stronghold padlock and a ground anchor (forgotten the make and model, but all supplied by Almax). Very happy with the level of security it provides in the garage as it's supplemented with a hidden baby alarm, so I'm unlikely to miss the fact someone's trying to remove the bike.
    The series 3 is too heavy to want to haul around as portable security, so I use a Zena disclock with in-built alarm as well as the Honda Averto when out and about.
    If I'd appreciated back then that the Almax was too heavy for portability, I'd have opted for a 1metre chain instead.
    What I'd really prefer to be honest, is a centrestand lock, but manufacturers don't provide them nowadays.
     :003:

• Offline DaveDee

• Topic Author

Offline DaveDee

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2017, 07.14 pm
    Jun 11, 2017, 07.14 pm
    So, up to yet sounds like the Almax chain, lock & ground anchor combo for garage, but jury's still out on portable security. Kryptonite/cable combo sounds OK I'll check it out.
    Old Dogs MCC

• Offline hondapaneuro

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    51

Offline hondapaneuro

• Crosstourer Member
    Reply #5 on: Jun 11, 2017, 08.20 pm
    Jun 11, 2017, 08.20 pm

Hi,
    I posted this on another thread some time ago;
    I was reviewing my bike security recently and after some trawling through others experiences on the internet I have concluded it's important to lock the back wheel as well as the front.
    So, for the rear wheel of the CT, I went with this;
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E0FR2F2/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item
    Gear Gremlin Mosquito Disc Lock
    NOTE; it needs the slot to be made 1mm wider, I used an angle grinder and file - but the metal is extremely hard!
    The lock fits snuggely onto the rear disc and 'inside' the wheel.
    HPE

• Offline pistnbroke   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1572

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: crosstourer
    • City / Town: Irby
    Reply #6 on: Jun 11, 2017, 10.35 pm
    Jun 11, 2017, 10.35 pm
    If you can, have the security lock and chain off the ground so it hasn't got a firm background to be bashed against.
    I have a Oxford Hardcore lock and chain which i slot through front wheel and have it hung up through some racking,.
    If you have a ground anchor thats a good option too.
    Good luck DaveDee.
    keep it shiny side up !!!

• Offline DaveDee

• Topic Author

Offline DaveDee

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Jun 13, 2017, 12.34 am
    Jun 13, 2017, 12.34 am
    Hey All,

So i ordered the Almax III combo, lock, chain and anchor. Spoke to the guy at Almax and looked at a few videos of them bolt cropping other chains. Looked like a no brainer to me. The guy was very helpful and good on the advice for the CT, recommended a 2m chain. While i was dubious about carrying the chain, he made a good point about the weight, saying with the style and ride of the CT that it would hardly be noticeable.
    Does anyone carry a large chain/lock on ride outs and whats your opinion?
    Old Dogs MCC